< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Air gun range? (Lincoln)  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Air gun range? (Lincoln)
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:47:53 AM »
Didn't there used to be an airgun range over by 10th and Military in Lincoln?  Am I hallucinating or is it not there any more?  I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to get my kids shooting and paying range fees for BB-guns just doesn't seem like a good solution.  I may have to make a DIY range in the basement at this point.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Air gun range? (Lincoln)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »
You are not.  Game & parks had a small caliber indoor range there, but it has been torn down.  There was some talk of building a new one, but I don't know if it has progressed, or if it is getting resistance from the Casady or others.

Fly
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:58:05 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
Figures.  Is there anywhere in or around Lincoln you can shoot BB-guns for free?

You mention Casady, is he anti-gun?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »
Sorry, but I'm not sure about any place that is free to shoot.  Regarding Casady...opinions vary.  Mine is that he is anti-gun despite what he says.  He fought the original concealed carry legislation because he predicted all sorts of problems...which did not occur.  I've been told that he would oppose any new gun range in the Lincoln city limits.  If that is true, he obviously thinks the criminals get together and go to the range for practice.  Regardless, I have not read too much about Casady promoting anything gun related other legislation that would limit our 2A rights.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
There are a couple lakes around with archery ranges.  Anyone think I'd have a problem shooting some Red Rider style BB-guns at those?  I don't want to run afoul of Depity Dawg da Park Ranger.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
Should be fine to shoot at any firearms freindly WMA - that is any WMA that is not specifically posted no shooting.  I beleive there are a couple up in the NW part of lancaster county, Northern part of the branched oak areas.
N0ZXR

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
If you do build something in the basement, make wooden box and fill it with duct seal.  It's kind of like a putty that never dries out.  You can get it in the electrical section at the hardware store.  Pellets barely penetrate it and it's dead quiet.  I think I used about 8-10 lbs in mine.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
The Lincoln area still has competitions out in Airpark rec center and BBgun instruction has been held at Easterday rec center since the old range closed down.

Also some classes are held at the Lincoln Izaak Walton league club house
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
While I'm am not advocating (or not) that you shoot in your basement, Remember MAXIMUM eye protection for all that are in the basement.  I'd try to find a friend/acquaintance outside the city limits if possible to shoot on their property.  It's a different world from when I grew up with a BB gun...

I remember the 10th an Military range well.  I did my National Guard drills in the Navy asbestos repository next door (cough, cough)...

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
A friend of mine exchanged emails with the game and parks about target shooting in WMA's. Generally, there is no prohibition about target shooting in WMA's unless otherwie posted. And to note the obvious, be aware of your backstop and NO trash. Being respectful of the land and treating it well will go a long way in promoting good will between target shooters and Game and Parks. Have fun.

Offline CurtisJohson

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 01:45:44 AM »
Hey there,

Not for free but I did go to the Thunder Alley range on 48th and Hartley the other day and mess around with my "Heckler and Koch" BB gun....I don't own a real gun at the moment and I had the urge to shoot. It cost me about 6 bucks for a little over half an hour...Friendly guy, 6 lanes and nobody else was there.