< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Customer Shoots Robber in Drug Store???  (Read 12317 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Customer Shoots Robber in Drug Store???
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
Once the Dust settles out,

I'd be Most Happy to give Mr. McCullough III a full 1-1/2 day Nebraska CCW course on a One-to-One Basis, totally free of charge,

Just to help Him get on the Straight, Narrow, and Legal Road for his favorite form of carry in the Future.

He can take his chances with the application process and the background check.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:33:28 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
He is already being taken care of on the ccw class

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
The news coverage on channel 6 at 10pm was actually very supportive of the actions taken to protect the customers in the Walgreens, and Mr. McCullough was viewed as a hero and fully justified in using deadly force.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
http://www.ketv.com/news/23275007/detail.html

actually a decent article about this... hopefully they dismiss his citation completely and he is given the credit for being a hero!  I would also suggest we "pass the hat" to help with his legal fees .. he's a hero, he shouldn't have to pay for the legal crap after!!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
Even if they make they CCW charge stick, we should back this guy, as a poster child for what is wrong with the law and Society in general.  The flippin' DC prosecutor has said the guy "did the right thing", an dif they prosecute him for it, the problem is in the Law, not in his actions.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 01:00:40 AM »
Well if it is true that he was cited back in 1997 for carrying concealed, that also means that he had no way to get a CHP once the CHP law was passed because the charge of carrying a concealed weapon automatically disqualifies you from getting the CHP permit. Am I wrong here? From what I remember any violation of any firearm law gets you automatically disqualified from a CHP.
So he did all he could to be as legal as he could be (registering the handgun, getting an Omaha open carry permit) but decided that it was safer and wiser to carry concealed.
And since the shooting was justified city prosecutor Marty Conboy should also do the right thing and drop the charge of "carrying a concealed weapon". If McCullough had done nothing, lives could have been lost. And if a second offense (carrying concealed) is a class 4 felony he will go to prison over this.
We need to get our ducks in a row here and if all this is true we should lobby Marty Conboy and the city to let this man go free. If we have to stage a "protest/picketing line" outside the prosecutors office so be it.
We need to not allow this man and this story to be forgotten. This needs to set a precedent to change our present gun laws to prevent good people from being charged with any crime when they do the right thing.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:27 AM »
"We need to not allow this man and this story to be forgotten. This needs to set a precedent to change our present gun laws to prevent good people from being charged with any crime when they do the right thing."

I'm in.  To that end, we need to keep posting and writing to comment sections of the various News outlets- Public Pulse, et al ....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »
Guys- Mr McCullough is in the hands of a very good Attorney who is helping him. Out of respect for what little privacy he has left (that the news media has not reported or does not know) I am not going to go into the specifics of his situation here...... I will tell you this though- He is not facing a Felony 2nd offense CCW charge, and he had no firearms violations on his record. Remember the news media only gives you part of the story.

His Attorney is very good, and is working to persuade the County Attorney not to even file the CCW charge. Remember, he has only been cited by OPD... He has not been charged.

Mr McCullough is very thankful for all of the support he is receiving from the public.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 05:37:29 AM »

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 07:54:34 AM »
So what does everybody think?  Is it time to follow the lead of VT, AK, and AZ and push forward with Vermont Carry legislation here in NE?   ;D
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline 475okh

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »
Yes, it is time to do away all these local laws on any type of carry.  A permit to open carry in the city of Omaha???  Give me a break???  A upstanding person should be able to carry any place that our police officers can.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
I think it should be added to the list of items that we want/need to push for. I believe that our first priority at the present time is to get a "Castle Doctrine" in place. Just my .02?
WØCHF

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
Please put me on the list for whatever support the NFOA is going to provide for this man.  Cash, picketing, whatever. 

Castle Doctrine, definately!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »
So what does everybody think?  Is it time to follow the lead of VT, AK, and AZ and push forward with Vermont Carry legislation here in NE?   ;D

I think more people should stop wishing "there were more guys like him" and DO something: Get permits and Carry!

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »
It looks like the 97 ccw conviction was for a knife (presumably longer than 3 inches).  Also, a firearms charge, so long as it was not a crime of violence, only disqualifies a person from getting a permit for 10 years.

This guy may be elligible now, and if Klein lets the citation go, he may still be elligible when it's all said and done.  I'm very glad an instructor has stepped up to the plate to get the guy a training certification so he can get a permit.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I'd like to buy the guy a box of ammo!  A .40, wasn't it?

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
.40 it was.  Eight shots, four hits, no collateral damage.  That sounds better than a lot of police shootings you read about.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
Please put me on the list for whatever support the NFOA is going to provide for this man.  Cash, picketing, whatever. 

Likewise, definitely let me know if we put together a rally.  I'll make sure to be there to take pics and cover it on People's Press Collective - just in case the mainstream media doesn't show up to cover it, we'll at least have a New Media account of the rally (we've had to be the exclusive coverage on a number of Colorado rallies/protests over the last couple years). 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
KETV has posted a video interview with Harry McCullough?s attorney, James Davis. This should serve as a good reminder that if you choose to carry daily, then it's not a bad idea to establish a relationship with an attorney familiar with your state and local firearm laws.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
So what does everybody think?  Is it time to follow the lead of VT, AK, and AZ and push forward with Vermont Carry legislation here in NE?   Grin

Zombiehunter, that legislation has been introduced many times in the years prior to passing our current CCW law, and it failed miserably every time.

The problem is getting it out of the judiciary committee, and like castle doctrine, it will get watered down before it ever moves to a vote
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:42:00 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.