< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Check your pistol brass!  (Read 3432 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Check your pistol brass!
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
Just got back from The Bullet Hole in Omaha.

Ran 50 rounds of my first batch of reloaded 40 S&W through my Sig P229 Equinox. 

* Mix headstamp range brass
* 180gr Hornady HP XTP
* 6.0-6.5gr of Unique (6.7 or 6.8 gr is listed max under latest Speer, and my powder thrower wasn't being exceedingly consistent, prolly due to humidity)
* Winchester Small Pistol primers

A bit more recoil than factory, but it performed nicely.  I'm relatively new to semi-auto pistols... so although my first shot is typically in the X, the rest of the magazine (even when at a slow assured pace) tends to be wander within 2-3 inches at 7yd).  I prolly need to work on my grip, meh.

Picked up a hundred 40 S&W brass off the ground as well as some 45ACP.  Was inspecting the brass on a smoke break at work and came across my first failed pistol brass, see attached pics.

So... don't assume pistol brass is good just because it hasn't been stepped on!

[attachment deleted by admin]
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Check your pistol brass!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
Glad you caught it. Inspection should be part of you normal brass prep. Is it?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
Yeah, it's part of my routine.  I've just seen so many people who will reload pistol rounds and basically just hammer through 'x hundred rounds per hour!^%!@#!@$'.  I've always preferred a slow and careful routine despite having a fancy AP press.

I've also seen arguments about pistol brass being subjected to lower pressures so it's a lot less likely to fail, etc.

I've been debating if to make primer pocket cleaning apart of my routine or not.  When reloading for a pistol that won't be used in competition target shooting it seems a bit moot... and it'd greatly add a good amount of time to the process.   Would appear to basically have to tumble... then deprime and resize an entire batch.  Pocket clean them all, then make the final run through to prime/charge/seat/crimp.  I suppose... this could get further questions relating to if i were to actually go through and trim all of the brass.  So far I've not really had any pistol brass grow to bad lengths... ?

Although - given that I've enjoyed hand loading much more as a hobby than as a way to produce inexpensive ammo.... I suppose I could go with the decap/size ... clean primer pocket, trim the brass if needed, then go about prime / charge / seat / crimp.

I will probably have to do this expanded routine eventually anyway.  I really liked renting the p229 chambered in 357sig from the range.  I balistically like the round (at 1300/1350fps it's not too far from a 357mag in energy or velocity), and I like how the gun performed with it.... so... I'm really wanting to get a 357sig barrel for *my* p229.

Being a shouldered pistol round, neck sizing / trimming is undoubtedly going to have to be apart of the operation.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
Check out the RCBS Trim Mate. That sure seems it would speed the process up. I've never used one as do mine the old fashioned way.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
Hornady sells a similar device.... but I believe the RCBS tool is cheaper.

I've been avoiding reloading rifle brass just yet... have just a Win Model 94AE in 3030... but lack a range to go to for the 100-200yd shots... so there's not much point in me putting many rounds through it.  Similarly, I'm eventually wanting a 308 chambered rifle... will prolly just put the $$$ down on a Springfield m1a match... heh.

When I do get to reloading rifle (or maybe even 357sig), I'll definitely debate a powered multi-nubby tool.  I'd kinda like to do it by hand, but the ease of a powered tool seems nice as well.  I just dunno.  I'll prolly buy the hand tools first and then progress to powered if I feel the need.

----

On a somewhat back on topic subject... I've noted much of my .40 brass has a slightly angled dent (1/8th of an inch long and not all that deep) about 1/4 inch or so from the case mouth.  It appears on most of the brass I've collected, but not all of it.  Is this dent from the gun expelling the spent brass after each round fired ?

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
Yes, any dent in the case before it's fired gets ironed out when the case expands to seal the chamber.

As a side note I would caution against firing cartriges known to be dented. Decreasing case capacity will increase pressures. This is especially important when loading near max or with high pressure cartriges such as 40 S&W.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
The dents are ironed out during resizing in the press... and are completely unnoticeable afterwards. 

I would almost call them 'scratches with no material removed' rather than 'dents'.

I'll... have to clean my area around the stall and fire a round to see if it is indeed my gun that is putting these 'dents' in the case.  I've taken an unloaded case and done all I could to make the dent mark line up with ANYTHING inside the chamber, barrel, or slide with very little success.

The 'dent' does look like it *might* line up with the curve at towards the top of the breach.  The top of the breach has a gentle curve to it, but i can see that maybe on extraction it causes a 'dent' ?

