< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My new smoker  (Read 1856 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
My new smoker
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:13 AM »
I'm pretty excited about this...

I've been cooking on an el cheapo Brinkman smoker for the last 4-5 years and it's ok, but nothing special.  It needs the charcoal replaced every 2-3 hours, which makes smoking something like a brisket a real pain, especially if I'm doing it overnight for lunch.  It also doesn't hold much meat.  I wanted something bigger and more efficient, but I'm cheap, so I decided to build it myself.  I found a thread on "Ugly Drum Smokers" here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436 and decided to give it a try.  It sounds like these things are taking the barbeque world by storm, since they make great Q without having to dump a lot of money into a professional rig.

So, I found a used drum that formerly held soybean oil and went to work.  I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut the top out, and added a lid from a knock off of a Weber grill.  I think it turned out pretty well.  On my first test this weekend it ran for 7 hours on a 1/2 load of charcoal, without having to adjust the air vents much.  It made the best smoked chicken I've ever had, along with a bunch of sausage too.  If you're into barbeque and are competent enough to run a drill and saw you owe it to yourself to build one of these:

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: My new smoker
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
Outstanding. I'll email you my address so you can drop off some pork loin, I'm thinking 5lbs. How does Sat morning sound? Great see you then!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
VERY NICE, I too believe in cost efficiency. ;)  I may have to build me one of them contraptions,too
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:12:26 AM »
Now I just need to build a cart for it and give it a custom paint job (flames).  None of that is necessary, but it would be really cool.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »
How do you load the smoker? Is there a firebox door on the bottom?
Where did you find the plans??

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
The plans are in the link in the original post, but this forum has a more concise description : http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/general-bbq-grilling/832-our-uds-cooker-how-build-one-part-1-a.html.  

To load it you just fill the charcoal basket and put it in the bottom of the barrel.  Then you light 10 or so coals in a separate pan, and when they're totally ashed over drop them on top of the unlit coals, and you're ready to go.  There's no firebox door because you want it to be as airtight as possible.  Temperature is controlled by increasing/decreasing the airflow.  I leave the top vent all the way open and just open or shut the bottom as needed.

I did ribs on it yesterday and they turned out incredible.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:00:21 PM by bkoenig »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:35:32 PM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.