< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OPINIONS PLEASE  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
OPINIONS PLEASE
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »
I have been giving obtaining a CCL some serious thought. If I do go ahead with this I will also need to pick up a pistol as well. As a life long shooter and reloader its not that I dont own any hand guns but none at present that I would feel are right for the job. I have pretty much decided to go with a 2" barreled wheel gun but am not settled on caliber as yet. As I see it this step requires that I also will need to commit to becoming proficient with this weapon and keeping so as long as I continue to carry it. In other words lots of range time and ammo. In order to make this a bit less costly and eisier to accomplish I have been looking at going with the .22 MAGNUM WRF. Your opinions and comments would be appreciated.

'

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
By no means am I an expert....

My thought is that you need to train and carry a weapon that you are comfortable using/carrying.  At the same time, the weapon needs to give you a realistic chance at stopping the bad guy.  If you think the .22 magnum wrf will give you stopping power you may need while keeping your carry weapon an economical thing, than go for it.  I carry a .40 cal Glock, my wife likes the 9mm.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
I'm no expert either.  Cost is an issue for most people too, including me.  One answer might be a snubby in .357.  You could practice with some cheap .38 Special ammo, and save the hot .357's for carry purposes.  The sight picture and trigger pull would always be the same.  Just my opine.......  Carrying anything gives you a better chance than carrying nothing. 

Personally, I would like to think I'm giving myself the best chance possible when the SHTF.  I carry a 3" Kimber .45 ACP.   
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
.38 Special +P in a wheel gun that you feel comfortable with.

.357 is a great caliber, but not always the most pleasant to shoot in smaller carry guns

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:20 AM »
If you reload, cost for .38 Special practice ammo is not an issue: you can stuff that stuff for less than .22 mag factory ammo:

A quick check of Cabela's prices shows $57.99 for 250 CCI .22 WRFM ....... 30+ cents a pop ....  Fiocci's will set you back 18 cents ea...... and these are BULK prices...

.... 250 Berry's plated 125 grain .357 bullets are 24 bucks..... less than 10 cents ea. .... primers maybe 3 cents, .38 cases are everywhere for free,  and you'd have to try real hard to get more than 3 cents worth of powder in a .38 case safely.....

Do the math: Cost IS NOT a reason to carry .22 Mag.

Carry that if it floats your boat for whatever reason, but look at the question honestly:  Do you want to pay more to carry less?

Me, I prefer to carry IWB, and have not found a good way to do that with a wheel gun..... they're so ..... you know- ROUND.  1911: Flat.  Fits well between round me and flat heavy duty belt.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:58:24 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Between your replies and some reading its pretty clear the .22 is only a good choice for someone who for what ever reason would not be able to master a heavier caliber. JimP put the economic argument to rest, thanks for doing my homework for me sir. Looks like its betwween the .38 and .44 Specials. My next step will be to get some hands on with several examples and go from there. Still a lot to look at before starting classes and application.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think that this is one of the best things about this site: Networking and sharing information, be it about reloading, building ARs or the latest on State or National Legislation. 

You can rent guns at TheBulletHole pretty cheaply, and you don't even have to clean 'em afterwards..... I have a few you can try, if I can find the time and you have ammo.  I have a couple of 1911's (in .45 and 9mm), and an sp101 in .357..... Don't ask me about any of those Crunchentickers, DAO's, or "striker fired" plastic contraptions.... I'm sure there are others here that might let you try theirs out.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »
Thanks for the offer Jim. I may just take you up on it but its going to be several weeks before I will be handguning again. I am stuck at home recovering from major reconstructive surgery to my hand. Good news is I will be able to shoot again with out having to learn to do it with the oppiste hand. It has also given me the time to take a serious look at finnaly going ahead with getting a CCL . I have been putting it off for a long time. Knowing that not just any short barreled HG in a holster will do has kept it in the "I really ought to do this." bin for too long.

'

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »
I have a couple of those "plastic contraptions" if you decide you want to try out something a little lighter than one of those "boat anchors."   >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
You guys have it all wrong.  The correct answer is "buy one of each".

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
Suggested reading: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm
actually, his whole website is very interesting and informative.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:43 PM »
I've got a S&W 686 chambered in 357mag with... somewhere between a 2 and 4 inch barrel.  It's got some heft to it, but fits my hand real nicely and feels perfectly balanced (to me).  It's recoil is somewhat workable in the heavy frame. Time between shots in a encounter situation probably wouldn't be optimal.  It's moderate size makes it workable for carry... and the round is a workable man stopper :) (with 7 shots, too).  I also love the gun to bits, including the sight picture.  Clover time!

I personally chose to go with a semi auto pistol for my eventual carry (no license yet, not good enough IMHO to comfortably handle it for even the shooting part of the test).  The extra rounds available in a magazine is handy.  Not that you're looking to get into a massive fire fight or anything - but it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.  I've already got my pistol (a sig p229, didn't care for glocks, and 1911's were a tad large)... and it can do either 40S&W or 357Sig on a barrel switch out.  I'll have to fiddle with both cartridges to figure out which I prefer.

As others have stated, use a weapon you're comfortable with... along with a round that's powerful enough to get the job done (ie: avoid .25 auto hehe).  I too suggest the Bullet Hole. A moderate selection of weapons you can try out. Bring your Permit to Purchase. I'd suggest one of their Springfield XD's in .40, one of their Glock's and perhaps some 9mm if ya feel like it (i hate 9mm personally).  They have revolvers available as well.

I think, with being picky, I can reload 40S&W for $5 per box of 50.  Don't recall the price on 357mag.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D