< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Free day of plinking for non-gunners?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Free day of plinking for non-gunners?
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »
I have an idea rolling around in my head that I would like some input on. I would like to organize an event, maybe next spring, to introduce firearms to those who may be interested in learning to shoot but intimidated by a lack of knowledge or experience. A friend told me today that he compares it to tennis, bowling, martial arts, poker, or any other sport. Someone may have always had an interest in it, but it is scary when you know that everyone around you is experienced and you are not. No one wants to look like a fool in front of others.

I'm thinking maybe we could have some sort of event that is family oriented and free to the public. We could provide the guns, ammunition, and targets. I'm thinking mostly .22s to start off with and other weapons they could hold and fire if they so desired. We would make sure we had plenty of patient people there to teach them the basics and to give support and encouragement. We would advertise this well in advance to make sure the word got out. I'm thinking it would be cool to grill up burgers and brats and hand out educational literature.

So what do you all think? Could this work? I believe introducing firearms to non gunners should be a priority, and this might be a good way to do it. What do you members think? Is this something you think Nebraska Firepower should spend some of your membership money on? Sound off here or send us a private e-mail to jay@nebraskafirepower.com
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:02:06 PM by Jay »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Free day of plinking for non-gunners?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »
I like the idea..........(here comes the giant stinky 'but')........BUT, liability would be an issue. And if you advertise, you never know who or what will show up. You could have 6 bloods, half a dozen crips, and the local chapter of the ELF................ The Brady Bunch might send a plant to have an accident and sue you down to your last pair of skivvies.

I think a better idea would be to invite local groups to come shoot with us. That way, you would be dealing with a known quantity. Invite the Boy Scouts, 4-H Clubs, The Plattsmouth Chamber of Commerce lol....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:49:05 PM »
Yep, we thought about all of that, too. This is why it is still in the tumbling around in my head phase because I don't have all the details figured out yet on how to maximize the effect while limiting the liability. I wonder if any law-enforcement agencies would get involved? Maybe give away gun locks or something? This is why I am posting this way ahead of when I would actually try to do something, because lots of details would have to be taken into careful consideration.

Thanks for your thoughts, JimP. I like the idea of inviting local groups. Maybe that is the way to go, and hold several smaller such events throughout the state over the course of the summer.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »
At the State Fair, NGPC gave anybody that was over a certain height and could pass an easy 5 question Hunter Education quiz 5 shots with a .22. We could do a little presentation on THE 4 RULES, plus THE GOLDEN RULE OF TOOL USE (If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T.) Stress firearms as TOOLS, because that is what they are. Ranged Hole Punchers...........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:47:15 PM »
The Bluffs Shooters club will have a couple of well-advertised events like this this summer.  They will hopefully serve to generate interest and members.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »
Another member and I were just talking about this again today. I think we may start out handpicking the attendees (we have run across several people in our travels that have expressed an interest in handling a firearm for the very first time) and having a small event with some of us volunteering to work and supply firearms and ammo. Might have a pot luck lunch or a picnic. I want to make this happen so anyone that might be interested in helping out please get in touch with me. Thanks.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
Jay,

If you can gets digital pics of said event, Kim du Toit, (of The Other Side of Kim) would be interested in posting them on his site....... good pub.............. and I will provide arms, ammo and reactive targets for any new shooter that can prove they are not a felon (NE Firearm Purchase Certificate works well for this) and can give me the 4 RULES and the GOLDEN RULE OF TOOL USE from memory. I am not a wealthy man, but I do have a healthy supply of .22 rimfire, I handload, and have a hundred or so milk jugs............

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:31:24 PM »
Sounds good, we are going to start some more serious discussions on this in the near future so that we can have our first small "trial run" this spring. I am excited about this.

Offline Hobbessti

• Who Dares, Wins.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
I would be willing to help out with this event as well

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
Welcome to the forums Hobbessti, and thanks for the offer!

We are working on organizational issues with this right now and will open up some more discussions on this as soon as we get some of the basics nailed down for sure on how we want to structure this first one. I like 1hickey's idea of having the first one be almost like a "trial run" by handpicking the attendees and keeping it small. Once we get one small event under our belts we can re-evaluate how we want to organize the second one and make it bigger and better.

Offline Hobbessti

• Who Dares, Wins.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »
I would agree with that Idea as well. Just thought I would offer just is case

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »
Actually, I am more concerned with hand picking our new shooters, that way we could plan ahead a little better and take some of the unknowns out of the first event. It would be great to have as many seasoned shooters there as we can, within reason, to help out and to be able to offer opinions on what to change and what to leave the same for the next one.

After reading my post, I didn't explain that very well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:40:49 PM by Jay »

1hickey

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 07:24:48 AM »
From what I've gotten from Jay about his ultimate vision for this event, would eventually be an advertised shoot sponsored by NF in order to introduce as many interested people to firearms and educate them as well.  What Jay and I were talking about was as he described, a very small event <20ppl, with handpicked attendees.  This would allow NF to run an event, and learn what all would be necessary for the desired larger event while keeping it safe and friendly.  This event has the possibility of bringing out the best in our "hobby", and the truth about firearm use to the public--a core tenet of Nebraska Firepower.

I know that I am willing to pitch in and help Jay make this work?  Any more volunteers?  I think it's awesome that a few have already caught the vision and offered assistance!

Jay, what do you think, if volunteering members would commit to bringing 2-3 people to the event they hand pick, then take the time to walk the new shooter through safety, range, and weapons on a one-to-one basis??

Perhaps we should, as NF, show up and volunteer at a similar event or two put on locally to see how they do it?

Offline Hobbessti

• Who Dares, Wins.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »
From what I've gotten from Jay about his ultimate vision for this event, would eventually be an advertised shoot sponsored by NF in order to introduce as many interested people to firearms and educate them as well.  What Jay and I were talking about was as he described, a very small event <20ppl, with handpicked attendees.  This would allow NF to run an event, and learn what all would be necessary for the desired larger event while keeping it safe and friendly.  This event has the possibility of bringing out the best in our "hobby", and the truth about firearm use to the public--a core tenet of Nebraska Firepower.

I know that I am willing to pitch in and help Jay make this work?  Any more volunteers?  I think it's awesome that a few have already caught the vision and offered assistance!

Jay, what do you think, if volunteering members would commit to bringing 2-3 people to the event they hand pick, then take the time to walk the new shooter through safety, range, and weapons on a one-to-one basis??

Perhaps we should, as NF, show up and volunteer at a similar event or two put on locally to see how they do it?
I like that Idea.