< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Colorado to fight to ban guns on campus  (Read 1378 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Colorado to fight to ban guns on campus
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j2y99HuHatssW0207MryM-D4VB4wD9GIFEJG5

U. of Colorado will fight to keep guns off campus

(AP) ? 20 hours ago

BOULDER, Colo. ? The University of Colorado will fight to keep a gun ban on campus.

University regents voted 5-4 Friday to appeal a ruling against the ban to the Colorado Supreme Court.

Republican Tillie Bishop of Grand Junction voted with Democrats in favor of an appeal. He said he wanted to preserve the rights of regents to make rules for the university.

All other Republicans on the board voted in favor of accepting a state appeals court ruling against the ban and allow students with concealed weapons permits to carry firearms.

CU's student government reversed its previous stance and voted to endorse the gun ban Thursday night following criticism from students.

CU has until the end of the month to to file an appeal.

This is a hotly debated topic even among the pro-2A group.  My feeling is that if they meet the requirements, then they too should have the right to protect themselves unless every University places those magic "No CC" signs all over that will prevent the mentally ill with bad intent from coming onto the campus with firearms....yes, that was sarcasm.

The same claim that was made by our anti-gun police chief in Lincoln has been made about guns on campus...that their will be increased random acts of violence.  Though this has not come to fruition at Utah campuses which allow CC.

Fly
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:35:13 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Colorado to fight to ban guns on campus
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:08:02 AM »
I'm surprised that the student government reversed its formerly pro CCW on campus stance. That dissapoints me. Gun bans on college campuses only serve political purposes and have no safety value, indeed I believe they make students less safe and endanger people who have obtained a permit to carry because of threats from stalkers, estranged ex's, and other mental cases or people who have ill intent. It is in my opinion a violation of one's 2nd Amendement and self defense rights.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
I, as usual I guess, am kinda on the fence about CCW on campus.  I do believe that everyone has the right, we all agree on that, but I have met many a college student that I don't think would be 'grown-up' enough for the responsibilities involved. Now on the other hand there are also a good number of those that are grown-up beyond their years.  There is just no fair way of weeding out the delinquents (for lack of a better term) without infringing upon the responsible person's god given rights.

I am, though, more than supportive of faculty carrying. Professors, deans, etc. Visions of that dowdy librarian packin a LCP in a garter holster, or the old vietnam vet maintenance man holstering an issued 1911 inside his tool belt ready to take down the next asian kid that walked onto campus with a rifle. (no predudice here, just history) would bring me much more comfort than the rent-a-cop armed with pepper spray and a metal detector, ever could.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
...but I have met many a college student that I don't think would be 'grown-up' enough for the responsibilities involved. Now on the other hand there are also a good number of those that are grown-up beyond their years. 

Is this not true with society in general?  When I am observing people on a daily basis who could legally obtain a permit, I often find myself hoping they do not.  Though I do believe everyone who meets the legal requirements should have the right.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
That same generation now in college, has peers defending our freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I think I'll believe in their decision making skills...

Offline ScottC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »
The anti-gun nuts have been making that same claim about increases in firearm use since the beginning of time - even though the statistics never match or back such a stupid claim.  But I've never met a liberal yet that let 'facts' influence their opinion.

It was the same BS when Florida and a host of other states enacted their CCWs - not once has it occurred anywhere.  But that doesn't stop them from repeating it ad nauseum...

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »
NE Bull, I have to disagree with you on that too, I could not afford college after High School. I joined the Army at 17 years old, I couldn't vote or drink, but I could die for our freedom. Fortunately I made it through alive. As far as a college age person going for a CCW, they have to go through the same background check, if there is nothing prohibiting them from obtaining a CCW, why should they be denied? Wasn't long ago when a professor went nuts and started shooting other staff, being a professor doesn't mean they are any less nuts.

I, as usual I guess, am kinda on the fence about CCW on campus.  I do believe that everyone has the right, we all agree on that, but I have met many a college student that I don't think would be 'grown-up' enough for the responsibilities involved. Now on the other hand there are also a good number of those that are grown-up beyond their years.  There is just no fair way of weeding out the delinquents (for lack of a better term) without infringing upon the responsible person's god given rights.

I am, though, more than supportive of faculty carrying. Professors, deans, etc. Visions of that dowdy librarian packin a LCP in a garter holster, or the old vietnam vet maintenance man holstering an issued 1911 inside his tool belt ready to take down the next asian kid that walked onto campus with a rifle. (no predudice here, just history) would bring me much more comfort than the rent-a-cop armed with pepper spray and a metal detector, ever could.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »
As I said, I'm torn with my opinions. For the most part, I believe most folks, student body and faculty alike, would be more than adequate to CCW. It's those very few that would cause me alarm. I, too, believe that everyone has the right to bear arms as they see fit, but we also must realize that it IS those few that have caused us/ U.S. to have the many restrictions placed upon us that we have. I'm just sayin'! If it were put o a vote, I'd say YES.
But I guess NE laws would remove my fears as the 'no previously consumed alcohol in blood '  law would remove a good portion of the UNL student body from be able to carry on most any given day (per college binge drinking reports)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane