< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First Time Out With TacSol .22LR Upper  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
First Time Out With TacSol .22LR Upper
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
As any of you who have looked into a cheaper way to get in more range time with an AR-15 may know there are a lot of options out there to convert one to .22LR. I spent the better part of two months trying to run down all the information I could on the subject. Conversion units, complete rifles and various uppers abound. All of this was spured on for me when I decided to go to an up coming Appleseed Project weekend and also started shooting and loading for a new DCM/CMP AR. I was advised that the best approach to doing the Appleseed would be to use a .22LR rifle as many do. So, the conversion idea seemed a good why to accomplish both goals. I finally decided to go with a Tatcical Solutions M4 dedicated complete upper in .22LR. Its a straight drop on for my AR-15 DPMS lower assembly. It comes with one BDM full body mag.
This last weekend was my first trip out with it and to say the least it was a blast. Fit up to the lower was a snap and function with several hundred rounds of Federal 36 grain bulk pac ammo was flawless. I did all of my shooting with a standard carry handle rear sight at 25 meters, the range for the Appleseed, and a military leather sling as usded in DCM type match shooting. I did sand bag rest the rifle for inital sight in. I shot the rest of the targets from the sitting and prone positions using the sling. Got to say it was a lot of fun and should be good way to get ready for the AS and DCM with out breaking the bank or spending a lot of time at the loading bench.

Offline tylersaurus

• NFOA Full Member
Re: First Time Out With TacSol .22LR Upper
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:51:32 AM »
I'm glad it worked so well. I know that a lot of .22lr conversions can be picky or prone to jamming. It's nice to see that TACsol got it right. I've looked at a lot of their products, which all seem well built, but have no experience with them.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=492378

That might be relevant to your interests.
NRA Life Member.

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:25:42 PM »
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=492378

That might be relevant to your interests.

Yep, I'm going to be picking up one of those come July to drop in my AR. Figure it would cost the same as a 10/22 and I already have the optics and everything on my AR.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
That looks good, you'll need one more BDM mag for Appleseed.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »
I have two 26 round mags on hand and one more ten round that was back ordered but should be along soon. Made it out to shoot again yesterday with same good results. After 700 rounds I figured it was time to clean as the instruction sheet recomended cleaning after every 500 rounds. The quality of the internals was very good and a bit complex with several small parts that one needs to keep track of while working with. Over all I am pleased with the the package and can recomend it to anyone looking for this type of addition to your AR system. Next time out I am going to burn up all of the odds and ends of .22 ammo I have left over from testing various rifles of the last few years. Sort of a shoot all of those partal boxes of .22 clutering up the ammo shelf shoot. ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:13:07 PM by Wildgoose »

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
After 700 rounds I figured it was time to clean as the instruction sheet recomended cleaning after every 500 rounds. The quality of the internals was very good and a bit complex with several small parts that one needs to keep track of while working with.

Goose - Don't get alarmed when the time comes that you disassemble the upper for cleaning and that little black rubber bushing on the bolt carier falls out broken.  It happened to mine, and to my buddy's.  I picked up a replacement o-ring at Ace and installed it with no problem.  That's the only issue I've had with mine after the first 500 rounds with frequent frustrating FTEs and stovepipes while it was breaking in.  I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and love it. 

Oh, and speaking of Appleseed, 2 mags will be good... but 4 will be better for a couple of the COFs that I do at the Appleseeds I shoot boss.  Which Appleseed are you coming to?  If you've only got 2 mags, let me know and I can bring a couple extra for you to borrow.   ;D
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:59:12 AM »
Thanks for the info and mag offer Z. I will eventually have three mags on hand but one is on backorder and the AS shoot I am planning on attending is in June out a Lincoln Ike's. Its on the third weekend of the month. At least I hope to make it. I have found out that I will need some joint surgery on my right hand and that could change things but I think I will be able to schedule it so I get the shoot in first.
As for the bushing on the bolt carrier, so good so far but time will tell. At least if it does happen then a fix is at hand. I have a buddy who just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and has had no issues so far either. I had read before buying mine that some folks had a lot of break in issues like you, seems the Spikes uppers had the same problems overall too so I went with the somewhat cheaper TacSol. At any rate I have been pleased that up to now the units we have haven't shown us any problems. Its always possible that TS was listening to their customers and have made some changes by now. Like I said, time and shooting will tell. Got to say right now though the .22 AR upper has been one of the better buys I have made lately. At least I am getting in some range time that I just could not have afforded shooting .223.     

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »
Cool.  Glad to hear you're liking your TacSol.  They make great equipment.  In addition to the upper, I picked up one of their PacLite uppers and have been very satisfied with it, too.  I'm wodering if anyone here has had experience with their cans? 

I'll be at the Ikes shoot and bring a couple extra mags.  Hope the surgery works out and I see you there!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
I may have to check out their upper. I was considering (for a long time) getting a Spike's Tactical 22LR upper for my stripped lower...

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »
I may have to check out their upper. I was considering (for a long time) getting a Spike's Tactical 22LR upper for my stripped lower...
I looked at both for a long time too. Went with the TS due to its being a bit cheaper. Glad I did. One of the other guys I shoot with at Ike's picked up one too just a week or so ago and is reporting good results. Most likely the Spikes would be a good unit as well as problems have been reported with both on all of the lists I read before buying. I say go with what looks best to you and let us know what you find out when you do.