< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wow, what's a kid to do in this town?  (Read 3305 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Wow, what's a kid to do in this town?
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:57:36 AM »
Was researching for other laws and came across these: ???

9.36.050 Discharge of Weapons and Other Instruments Unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for any person, except as provided in this chapter, to fire or discharge, within the corporate limits, or on any property of the City of Lincoln outside of the corporate limits, any air rifle, toy pistol, toy gun, slingshot, or any other air, gas, or spring operated gun, weapon, apparatus, or instrument for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever in such a manner as to endanger the safety of persons or property, whether the
instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name.
(Ord. 15625 ?5; July 9, 1990: P.C. ?9.28.040: Ord. 9382 ?2; January 22, 1968: prior Ord. 3489 ?9-103; July 6, 1936).

9.36.060 Toy Guns or Slingshots That Discharge Dangerous Missiles Not to be Carried. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry about his or her person any toy pistol, toy gun, or other toy arm or arms, or slingshot, out of or by which any leaden or other dangerous missiles may be discharged. (Ord. 15625 ?6; July 9, 1990: P.C. ?9.28.050: Ord. 3489 ?9-104; July 6, 1936).

9.36.070 Minors Not to be Furnished With Toy Guns or Slingshots That Discharge Missiles.
It shall be unlawful for any parent, guardian, or other person having the care and custody of any minor, to purchase for or give to any such minor or knowingly to permit any such minor to have any toy pistol, toy gun, or other toy arm or arms, or slingshot, out of which any leaden or other dangerous missiles may be discharged. (Ord. 15625 ?7; July 9, 1990: P.C. ?9.28.060: Ord. 3489 ?9-105; July 6, 1936).

While Nerf guns probably not considered dangerous missles, but I wonder where airsoft guns fall into this. If you're close enough, they can hurt like hell, especially the air powered ones.  How about paintball guns! Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the way the sheep in this town think, my children and I would be in deep doodoo for the air rifles and air soft hanging in the gun rack in their room.  :o And on top of that I just gave a co-worker a Daisy Buck BB gun to start his lil' boys with. From my interpretation, I could be in violation as my intent was to 'arm' this young child. >:D

Also, the following section caused even more questions, I guess the main one is; what is the defined age of a juvenile. I have only found that it varies state to state, but can find no definate answer. Not that my children ever 'posess' within city limits, but they do occasionally help carry firearms and ammo to the truck for an outing to the range. 

9.36.020 Minors Not to be Furnished With Firearms, Ammunition or Weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, loan, or furnish to any minor any gun, fowling piece, or other firearm, any ammunition or component thereof, or any pocket knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches in length; provided, it shall be lawful to sell, loan, or furnish shotguns or rifles, of a type commonly used for hunting, and any ammunition or component thereof
for the same, to persons eighteen years of age or older.
(b) This section shall not apply to delivery or transfer of rifles or shotguns or ammunition or components thereof to a juvenile:
(1) By the juvenile?s parent or legal guardian for a legitimate and lawful sporting
purpose; or
(2) Who is under direct adult supervision in an appropriate educational or competitive shooting program.(Ord. 17529 ? 1; July 19, 1999: prior Ord. 15625 ?2; July 9, 1990: P.C. ?9.28.020: Ord. 3489 ?9-102, as amended by Ord. 6675; November 25, 1957).

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Wow, what's a kid to do in this town?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
Wow, that's just stupid.  And here I thought Omaha was bad....   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
Minors and/or Juveniles in the state of Nebraska are under the age of 19.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »
Minors and/or Juveniles in the state of Nebraska are under the age of 19.
Well then, at 8 and 10, I guess we've yet one more reason to move outta this town ASAFP. (as soon as financially possible).  8)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane