< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gave up my permit  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Gave up my permit
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
I feel so naked now. Turned in the permit so I could get the address changed on it.Maybe we could look into getting the law changed a little and have a temp issued like the do for drivers license.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Gave up my permit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
I'll have to do the same very soon too.  Please let us know how it goes.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
No need to go naked. Open carry is an excelent option. You also have affirmative defence.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
No affirmative defense allowed for permit holders, at least according to the NSP
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
That's interesting, I don't remember reading that in the law.

On another note, Is he a permit holder if he isn't holding his permit?
 A person must be in physical possession of his permit for it to be of any use to him.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:34:02 PM »
 How does the new concealed handgun permit law work with the old law still in place?         

The existing Nebraska concealed weapons law (Nebraska Revised Statutes ? 28-1202) was retained in the statutes and generally prohibits the carrying of concealed weapons including handguns, bowie knife, knifes with a blade over 3 ??, brass or iron knuckles, and any other deadly weapons.  There is an exception in this law which allows the carrying of a concealed weapon by persons engaged in a lawful business, calling or employment at the time of carrying the weapon but only under circumstances which would justify a prudent person in carrying a weapon for the defense of his or her person, property, or family.  Unlike the concealed handgun permit law, there are no specific limitations on the places where a concealed weapon can be carried under this provision.  Persons utilizing this exception are cautioned that the place where a weapon is carried will have a bearing on the reasonableness of carrying the weapon.  This exception, instead of being authority to carry, is an affirmative defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon ? in other words, you may have to prove in court that you qualify for the exception.

The existing concealed weapons statute applies to those who do not have a concealed handgun permit.  The statute also applies to those holding a concealed handgun permit if the weapon carried is NOT a handgun (I.e. bowie knife, iron knuckles, etc.).  Concealed handgun permit holders must comply with all provisions of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act any time they are carrying a concealed handgun and may not carry a handgun under the provisions of Nebraska Revised Statutes ? 28-1202.

http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/Concealed_FAQ.aspx
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
I doubt that was written by the attorney general but I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Looks like open carry is the way to go.
I prefer odd looks from the sheep to being defenseless.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
Yeah, I think that it is crap too, and await the court challenge.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
I feel so naked now. Turned in the permit so I could get the address changed on it.Maybe we could look into getting the law changed a little and have a temp issued like the do for drivers license.

I had to do that a couple yrs ago- it only took about 3wks as I recall. Still way too many hoops, red tape & inconsistencies in the whole process.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
Three weeks??????? The law says NSP has 5 business days to reissue it.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
First off I live in Omaha so no open carry without the permit. The lady at the stae patrol office said it would most likely get to Lincoln monday or tuesday so as I see it they have till thursday to get it in the mail. We all know thats what they mean by saying 5 working days. Cant figure out why they cant have a machine at the patrol office like they do at DMV. Give us a temp and wait for the new one to show up.
Mike

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »
We need to push to get the CHP renewal/change of address process added to the online drivers license renewal program that is starting soon
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »
Couldnt agree more Dan.
Mike

Offline averagejoe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »
If you had a Utah (or other state recognized by Nebraska) permit, wouldn't that allow you to conceal carry since Nebraska recognizes the Utah Permit. While your Nebraska permit is being updated.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 05:28:15 AM »
If you had a Utah (or other state recognized by Nebraska) permit, wouldn't that allow you to conceal carry since Nebraska recognizes the Utah Permit. While your Nebraska permit is being updated.

No, Nebraska residents must have a NE permit.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »
First off I live in Omaha so no open carry without the permit. The lady at the stae patrol office said it would most likely get to Lincoln monday or tuesday so as I see it they have till thursday to get it in the mail. We all know thats what they mean by saying 5 working days. Cant figure out why they cant have a machine at the patrol office like they do at DMV. Give us a temp and wait for the new one to show up.

Sorry to state the obvious, but I believe you answered your own question.  ;)

Same day for my second address change, but first time took over a week, and I live right here in Lincoln and had went straight to the office that does it all. I hadn't really carried much yet, but still felt sooo nekid knowing I couldn't.
Now you want to hear the really SCARY part?  The envelope mine came in had been stamped, multiple times, mind you with: 'no inmate by this name, Nebraska State Penitentiary.  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:40:14 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
Dan is right that the statute is written so that the affirmative defense does not apply to permit holders.  For example, if a permit holder and a non permit holder carry into a house of worship (or other prohibited place) the non permit holder could assert the affirmative defense at trial.  The permit holder could not. 

Also, the affirmative defense is, in my opinion, much narrower than most people think it is.  It will only come into play once you are on trial which means you have spent a lot of time and money already that you will not get back.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
Ne Bull as scary as that is its also pretty funny. When I first got mine they sent it to the wrong address but didnt say where that was.
Mike

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
Update...... New permit came today. Not too bad of a turn around time.
Mike

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
Ok, so lets start a thread where everyone posts the picture from their CHP...kay?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder