< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Just remember, things could always be worse...  (Read 939 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Just remember, things could always be worse...
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/2493956,mayor-daley-gun-law-owners-071310.article

July 13, 2010

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Mayor Daley today denied that he?s making Chicago gun owners jump through hoops to exercise their Second Amendment rights and expressed confidence the city?s new gun law can withstand a court challenge.

?We?re not jumping through hoops. We have to have accountability. ... This is protection of the city from lawsuits from a lot of people,? the mayor said.

?You have to ask for reasonable gun laws. Until the federal government seizes more illegal guns, that is the issue.?

Two lawsuits have already been filed in an attempt to shoot down the ordinance rushed through by the City Council after the U.S. Supreme Court rendered Chicago?s strictest-in-the-nation handgun ban unenforcible.

One took aim at Daley?s decision to ban gun sales within the city limits.

The other targeted the mayor?s decision to allow Chicagoans to purchase ?one handgun per month? and keep one ?assembled and operable? inside their homes, but prohibit possession in the garage, yard, porch, deck or walkway.

Today, Daley responded to those lawsuits for the first time ? and he offered a new rationale for declaring garages off-limits.

?Garages are separate. People walking to and from a garage. A garage could be in a second lot or a third lot. Is the garage in a high-rise? Do I have a right to carry the gun all the way down? There?s a lot of questions here. That?s what we?re trying to figure out. No one has all the answers,? Daley said.

As for the ban on gun sales, the mayor?s rationale was more amorphous. He would only say, ?We have enough gun shops all over the metropolitan area. I?m sorry. It is something that we think it is necessary that we take a stand. Now, they can challenge it. Fine.?

Last month, the Supreme Court?s five-member conservative majority ruled that the Second Amendment right to own a gun for self-defense extends to all Americans, no matter where they live.

The Daley administration responded by doing more to protect its first-responders than Washington D.C. did after its handgun ban was similarly shot down.

The new ordinance requires Chicagoans to register their weapons, but only after obtaining firearms safety training comprised of at least four hours in the classroom and one hour on a firing range.

The Chicago Firearms Permit would cost $100 and have to be renewed every three years.

Chicagoans would be prohibited from obtaining permits if they are: under 18; over 18 but under 21 without parent?s permission; been convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence, two or more drug or drunk driving offenses; lack vision sufficient for a driver?s license or lack a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card.

Today, Daley was asked whether he?s hoping all of the requirements put together would discourage people from buying and registering guns.

?No, no. If people want to have a handgun, they [can] have a handgun,? the mayor said.

But, he added, ?If you go in the military, they have months and months of instruction. The Chicago Police Department has months and months of instruction to fire a handgun. Handguns are used to kill people. When you take a gun and point it at somebody, you have to kill that person in your home. ? That?s why instructions are so important.?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Just remember, things could always be worse...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:02:44 PM »
When you take a gun and point it at somebody, you have to kill that person in your home. ? That?s why instructions are so important.?

??? WTH?  Just sounds wrong when it's put like that.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »
The Daley administration responded by doing more to protect its first-responders than Washington D.C. did after its handgun ban was similarly shot down.

I wonder which side of the issue this author is on?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:33:46 PM »
"When you take a gun and point it at somebody, you have to kill that person in your home. ? That?s why instructions are so important.?

I would be willing to invite Mayor Daley to my place!!
WØCHF

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:04:31 AM »
"When you take a gun and point it at somebody, you have to kill that person in your home. ? That?s why instructions are so important.?

I would be willing to invite Mayor Daley to my place!!

Winner of 'Post of the Day'
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:36 AM »
Obviously we can see here by Mayor Daley's own words that he is an uninteligent, brainless, lowlife tyrant.

"We're not jumping through hoops"

No obviously you are not jumping through hoops since you got into office because your daddy was the previous mayor. Maybe you should work on your english grammar some more Mayor Daley?