< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Finnicky p95  (Read 3036 times)

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
Finnicky p95
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:32:16 PM »
My Ruger p95 has never been picky on ammo, but recently it seems like every other round is a FTE. Its getting quite frustrating at the range, and it is supposed to be my home defense weapon (my other option is a P22 *sigh*). I'm feeding it the cheap stuff, which I always have. I keep it quite clean (though I am newer to the process). I'm wondering if it needs some more REM oil in the right places or what. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Finnicky p95
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »
Just a guess but usually a FTE is caused by a weak extractor spring, worn or chipped extractor, or dirt in the extractor channel.

It can also be caused by a weak grip technique called "limp wristing" and by issues with substandard ammunition

I am not very  familiar with the P95, but here is a link that describes the extractor removal.

http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/197-p95-extractor-removal-how.html

I would not attempt this unless you are fully prepared to deal with the consequences.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
My wife had the same problem for a while when it was new. We changed ammo and that helped. What I found was that if I put more oil on the rails it would work much better.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
Have you been loading all rounds into the chamber via the magazine?

In other words, not dropping any individual rounds in the chamber and releasing the slide?

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
I've done both, when it fte's it stovepipes sometimes and tries to load the next round, a couple times I have pulled the slide all the way back, dropped the mag and inserted the round that was trying to load. Often times it fails to eject too.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
I am not familiar with the p95 ..... but with some guns that have an internal extractor (most 1911's), dropping the slide on a chambered round means the extractor has to snap up over the case rim.... bad juju, that.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I will put a stop to that practice immediately.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »
So you may need to have the extractor replaced if it has been chipped then.

Also check to make sure there is not a lot of build up around the extractor area, and that it is nice and clean (as well as the chamber)

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
Will do. Today is my 7th in a row at work, but I have tomorrow off, planning on getting it taken care of tonight, and taking it out tomorrow.

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »
I have had one for a few years without any issues.  If you get tired of tinkering around on it and want to pick up a used one, PM me.   Good luck!

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
Thank you for the offer, my fiancee will probably not let me buy a duplicate handgun when I'm supposed to be getting my first AR early next year lol. Also thank you for all the input, it really is greatly appreciated. I am really glad we have a group of like-minded individuals who are willing to be helpful to one another. I will keep you posted on the results, hell I do most of my posting via my phone anyhow, so I will let you all know as soon as I do.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 02:55:42 PM »
Didn't make it out yesterday due to weather lol. Should be going out sunday :(

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »
I would struggle justifying that to my wife as well, unless i told her i was buying it for her!   That line worked for my last 4 acquisitions....  Hopefully , many more to come.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
Put one round in the magazine and fire. If there is enough recoil to lock the slide open on an empty magazine then it has nothing to do with recoil spring or weak hand hold.

There are now 3 componants, the extractor tension is weak, the extractor is broken, there is a problem with the ejector or the feed lips on the magazines have spread such that the bullet tips are riding so high that the empty cases are hitting the tips of the bullets and being knocked off the bolt face before the slide goes back far enough for the empty case hits the ejector.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
Thank you, that makes sense. I'm taking it out tomorrow hopefully. I cleaned it so well it looks brand new, I'm really hoping that's all it was.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 07:03:23 PM »
Well, mixed results. I loaded and fired only 1 and it held the slide back, but out of the 2 mags I fired I had 1 FTE...so now I'm a bit confused. A good cleaning certainly helped, but didn't completely solve the problem. I guess something is better than nothing.