< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Harry McCullough still being denied registration  (Read 2583 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Harry McCullough still being denied registration
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100526/NEWS97/705269927#adjusting-to-life-after-shooting

Harry still can not register the replacement firearm we helped him purchase.  The NFOA board is working with Harry to overcome these issues, as well as ending Omaha's registration.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Harry McCullough still being denied registration
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
What a bunch of BS...

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »
Wonder when his other guns were registered in relation the the concealed kinfe charge?
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »
OPD is ridiculous. Apparently the Prosecutors office calling the shots for them. Didn't know the Police Chief reported to the Prosecutor.

Omaha will not be happy until they have a total ban on guns, so they can be like Chicago. Murder rate skyrocketing further and further.

Omaha, NFOA has you in our sights........ And we won't quit until all your silly laws are gone, and you quit harassing firearms owners.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »
There's no need to carry a gun in Omaha, they have the strictest gun control in the state so there's no crime to speak of.

Nothing to see here folks, just keep moving ::)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
This is exactly why firearm registration should be illegal. Because of this kind of abuse. Omaha thinks they can do whatever they want with our guns.
A lot of things in this article don't even make sense. What does Conboy mean when he says: "McCullough also could seek to have his prior conviction waived to speed the local permit approval process." HUH?
How can a misdemeanor conviction be "waived"? Even so, what they are doing is blatanly unconstitutional. You cannot be denied your 2nd Amendment rights because of a misdemeanor (except for misdemeanor domestic violence). The US Supreme Court has already ruled on this.

If Omaha does not repeal their concealable firearms registration ordinance then NFOA must push the Legislature to act and bring to Nebraska statewide pre-emption of ALL firearms laws (as is the case in probably a majority of states).

So I guess we also have Conboy on record declaring that if you have a CHP you are exempt from registering? even if you live in Omaha?

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
Unfortunately they are following the law, at lease the Omaha ordinance.  Any CCW conviction (wether or not it involved a firearm) disqualifies a person from obtaining a registration with the city.  They had apparently missed this on his earlier handgun registrations.

It is rediculous that a person can get a purchase permit from the county, pay their hard earned money for a gun only to have it confiscated at the OPD desk or not be able to take posession of it because of a city rule.

This is why we need complete state preemtion of gun laws.  Let the Unicam decide so things are at least uniform.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
This is exactly why firearm registration should be illegal.

Now, now ... I'm quite certain every one of the guns used in shootings in Omaha, since registration was required, was properly registered.  Can't you see how this is obviously reducing the number of gun-related crimes within the city?  I mean seriously, no one has been shot within the Omaha city limits since what ... last week?  And certainly the number of shootings has been steadily decresing, right?

Oops ... maybe not. 

Offline Fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »
Conboy and his arrogance needs to go just for starters.  What has he done for anyone?   We could start a picket line in front of his house or at his work?  I'm sure he would find a Law that would take away that Right as well.....
If He the Mayor and the State Senators of Omaha really want to stop the Killings going on here in Omaha, worried less about the Law Abiding Citizen and the manner in which they Protect Themselves, and more on how to support them and the  Police Gang Unit or whatever it?s called, We would all be better off.   If they really cared about the young People being Killed there would be 10 or 15 Gang Units with 10 or 15 Officers in each Unit Kicking in doors every night.  Make these Ass-H---s and their Wanna-be Associates become extinct.   If It were their Child approached by these Thugs (while playing in the yard)to use or sell drugs or maybe worse shot for just making eye contact, maybe they might think different.  These are Bad People who want everything you have worked for and more.  People have to grow a set and do what it takes to accomplish the mission of making the streets safe.  Praying and Marching are a nice start but, do you really think these Gangs care about your prayers while they are getting High, Committing Rape or Killing.  I don?t think so??

Sorry for the Rant

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »
Rant away Fritz if it makes you feel better, heck I feel better having read your rant.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 475okh

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »
Next year I really hope there is a serious push, at the State level, to strip cities of their ability to pass any type of firearm laws. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
Next year I really hope there is a serious push, at the State level, to strip cities of their ability to pass any type of firearm laws. 

They did that for permit holders .... maybe folks will get permits now...
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »

It is on the radar screen, as well as Castle Doctrine

Offline MadMike

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
What about now with the latest supreme court decision?

-MadMike

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 08:13:06 AM »
He had his administrative appeal on the 28th of last month, the board voted unanimously to register his firearm.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
I'm glad he was allowed to register the gun, part of me wishes they had denied his appeal according to the letter of the city ordinance.  The fallout would have helped to get rid of registration all together.

It bothers me a bit that the board can flat out ignore the letter of the city ordinance (no matter how much I disagree with it) just so the city can avoid the political repercussions.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
It bothers me a bit that the board can flat out ignore the letter of the city ordinance (no matter how much I disagree with it) just so the city can avoid the political repercussions.

In selectively enforcing such laws, those doing the enforcing (or NOT!) have changed it form a "Rule of Law" to a "Rule of Men".... Men are by nature fickle, imperfect and unreliable.  Given time, they invariably fail, however noble their intentions.  It is always those who profess their good intentions in their desire to constrain your Liberty that you must watch the closest, lest you find yourself on that proverbial Road to Hell.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
I'm glad he was allowed to register the gun, part of me wishes they had denied his appeal according to the letter of the city ordinance.  The fallout would have helped to get rid of registration all together.

That charge was expunged from his record recently. Before the hearing? I am not sure about the timing
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
OPD had registered previous firearms after that old CCW charge......... So when asked why they allowed some registrations in the past, however were denying this one.... Their response was, "uh, uh, uh, uh".

Pretty hard to hold someone to something that is selectively enforced......

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 07:20:42 AM »
I wasn't aware of the expungement.  That is very good news.