< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Antsy driver allegedly threatens man with shotgun in Kearney..........STUPID!  (Read 1110 times)

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Antsy driver allegedly threatens man with shotgun
 Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:38 am | Updated: 1:04 pm, Wed Jun 30, 2010.

By KIM SCHMIDT Hub Staff Writer

KEARNEY - An impatient driver faces two felonies after allegedly using a shotgun to threaten a man who was dropping off his wife at Kearney?s Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Sunday, the 62-year-old man stopped his vehicle at the north entrance to Wal-Mart at 5411 Second Avenue to let his wife, who was on crutches, out of the vehicle. Buffalo County Court records say as he was stopped a black Mercedes Benz was waiting behind the man in traffic, and the driver began continuously honking his horn.

The driver, later identified as Dryden A. Downey, 22, of Kearney got out of his vehicle, approached the older man and began yelling obscenities. Downey returned to his car, records say, pulled up beside the 62-year-old man?s vehicle pointed a sawed-off shotgun at him and said ?Hey old man are you ready to die??

Downey then left the parking lot. He was contacted within an hour of the incident and arrested and jailed. He posted 10 percent of $10,000 bond, or $1,000, and is free.

Downey is scheduled to appear in court in July. If convicted, and if he isn?t placed on probation, Downey faces one to 50 years in prison for the weapons charge and up to five years in prison for the threat.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Walmart brings out the best in people, huh?
I half expect to see this at the north Lincoln Walmart someday. People will sit and watch folks put thier groceries in the trunk, waiting for that parking spot, backing traffic all the way to the other end, or do a 'screw-u' and park in a stall from the wrong direction. Funniest, though, was the time this Caddy was honking at an suv for driving through too slow, but when I blew the air horns on my pickup at him, he didn't have so much to 'say'.  ;D ( I knew there was a reason I put those thing on there.) ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Wonder what the weapons charge was.

What an idiot.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
If the news article is correct, how about "possession of a short shotgun"?  Idiot is right.
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Bail seems a little low for a charge like that.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Bail seems a little LOT low for a charge like that.

...fixed that for ya.   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
i've... never understood the mentality of people who treat a firearm like that.  maybe growing up in a military family i was taught better...

but... how could ya EVER come to a state of mind that pointing a weapon at someone during ANY cold blood moment is the right thing to do ?

i dunno -- i don't understand foaming at the mouth road rage either, so... meh ...

hopefully they make the young gentleman's life a nightmare for a couple years so that he'll learn his lesson.  is threats with a weapon a federal offense ? if not they should include having him pay his own way through several safety courses....

god what a moron :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Wanna bet he's gonna bold?

The weapons charge probably is for having an "unregistered sawed off shotgun". The other charge is probably "terroristic threats" which is a federal offense. That kid is lucky he didn't do that to one of us CCW'ers ;-).