< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: From Conboys office  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
From Conboys office
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
Got this in an email today. I have been going back and forth with them for a few days now about the age to own a handgun in the city. Last night I asked about the registration law and quoted a paragraph from LB817. This is what I got back today.

I'm glad you brought this up.  You are the first person to inquire about it at any level.   
If the 19 year old had a state Concealed Carry Permit, they would not need to register the gun.  They could carry and possess it any legal place in the city with no restriction.  Delivery of a gun to them would be legal.  If they do not have the CC permit, then it is illegal to give them a handgun in Omaha, because they can't possess one legally. Currently, you must be 21 to get the Concealed Carry Permit.  It is therefore impossible under Nebraska law, even as amended, to lawfully deliver a concealable gun to a person under 21 in Omaha.
The new law only applies to permit holders.  They are unrestricted by Omaha ordinances as to their rights.  Once the gun is transferred to someone illegally, however, there is no impact from the new law.

I sent one back asking if the city was going to ammend or get rid of the registration law as well as change the age to match the state. Cant wait to see what comes back.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: From Conboys office
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
Omaha is so evil...........This is why we need the legislature to enact statewide pre-emption of ALL gun laws.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »
I agree Dan. As of tonights email its time to contact senators about this.That suggestion came direct from Conboy.
Mike

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:43:36 AM »
What was the entire reply letter from Conboy about repealing the city's concealable firearm ordinance?

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
Omaha is so evil...........This is why we need the legislature to enact statewide pre-emption of ALL gun laws.

Yep, I think the issue with Omaha/OPD in regards to the McCullogh situation has brought to public view the problems Omaha has.  I think we could come out legally on top if we play this right.  It would save us a whole lot of time in the future if we started calling on our senators.  Omaha needs to stand in line with the rest of the state.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
Here you go.
"I can't really defend the reasoning for the city ordinance language, and as I said, it has not come up before.  I can see why the state permit should allow for this in some way.  I urge you to take the issue up with your elected representatives.  As to the registration law, I have advised that it will no longer apply to permit holders, so hopefully that issue is resolved."
I asked about getting things changed to match the state(age 21) and repealing the registration. 
Mike

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:05:52 AM »
Thanks. Yeah folks we need to all write our Senators about this. Especially Senator Christensen needs to be made aware of this.