< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:29:02 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/23/AR2010042301250_pf.html

Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill

By PAUL DAVENPORT and JONATHAN J. COOPER
The Associated Press
Friday, April 23, 2010; 6:17 PM

PHOENIX -- Gov. Jan Brewer ignored criticism from President Barack Obama on Friday and signed into law a bill supporters said would take handcuffs off police in dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's gateway for human and drug smuggling.

With hundreds of protesters outside the state Capitol shouting that the bill would lead to civil rights abuses, Brewer said critics were "overreacting" and that she wouldn't tolerate racial profiling.

"We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act," Brewer said after signing the law. "But decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation."

More at the link
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:18:54 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
Re: Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
Move all of the Illegals to Washington, District of Criminals, where the federal government can enjoy and pay for them!!!!
WØCHF

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
And this is why I love arizona.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
And our Glorious Leader has instructed his minions to investigate whether this violates people's civil rights.  I'd like to see what happens if he tries to push Arizona too hard.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »
"That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," Obama said.

"It's going to change our lives," said Emilio Almodovar, a 13-year-old American citizen from Phoenix. "We can't walk to school any more. We can't be in the streets anymore without the pigs thinking we're illegal immigrants."

These two statements say it all. Obama and this little Mexican brat show their true colors. "threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness". So since when is fairness above the rule of law? Apparently this only applies when it affects votes to get you reelected Mr Obama! The police are pigs but you non taxpaying, hospital bankrupting, school bankrupting, wellfare slugs are just hard working good citizens right? Oh wait a minute you aren't citizens so that means you don't have any civil rights that can be violated!

Obama and the Democrat Party are truly obstructing justice and interfering with the rule of law. They violate the Constitution on a daily basis and get away with it. Furthermore the Fuehrer should not be dictating what Arizona can or cannot do. The states really need to start growing a pair and tell the Federal Government along with the President to back off and mind their own business. In fact they are neglecting to do their job since it is federal laws that are being ignored in regards to illegal immigration. The President and the Democratic Congress should be arrested for dereliction of duty and obstruction of justice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:14:58 AM by DanClrk51 »

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
I'm against illegal immigration as well, but I don't care for a bill that lets the cops stop you and say "papers please" based on how you look.

Look at it this way...posessions of a firearm by a felon is illegal.  Should the cops be able to stop anyone open carrying in this state to determine if they are a felon based only on how the carrier looks to the cop?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 03:05:26 PM »
I'm against illegal immigration as well, but I don't care for a bill that lets the cops stop you and say "papers please" based on how you look.

Look at it this way...posessions of a firearm by a felon is illegal.  Should the cops be able to stop anyone open carrying in this state to determine if they are a felon based only on how the carrier looks to the cop?

Quote from: Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill
Brewer ordered the state's law enforcement licensing agency to develop a training course on how to implement the law while respecting civil rights.

There is NO reason this can not be implemented to protect civil rights.  It is already illegal to stop someone just for LOOKING like a gang banger, so why can this not be applied in the same way?  Someone gives reason to be stopped and/or arrested and this opens the door to make sure they are following all the laws including state/federal immigration laws.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »

From what I've heard on the tube, it does not allow for this.  The cop has to have already "initiated an encounter with you" before he can investigate your immigration status.  In other words, it's a secondary offense type law.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:25:18 AM »
akclark
NFOA Full Member

? Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:20:32 PM ? Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is why I love arizona.

I love AZ because it's the Home of Gunsite, and you can Carry Anywayyoudamnplease without a permit!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:33:56 AM »

The media is just spinning things and misrepresenting the law. As Governor Brewer already pointed out when signing the bill it will not include racial profiling as most of the media is claiming. The bill was amended to make it so that the cops can't just pull you over to check your immigration status. They can only ask you if they have pulled you over for something else such as a traffic violation and they also need to weigh if there are other pressing issues they should be attending before asking for proof of citizenship etc.

I agree with you that the cops should not be bothering people open carrying firearms since it is a legal practice, and the act alone does no one harm and our 2nd Amendment protects that activity.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:43:32 AM by DanClrk51 »

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
That may be the intent of the bill, but it only requires that the initial contact be a "lawfull contact."  It does not require an existing "lawfull detention" such as a Terry stop or a traffic violation and "lawfull contact" is not defined in the statute.  Is a casual conversation initiated by the officer a lawful contact?  The law doesn't say.

I agree that something has to be done, but I do see potential for abuse because the vagueness of the law.  I don't think it is nearly as bad as the media is painting it, but it doesn't sit well with me.  If it was clearly limited to situations where a person is being lawfully detained, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »

I had a dream the other night....

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »
Funny Rick, I needed that

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
Good un' Rick :).

If anyone has a link to the actual law I would like to read it.  From what I understand it is...  unconstitutional.  I understand why Arizona is doing it, part of me thinks it is to raise awareness about the seriousness of their situation. 
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
You want to enlighten us as to why you think that?  It is merely an enforcement statute that mirrors existing federal law, law that the feds refuse to apply, but the law none the less.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
I've only caught snippets on the news, but is not a legal immigrant required to carry a green card at all times?  If that is federal law, then there will be no "papers", just the documents that the federal gubment already requires.

Also, if the local law enforcement can't ask for this proof of citizenship because that is profiling, then how do the feds find anyone in the country illegally?  Can we only have questions about their nationality if we find them walking in the AZ or TX dessert at night?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline TopGlock2009

• NFOA Full Member
  • Gotta Love Achmed!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
A friend sent me this information;
From the L A. Times
1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L. A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.
2.  95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3.  75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.   
4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
8 Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.
10. In L.A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish. (There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County.)

(All 10 of the above facts were published in the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare. Over 70% of the   United States ' annual population growth(and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York  results from immigration. 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.   

We are fools for letting this continue! 

Offline TopGlock2009

• NFOA Full Member
  • Gotta Love Achmed!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
Message deleted by TopGlock2009.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:04:34 AM by TopGlock2009 »

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
You want to enlighten us as to why you think that?  It is merely an enforcement statute that mirrors existing federal law, law that the feds refuse to apply, but the law none the less.
It is simply what I've heard from a source that I respect.  Once again, I would like to actually read the law for myself.  If it is, then great.  Furthermore they need to stop them at the source and put NG on the border.
You are now enlightened.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
Just to clarify my statement, when Andrew Napolitano says "this is unconstitutional" I can assume he has a leg to stand on.  Arizona has been pushed in a corner that is hard to get out of.  They are being forced to do what is supposed to be the Fed's job.  Their best course of action will be the one that can stand up in courts.  I believe they should be fighting this on multiple fronts so something sticks.

On another note, California now says it will cancel contracts with Arizona to boycott the new law.  CA sends prison overflow to AZ, many are illegals.  Does this mean AZ. will send the inmates back to CA?