< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Alcohol and CCW  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
Alcohol and CCW
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »
I am curious about alcohol in the body. If I go to lunch and have a beer, I would secure my handgun in the car properly. Instead of the console, I would lock it up and secure it in the back of the mini-van. I believe this is adequate. Tell me if I am wrong...trying to learn.  ???  Let's talk about this  :-\

Question: How long must I wait before I can tuck my handgun back into my waistband to comply with the zero tolerance requirement? Would three hours be adequate? Six hours? The next day? Has this been asked and answered before?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Alcohol and CCW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:19:29 PM »
From One SemperFi Guy to Another:

Here We Go, Section 019.04, Nebraska Administrative Code, Title 272, Chapter 21

"A permit holder shall not carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or while there is any previously consumed alcohol or controlled substance as defined in Nebraska Revised Statutes 28-401 of the statutes in his or her blood, urine, or breath unless the controlled substance was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically prescribed amounts."

Hard to get an MD to prescribe alcohol, so it's pure Zero Tolerance in Nebraska CHP for alcohol of the recreational variety.

How long?   Depends on how much and your own personal physiology.   [How much you weigh....How much you drink.....Your own personal liquor tolerance, for which Marines are famous, but my own is rather low.....Your personal metabolism......Kind of drink:  beer, wine, whiskey, schnapps, etc.]    The web is full of articles.   Just Google and take your pick.

And whatever you do, don't mix CHP and alcohol.    If you have a drink on the way home---like you said---leave the handgun in the TRUNK (or minivan wayback).   Then you can fend off Bad Guys with scowls, implied threats [real threats constitute (a) 3rd degree assault, a Class I misdemeanor or (b) terroristic threats, a Class IV felony], and/or defensive karate stances.   Or just Run Like Hell.

Always a good idea to have one of those lockable cabled car safes for such occasions.   Plus you can use the safe for any side trips to the post office, USMC recruiters, DMV, bank, Husker's games, PTA meetings, Tea Party rallies, and similar No-CHP events.

Yours for Safe and Legal CHP.

sfg
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:09:08 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Alcohol and CCW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
It really is hard to say just how long it could take for a person to blow zero's on a breath test. Behaving in a manner that would lead someone to test for such a low level would be imprudent if you have a CHP.

Some new case law is bound to be made if anyone is ever convicted for carrying a concealed handgun with a BAC of .001%

My former Drug/Alcohol counselor spouse says that machines and urinary analysis can detect .01% BAC accurately. Below that you might not get results that are reliable.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.