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »
Hmmm. I've seen similar marks caused by a fail to feed in a 1911 but with the number of cases you're describing that seems unlikely.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:37 AM »

Picked up a hundred 40 S&W brass off the ground as well as some 45ACP.  Was inspecting the brass on a smoke break at work and came across my first failed pistol brass, see attached pics.

So..correct me if Im wrong, you shot 50, picked up 100+ pieces of brass. I know the management of The Bullet Hole and they dont take the theft of brass lightly. Their policy certainly allows you to pick up your brass, everything else belongs to the range.
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »

So..correct me if Im wrong, you shot 50, picked up 100+ pieces of brass. I know the management of The Bullet Hole and they dont take the theft of brass lightly. Their policy certainly allows you to pick up your brass, everything else belongs to the range.

So are you trying to tell me that you don't compare your hand loads to factory when it's time to test ? Corrected :P

The ~18 or so 45ACP i grabbed weren't mine, which I grabbed thinking my brass recovery was gonna be bit a light (rough count in my head was 90).  I know the BH recycles their spent brass with Ultramax for a discount on the factory reloads... which I buy a dozen or so boxes a month from them... so... I have no particular desire to jeopardize their ability to do so (meaning a cheap source of factory for me) :).

On a side note, it's interesting that whenever someone talks about the BH, it's always "i know the management of...", or "i'm good buddies with..." etc hehehe.  Granted, I imagine the gun community isn't overly huge.. so... everyone's bound to kind of know prominent figures... or... ???

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
Ive been employed there for about 13 years, so yeah I do know the management. And last I checked we dont have an exchange program for brass that you loose.

Im sure a few pieces of extra brass doesnt sound like much to you, but if we had several hundred people a week grab a handfull it begins to add up.

If you cant afford to loose a few here and there, buy a brass catcher.
 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=112864

-Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
I've never been to the Bullet Hole, but sjwsti's comments make me not want to go!  If they are that anal about the brass then they should have cleaned it up before he got there. I'm not condoning the taking of the brass but come on.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »
At the very least they could provide brooms to sweep away the others people's brass.  That way I'd know that what I am grabbing is truly mine.

Besides, stepping on the expelled brass is a pain in the foot.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
I've never been to the Bullet Hole, but sjwsti's comments make me not want to go!  If they are that anal about the brass then they should have cleaned it up before he got there. I'm not condoning the taking of the brass but come on.

Nah, it really is a nice range with friendly staff.  All ranges tend to be nazi about different things.  They have their set of rules, and want you to follow them like any other range operates.

The BH allows you to practice double tapping and other stuff with no worries and offers a dozen or so lanes.  Indoor shotgun against a paper target is kinda handy, and being an indoor range, rifle shooting is limited for obvious reasons, but can be done.  Their prices are also reasonable.  I venture part of their reasonable prices is that they recoup money from the spent brass, so don't want people running around and vacuuming up trash bags full of brass.

I've always felt comfortable there... never like I was under a microscope or anything.

I've pulled a few booboo's while at the range and simply received a friendly reminder from the staff. (such as some ranges want you to de-case firearms at the rear and bring'em to the lane... the BH is opposite.  they want you to decase in between the walls of your lane)

I still suggest people go to it... just gotta learn each particular range's quirks :D.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:54:21 PM by unfy »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 09:59:41 PM »
As a side note I would caution against firing cartriges known to be dented. Decreasing case capacity will increase pressures. This is especially important when loading near max or with high pressure cartriges such as 40 S&W.

Another reason to shoot the .45 ACP: It's low working pressure and large capacity make it more forgiving/friendly to reloaders.  Cases last forever and minor variations in charges, changes in ambient temperature, etc. don't cause "issues"......

I have rehabbed cases w/ mouths bent from being stepped on ..... dented cases?  Certainly!  The only pistol cases I have managed to "wear out" are .357 Magnums, and most all of those that have split are nickel-plated.

As for a fast trimming set-up: the Lee case trimmer/length guage is very fast, if you chuck the shell holder dealy into a 3/8" drill.... you will find none simpler or cheaper or faster.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
I've had a few I didn't trust and tossed.... a 357sig that i failed at the shoulder (i'll get a pic of that soon), and currently have another failed .40s&w to show.  Why bother ? Just giving out some info for anyone that might be interested in what failures look like.

[attachment deleted by admin]