< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Registration  (Read 5832 times)

Offline zackn

• Forum Member
Re: Omaha Registration
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
I recently went to register a new pistol that I purchased on the internet and had shipped to an FFL in Bellevue.

I went to the counter and gave the gun to the woman behind the glass, along with my registration form, id, and permit to buy.  I wait for a few minutes and she comes back and says "you have a misdemeanor of theft by taking?" with this look on her face like I was trying to pull one over on her.  I just stammered, and said "no..." while I'm beginning to sweat profusely.  I've been in some trouble 15 years ago, but NOTHING involving theft of any kind, and I know for a fact that I have no convictions for ANYTHING on my record WHATSOEVER.  She says, "Yes, in 1997, theft by taking."  All I could do was just repeat that no, it must be a mistake.

Now I'm starting to panic because I'm thinking that they will seize my brand new $700 gun, and I'll be screwed out of getting my CCW license (that I've already paid $150 for the upcoming class).  After standing there for a few more minutes, sweating, while she talked with another person, she comes back to the window and just says "Nevermind, have a seat over there."

Not "I'm sorry, I made a mistake" or "I was looking at the wrong person" or "My fault, you're fine."  Just "Nevermind".  I got my registration with no problems after that, but I couldn't help but think that the whole process is a joke.

I get the feeling that these people are less professional than the DMV.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
If you have it shipped to an FFL in Bellevue then there is no reason to register it in Omaha.  Once you get your CHP you can even carry it there without concern as the change in the law preempts the Omaha statute requiring the weapon to be registered for CHP holders.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline zackn

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
I live in Omaha, and planned to use it in the range test part of the class.  Didn't want to risk getting in trouble.  I won't be doing it again after I get the CHP, that's for sure!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »
Working for the gubment means never having to say you are sorry.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »
If you have it shipped to an FFL in Bellevue then there is no reason to register it in Omaha.  Once you get your CHP you can even carry it there without concern as the change in the law preempts the Omaha statute requiring the weapon to be registered for CHP holders.

Ron

I had mine shipped to an FFL out of the city.  I want a CCW, but never bothered to go downtown and deal with their BS.  There a way to get my CCW?

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Many.

Chris Z is one of the board members for the NFOA and is also a CCW class instructor, and there are several others here as well.  They are far better resources than I for any questions you may have on the subject.  Good luck!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »
Just so you are not taking your class in Omaha it would not matter if it was registered or not "it has never been in the city", and once you get your CCW it's welcome to come and visit Omaha at any time, even move here if it wishes.  Just so long as you don't get stopped by the Po Po in Da O you are fine moving around the state with your firearm until you get your CCW.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 07:46:58 PM »
Okay great, thanks guys!