< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My next handgun  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Cornhusker

• Forum Member
My next handgun
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
I'm getting the itch to buy another handgun, and for pure economy of shooting, I'm leaning towards another 9mm.
Some I've been thinking about are the Springfield XD, the Glock 19, Ruger SR9, S&W M&P or a Beretta PX4 Storm.
Really leaning toward Glock or XD, but I'm looking for recommendations.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: My next handgun
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »
Do you have any particular purpose in mind for this gun?

I just bought an XDm 9mm 4.5 online and got a smokin' deal.  Although, I haven't had the opportunity to put any rounds through it yet, it has a nice feel to it.  It's my third XD variant and I like the other two a lot.

I also have a Beretta 92FS and a Kel-Tec FP9.  The 92FS is a joy to shoot.  The PF9, not so much but it is a nice size for CC.

Offline Cornhusker

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
I don't really have a purpose in mind, I just want a new gun. :)
I do have a CCW, so that would be a plus, but as I live on a farm, I do quite a bit of plinking too.
I know what you mean about the PF9, they can wear a guy out in a hurry, I've got one that I carry about half the time, maybe put 30 rounds a month through it.
My son has an XD, and I like shooting it quite a bit, and I have a Glock 32 which I enjoy but kinda expensive to shoot. That's why I was pondering the G19.
The rest I just like the looks of. :)

Offline Shinobi-son HSC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
The new XD have been getting killer reviews.  That would definitely be a great gun to get. I have a S&W Sigma series .40, which they make in a 9mm as well.  My only draw back with these are the heavy trigger pulls.  Still have to get mine lowered.
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." - Edward Abbey

Offline 2 E L O

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
I bought a new S&W M&P Compact 9mm recently.  It's very small (only 1.2" overall width and with the 12-round flat mag baseplate only 4.3" tall--same height as KT PF-9) and super easy to conceal in a good IWB holster.

It's also very versatile because you can buy the 17-round fullsize M&P 9mm magazines with a X-Grip spacer and they work like a charm.  I carry the 12-rd mag with flat baseplate in the gun and the 17-rd as a spare/backup.

For a 3.5" barrel it is EXTREMELY accurate.  At 25' (standing, two hand grip) I put my very first 41 (12+12+17) rounds in about a 2" group minus about one or two rounds that got away from me a bit.  And I am FAR from an exceptional shooter.  At 75' (braced on bench )the gun shot about 6" low/left but grouped pretty decently.  I didn't bother adjusting my sights, I don't plan on ever shooting this gun at that distance again...

Some people don't have good luck with the trigger on the M&P pistols but I have absolutely no complaints.  However, if you do have an issue with the trigger there are many options to improve pull weight, travel distance, reset, etc.

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »
M&P Has my vote.  Accurate, Reliable, & Comfortable. 

If i could go back, I would have bought another S&W M&P9 instead of my G19. 

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
I absolutely love my G19, and if you wait a little while the gen. 4 will be out that has some nice upgrades

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
The Glock, XD or M&P....... Can't go wrong with these.... Pick the one that feels best in your hands.

If you enjoy shooting the G32, the G19 will feel like a pellet gun compared to that .357sig round!!!

For a person to accurately shoot a Glock, they must learn to control and RESET the trigger properly.

XD's have better triggers than Glocks out of the box, mainly because the XD is a single action striker fired gun, where as the Glock is Double Action only striker fired.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
I have an SR9. Great shooter and fits my hand very well. Only issue is the serrations on the slide are sharp and need to be filed a  bit.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline Cornhusker

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
The new XD have been getting killer reviews.  That would definitely be a great gun to get. I have a S&W Sigma series .40, which they make in a 9mm as well.  My only draw back with these are the heavy trigger pulls.  Still have to get mine lowered.
I have a Sigma SW9VE, and as far as I'm concerned it's a great gun
The trigger has lightened up some since I got it, and it's not bad at all.
It's also pretty darn accurate.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
i guess ill throw my 2 cents in....

my M&P 40 is awesome.  when going to buy that one, i looked at Glocks, XD's and others.  i didn't like the Glock look/feel and the XD's grips were just too aggressive for my hand.  to me, it seemed the M&P was more fitted for my hand.  it felt comfortable and i felt like it could control it better.  and from what i remember the weight of all the guns was just about the same.

for me, im going to buy a small revolver to carry in the pocket or ankle when im not carrying the M&P.

if you can, test shoot all the guns you can.  bullet hole rents guns but its expensive and if you have friends that will let you borrow it at the range, that would help narrow down what you like/dislike.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tylersaurus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
This will be my next handgun.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01/

Me too, or maybe the  CZ 75 compact PCR. I can't decide.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
My next handgun is a Kahr PM40 and I hope to have it today or tomorrow.  ;D  :D  :)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
My next handgun is a Kahr PM40 and I hope to have it today or tomorrow.  ;D  :D  :)

Do you own any other Kahrs?  I like my CW40 but it's taking some time to break in.

Offline Cornhusker

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
i guess ill throw my 2 cents in....

my M&P 40 is awesome.  when going to buy that one, i looked at Glocks, XD's and others.  i didn't like the Glock look/feel and the XD's grips were just too aggressive for my hand.  to me, it seemed the M&P was more fitted for my hand.  it felt comfortable and i felt like it could control it better.  and from what i remember the weight of all the guns was just about the same.

for me, im going to buy a small revolver to carry in the pocket or ankle when im not carrying the M&P.

if you can, test shoot all the guns you can.  bullet hole rents guns but its expensive and if you have friends that will let you borrow it at the range, that would help narrow down what you like/dislike.
You guys almost have me talked into an M&P :)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
I just got in a Walther PK380 this week and took it to the range.  I kept reading that the recoil was similar to most .22lr?s.  I would not agree with that assessment.  Don?t get me wrong, its easily manageable for a gun its size (larger .380), but not what was reported.  IMO it?s a pleasure to shoot, and once I get it broken in it should be a perfect CC weapon.

So I am out of the market for a while, at least for a pistol.  And after I get the new vault I am going to be looking for a tack driving varmint rifle.  Leaning very heavily towards a Ruger #1 in .223. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »

Do you own any other Kahrs?  I like my CW40 but it's taking some time to break in.

I hope this is the place to answer. No other Kahrs but an XD40 sub compact which I love. The Kahr will be my dress up gun where smaller is desired.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »

I hope this is the place to answer. No other Kahrs but an XD40 sub compact which I love. The Kahr will be my dress up gun where smaller is desired.

That's sort of how I use mine.  It's much easier to conceal than the XD40 SC (which I also own) but gives you the same stopping power - albeit with fewer rounds.  It is a MUCH longer trigger pull, however, so it's taking me a while to get good accuracy out of it.  I'm not saying it's not an accurate gun.  I watched a guy shoot the Q out of a Q target with a CW9 but don't expect to transition rapidly from the trigger of the XD to the trigger of your PM.