< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Registration  (Read 5835 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Omaha Registration
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
I know there are a lot of horror stories out there to do with Omaha's registration.  We need to know them to help us fight this ordinance.  If you have a story please post it here, if you know of someone elses story post it but let us know it is someone you know.  If you heard something through the grapevine you can tell us those stories as well just let us know you do not know who it happened too.

We need these stories to use in this fight.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Omaha Registration
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
Heres one for you Andy. I went to register one of mine and was told I couldnt due to something on my record. This is after having gotten my purchase permit and also registering a couple of others within a few months. They threatened to keep my hangun. After talking with them a little they finally  did the registration. I questioned them about why they wouldnt but the county gave me the purchase permit and was told they do a deeper background check(NICS). I left there and went to the county and was told they did the same check.The entry on my record is from back in 2000 and is a "bad" entry. I have since gotten it straightened out and gotten my CCW. Now the city doesnt even question it even though it is still on there.(they made an additional entry that says no action or charges were ever taken. The funny part of all this is it was always the same lady giving me the hard time(this happened 2 or 3 times).
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
This is my post of the NE CCW page from back in '07:
http://ccwnebraska.yuku.com/topic/579
As a new resident of "West O" (formerly Elkhorn) and trying to stay in the confines of the law I went to register a pistol downtown today. If you have followed a past battle I had with them about not needing a purchase permit, I finally got confirmation from SGT McGee that it was not required if I had already purchased the pistol and was still in possession of it when I went to register it as the purchase permit it was bought under had expired. So after I hand her the gun she says she needs my ID and my purchase permit I inform her what SGT McGee had said and she comes back with a he's not working today and I'm the one in charge today! After a breif exchange of words I think that issue is resolved. Next the NICS is down so they can't register the firearm anyway and they inform me that until they can find out if I'm qualified to own a handgun they are placing the handgun in police property because the gun is not allowed to be in the city w/o being registered. You've got to be kidding me. NOPE. I ask for a reciept for the gun and she says they don't do that for confiscated guns. HELL NO. Another exchange of words come about. She says she'd write it down on a piece of paper for me, but I wasn't willing to accept that. After about half an hour waiting she finally comes out with a reciept, writes the serial # from the firearm and slams the gun back into the soft case against the counter and tells me to sign it. Supposedly they are going to give me a call when the NICS comes back up for me to complete the registration. I'm still unsure of whether they are going to require me to have the purchase permit but I do know that according to City ordinance I DO NOT NEED IT. I am going to file a formal complaint in this incident, hopefully it will get them on the same page.
Be careful when you go down to register a firearm, you might not come home with it I just hope I can get it back.....

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »
good luck getting it back .. I'd like to know how it is legal for them to confiscate your legally owned property??

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
Its not leagally owned in the city till it is registered with them.Its a B.S. law that needs to go away.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 12:59:33 AM »
I got the situation resolved with OPD back in '07 with a formal complaint and interview.  The ordinance needs to be abolished still.

Offline FredG

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
In Omaha it is all about the money.  In 2008, I passed on a .357 revolver to my son who is over 21.  He lives in Nebraska but not in Omaha or Douglas county.  I called the Omaha Police Department and told them I no longer owned the firearm and wanted the registration out of my name.  I was told that the only way to get it out of my name is for him to come to Omaha and register it in his own name.   Yeah like I am going to have him do that.   Not!  They just want the money.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:59:06 AM »
A co-worker of mine is sitting with me and dictating the following story:

This happened in the spring of 2009

I brokered a deal between two individuals to trade a Rossi .357mag revolver for a Springfield XD .40cal as an even trade. One of the parties involved was an Omaha officer. The other owns a private security company in Douglas county. When the company owner went to register the Rossi she was unable to find her current permit to purchase as she had just moved. The woman at the desk at OPD in charge of the property room confiscated her weapon and refused to look up her current permit. This is easily done on their computer system. She was told she had to get a new purchase permit to get her weapon back. Upon getting her new permit she had to fight with them for three weeks because she worked 7am-5pm. She was unable to get downtown to pick up her weapon as she is not allowed to have it on her companies' property (Nebraska Med Center, she works here full time and does her security business on the side). She had to leave work early and lose hours so she could retrieve her property from OPD. The officer she traded weapons with was able to immediately register his weapon. 

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
Help! I'm looking at my DENIED gun registration! Under reason it says "Past Criminal History". Only problem- I don't have a past criminal history. I have never been convicted or plead guilty to ANY misdemeanor or felony. I don't believe they are talking about ten year old traffic tickets! They asked me about a "sealed case" and i told them there was an incident 18 tears ago where I was charged but found not guilty. Any ideas? I need to get that appeal in the mail tomorrow. I only have ten days from when they signed it, that was  the 9th.  Any advice/guidance appreciated. I have my permit to purchase BTW.  Thanks, RJ
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:37:30 PM by omaharj »

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
LB 817 was signed and goes into effect July 14, a month from now.  Omaha can no longer require registration of concealable weapons!  Registry bye-bye.  Now ALL my handguns will soon be "legal", if you subscribe to the notion it's alright to have to lick the gov't boot to "legally" carry in the first place.   

Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
LB 817 was signed and goes into effect July 14, a month from now.  Omaha can no longer require registration of concealable weapons!  Registry bye-bye.  Now ALL my handguns will soon be "legal", if you subscribe to the notion it's alright to have to lick the gov't boot to "legally" carry in the first place.   

Only applies to holders of valid concealed carry permits. It would be a good idea to get one, but that does not negate the tyranny that is perpetrated in the name of Omaha
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
People need to go to the Omaha city council to get this ordinace revoked.  I don't see where a $10.00 fee is a money maker for the city.  It's all about registration.  CCW helps, but Omahan's just need to step up and get the registration ordinance for everyone revoked.  Sorry, unfortunately it's a local battle.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
Hardly  a local  battle when Omaha insists that it can enforce this ordinance against visitors from out of town and/or out of state.

Non residents are required to register unless they have a Nebraska CHP or a permit from a state that Nebraska honors.

This is a battle we all need to engage
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:10:42 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 04:36:13 AM »
Hardly  a local  battle when Omaha insists that it can enforce this ordinance against visitors from out of town and/or out of state.

Non residents are required to register unless they have a Nebraska CHP or a permit from a state that Nebraska honors.

I agree. Next session we have to push our state senators to get state pre-emption for all gun laws passed, thus nullifying Omaha's registration entirely as well as their stupid and unconstitutional open carry permit.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »
My question is... What if you have an AR-15 pistol? It's surely classified as a pistol, but would that be covered by a CHP? It's considerably larger than most normal handguns... Not really sure I'd ever want to try to conceal that unless I had a backpack.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
from the NSP rules and regulations:

002.08 ?Handgun? shall mean any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length or a firearm of any barrel length designed to be held and fired with one hand.

SO yes an AR pistol would be OK with a CHP.

Don't forget that Omaha considers an AR15 with a 16" barrel a concealable firearm, but I hear they will refuse to register one if asked.

Now you would be covered transporting an AR15 in Omaha without registration if you have a valid CHP
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
Help! I'm looking at my DENIED gun registration! Under reason it says "Past Criminal History". Only problem- I don't have a past criminal history. I have never been convicted or plead guilty to ANY misdemeanor or felony. I don't believe they are talking about ten year old traffic tickets! They asked me about a "sealed case" and i told them there was an incident 18 tears ago where I was charged but found not guilty. Any ideas? I need to get that appeal in the mail tomorrow. I only have ten days from when they signed it, that was  the 9th.  Any advice/guidance appreciated. I have my permit to purchase BTW.  Thanks, RJ

UPDATE!  Went for appeal today and won. RJ :)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Help! I'm looking at my DENIED gun registration! Under reason it says "Past Criminal History". Only problem- I don't have a past criminal history. I have never been convicted or plead guilty to ANY misdemeanor or felony. I don't believe they are talking about ten year old traffic tickets! They asked me about a "sealed case" and i told them there was an incident 18 tears ago where I was charged but found not guilty. Any ideas? I need to get that appeal in the mail tomorrow. I only have ten days from when they signed it, that was  the 9th.  Any advice/guidance appreciated. I have my permit to purchase BTW.  Thanks, RJ

UPDATE!  Went for appeal today and won. RJ :)

Congrats!!   ;D ;D ;D

Did they give a reason for denying it in the first place?

OPD has a habit lately for getting their denials overturned.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline MosinMagnet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
Hardly  a local  battle when Omaha insists that it can enforce this ordinance against visitors from out of town and/or out of state.

This is already pre-empted with The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. ? 921 et seq.  As an active duty service member the BATF/E considers me a California resident even though I pay Nebraska taxes.  Omaha can't force me to register a pistol while I am traveling through there visiting family (even though I am a 'braska resident for everything else)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
Hardly  a local  battle when Omaha insists that it can enforce this ordinance against visitors from out of town and/or out of state.

This is already pre-empted with The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. ? 921 et seq.  As an active duty service member the BATF/E considers me a California resident even though I pay Nebraska taxes.  Omaha can't force me to register a pistol while I am traveling through there visiting family (even though I am a 'braska resident for everything else)

We know that, but Omaha is on the record that it can and will enforce this law in all cases, excepting the recent concession on valid CHP holders.

What they do is confiscate the firearm and make it too expensive to recover
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:35:41 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder