< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Appleseed: Lincoln, NE on June 12/13  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
Appleseed: Lincoln, NE on June 12/13
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:10:36 PM »

Appleseed Season is in full swing!

Here's the info on the Lincoln shoot: Lincoln June 12/13, 2010.
Space is limited so to register, hurry over to the Eventbrite registration page.  Registration for both Saturday and Sunday is only $70 - however, it is FREE for women, under 21s, and active military.  

Don't know what Appleseed is?  Well... Appleseed is a project initiated by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501.c3 nonprofit, that describes the program this way:

Appleseed is a program that instructs Americans on the traditional rifle marksmanship skills that have been passed down from generation to generation, along with reconnecting today's Americans with the people and events of the Founding era. Participants are taught fundamental rifle marksmanship skills that are required to allow a Rifleman to be accurate out to 500 yards, with iron sights, standard rifle and surplus ammo. This is the traditional 'Rifleman's Quarter mile', which is an uniquely American Rifleman skill, that has been part of this nation from the very first days.

It's really an outstanding weekend where you'll get great marksmanship instruction and you'll hear the stories of the events that ignited the fire of revolution on April 19, 1775.  Here's a link to the After Action Report from the April shoot out at Broken Bow, NE.

Want to learn more about Appleseed or what you need to bring? After you've looked at those two pages, get registered online for a shoot. Heck get a buddy to register with you.  And bring your wife and kids, too!

Don't have a rifle yet? (unlikely considering present company here, but just in case...) On a tight budget? Take a look at a discussion on affordable Ruger 10/22 Liberty Training Rifles or Marlin 795 Liberty Training Rifles. (you will have to register for the RWVA forum to see those two threads; but if you choose not to do that, there's a limited discussion on this blog).

See you there!

Zombie
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:12:45 PM by zombiehunter »
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: Appleseed: Lincoln, NE on June 12/13
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
I'm interested in participating in one of these- I see 'one day' is an option, is it worth it to only come for Saturday?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
Totally worth it.  Saturday we memorize.  Sunday we polish.  You'll get all the fundamentals (shooting positions, 6 steps of firing the shot, NPOA, and MOA)  and the whole history lesson of April 19, 1775 on Saturday.  Sign up for Saturday and come out to join us!  ;D
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:04:17 PM »
10 slots left...better sign up before it's full!

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
I was just reading about this the other day. Man I wish I was home.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
I heard that single-shot or tube magazine semi-auto rifles weren't usually allowed on these.  Is that correct? 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:24:46 AM »
You can shoot any rifle you want, although a single shot or tube mag will make it more difficult.  I have heard of people making a "speed loader" for .22 tube mags out of drinking straws.  I have an old tube fed Marlin 60 I'm thinking of bringing as a backup/loaner.

Even if you don't have the ideal gun you'll still learn a lot.  I wouldn't let that stand in your way.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
I assume there is a rapid fire portion which is why single-shots aren't encouraged.  How many shots in what kind of time frame are we talking?   My single-shot is extremely accurate.  My semi-auto is a little more iffy, but holds a lot more cartridges.

I'm not sure I could make this one as I may be pre-committed to going to David City that weekend, but I'll have to check.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Not really a rapid fire portion,  but the entire qualification is timed, and any stress that takes extra time to deal with, might result in a rushed shot, and the resulting inaccuracies.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
We shoot a modified version of the AQT (Army Qualification Target) at 25 meters and each stage has 10 rounds fired with varying mag swaps, target shifts, transitions, etc.

Stage 1 (100 yd scale): Standing, 1 mag with 10 rounds, 1 target, 2 min
Stage 2 (200 yd scale): Transition Standing to Sitting, 2 mags with 2/8 rounds, 2 targets, 55 sec
Stage 3 (300 yd scale): Transition Standing to Prone, 2 mags with 2/8 rounds, 3 targets, 65 sec
Stage 4 (400 yd scale): Prone, 1 mag with 10 rounds, 4 targets, 5 min

Stage 3 is considered rapid fire prone, while Stage 4 is considered slow fire prone with additional time provided due to an additional target and all of the targets being scaled for 400 yd (actual target size on paper is 1"x1", so at 25 yds, that's 4 MOA) instead of 300 yd.

You can bring any rifle you want.  Bolts and tubes are a little more challenging in Stages 2 and 3, but there have been shooters who qualified expert (210+ out of 250) on the AQT with a bolt.  Centerfires are also welcome, though the majority of shooters bring .22s because you'll go through 400+ rounds in the weekend - many will bring both and shoot their .22 on Sat then switch to their centerfire on Sun.   Like Brian said, even if you bring a bolt and have trouble keeping up on the shorter stages, you'll still learn a lot about marksmanship and your American Heritage - just understand going in that you'll we working that bolt pretty darn quickly and may not always get all your rounds off. 

Spots on the line are going quickly, so if you're planning on coming, don't wait until the last minute to sign up, or you may be too late!  :o

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
10 days remaining to pre-register and only 7 spots left on the line now.  Pre-register here to guarantee your spot!

Offline Eric

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »
This may be beneficial for the person who hunts deer a weekend a year, and slept through History class.  Speaking from experience, the Army does not train marksmen.  It trains people to hit pop-up targets (or the 25 meter simulation as you describe).  Everything I have learned about marksmanship I learned after I got out of training, and some of it was from Marines.  The Corps teaches recruits to shoot accurately and teaches fundamentals of marksmanship, then teaches them to use those skills to hit pop-up targets out to 450 meters...the Army stops at 300.   

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »
Me and Pink is Just a Color had a great time this weekend.  Pink is halfway to becoming a marksman.  Bring out the kids they have fun and learn not only about marksmanship (and even use audults will learn something) but also about our American Heritage.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
Andy, it was great having you and Pink out there last weekend.  She persisted, and really improved over the 2 days.  Glad you both had a fun time.  There's a brief AAR with some pics posted over on the Appleseed forum at: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14348 (you may need to register/login to view it). 

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
It was a great experience, well worth the time and expense.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 06:28:53 PM »
I had a great time (shooting hundreds of rounds in a weekend, who wouldn't?) and met some good people.  Here's a video of the sitting portion of one of the AQT's:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:30:19 PM by bkoenig »