< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Interesting Take on Dealing With Robbers  (Read 941 times)

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
Interesting Take on Dealing With Robbers
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
Just ran across this on Drudge.  Here's the link to the actual news story:  http://www.kwgn.com/news/kdvr-elderly-man-shoots-thieves-txt,0,2612691.story

They tried to run him over!  That would seem to be a reasonable threat justifying force to me, but then I'm no lawyer.  What do you all think?

I just hope some organization stands up to help defend this guy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Elderly man facing serious charges for shooting at thieves

Julie Hayden Investigative Reporter

7:22 PM MDT, July 7, 2010
Robert Wallace

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. - Legal analyst Dan Recht said he believes the Jefferson County District Attorney is "seriously overcharging" a Wheat Ridge homeowner, accused of attempted first degree murder for shooting at two thieves.

82-year-old Robert Wallace said he fired two shots at two men when they tried to run him over while stealing his flatbed trailer.

Wallace now faces twelve felony counts, including four counts of attempted first degree murder, for what he described as an act of defending his property and his life. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

One of the thieves, Damacio Torres later admitted to the theft. He and his partner in crime, Alvara Cardano both have prior arrest records and are believed to be in the country illegally.

But they are not facing any charges.

Recht said, in his experience, prosecutors overcharge cases to force a person to plea bargain. He argued that it's just not right to put a person through that kind of mental and financial stress.

Jefferson County DA, Scott Storey, indicated he'll take a closer look at his office's decision to throw the book at the homeowner and hinted the charges could be reduced. He said the investigation continues into the confessed thieves.
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: Interesting Take on Dealing With Robbers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
"One of the thieves, Damacio Torres later admitted to the theft. He and his partner in crime, Alvara Cardano both have prior arrest records and are believed to be in the country illegally. But they are not facing any charges."

This tells me ALL I need to know about the prosecutor and the whole affair. They've invaded our nation and are abusing the citizenry then the citizen is harassed for defending his property & person. Wrong is right & right is wrong.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »
That's exactly what's going on. Trying to explain it is like trying to apply logic to an illogical mind.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »
Speechless...
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
Sounds like it should be pitchfork and torch time for the good citizens of Wheat Ridge.  Does CO have Castle Doctrine?  This is exactly why we need it in Nebraska.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:44:40 PM by bkoenig »

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:53 AM »
Oddly, Colorado has both Castle (for at least ten years) and 'Make my day' laws.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:21:25 AM »
This is an outrage! Yes you are legally allowed to use deadly force when someone is trying to run you over with a vehicle. A Bellevue police officer was justified in doing this a few years back at the Kwik Shop in old town Bellevue. It is clear that this DA is not applying the law here (Colorado has Castle Doctrine) and should be removed from office for doing so.