< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Papillion gunsmith  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
Papillion gunsmith
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
I picked up an Arisaka Type 99 at a gunshow last autumn, and I'd like to get it checked out before I shoot it. (it allegedly sat in a barn for a long time) I've asked around for the best place to get it looked at, and various people have said "the old guy in Papillion"  Is this: "Gunsmithing Specialties?110 North Washington Street, Papillion" the mythical place where I can find "the old guy" in Papillion?  While I'm sure there are other "old guys" in Papillion, I'm looking for the one who can check out my type 99.  ;)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Papillion gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »
Gunsmithing Specialties on Washington (Main drag in Papillion)?  Big red and white sign on the west side of the street saying Gunsmithing Specialties? 

Yeah, I have been there.  A few years ago, I was a newb and took a bubba'd Gew. 88 in there..... asked about it and if the mismatched sn# on the bolt and reciever meant the rifle was unsafe.  He was dismissive and said "It could be.... I can check the headspace for $25, take about 5 minutes ..... No, I won't fix it, it ain't worth my time."

I did the mental math (12 X 25 = 300) ..... 300 bucks an hour.... I guess he could afford to be dismissive, and did not have time to bother with me. 

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
From what I've heard about the "old guys" personality, that sounds like the place.  People have actually warned me that he doesn't have a sense of humor and can be cantankerous.  Sounds like it's the place.  Thanks!

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
Well, I dropped the Arisaka off yesterday.  I am pleased to report that there was no cantankerousness or ill-humor or anything negative at all.  It should be fully checked out soon!

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:02:27 AM »
I walked into that place, "gunsmithing specialties" about four years ago with a romanian AK clone with feeding issues.  He looked at me from behind his counter and said "I don't work on assualt rifles."   I left, but immediately put together some educational reading materials from jpfo.org and keepandbeararms.com regarding the idiocy of perpetuating such nomenclature and mailed it to him.   :angel1:

He might as well retire and get a public relations job with the Brady Campaign or Mayor Bloomberg's office...
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:31:58 AM »
I walked into that place, "gunsmithing specialties" about four years ago with a romanian AK clone with feeding issues.  He looked at me from behind his counter and said "I don't work on assualt rifles."   I left, but immediately put together some educational reading materials from jpfo.org and keepandbeararms.com regarding the idiocy of perpetuating such nomenclature and mailed it to him.   :angel1:

Scheels was the same way, no black type rifles taken in trade or for repair, then Cabellas moved in with concentrated evil and all of a sudden evil black shows up on Scheels shelves.

He might as well retire and get a public relations job with the Brady Campaign or Mayor Bloomberg's office...
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger