< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SMITH & WESSON SIGMA  (Read 4159 times)

Offline VooDoo69

• NFOA Full Member
SMITH & WESSON SIGMA
« on: November 28, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »

Got this about a month ago really like it.Trigger little heavy at 9lbs but I still love shooting it.Also a .40cal
Chad Lloyd
Saiga .410
HI-point 9mm
Sold the rest.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: SMITH & WESSON SIGMA
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »
9 lb trigger?  Day-um..... there's bowling balls that don't weigh that.......  I guess if you got used to it, it'd be OK.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:19:28 AM »
Sigma, how does the Sigma compare to S&W's M&P models?
Very reasonable price tag.
A comparison test would be of interest.
Are there any options for the trigger pull weight?
Is this a striker type firing system?
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
Randy,
The Sigma is a striker-fired pistol.  As for trigger weight, if you Google it, you'll see there are some modifications you can make to reduce the pull weight.  Supposedly, these mods reduce reliability to some degree.

The M&P offers interchangeable backstraps and is different mechanically.  There's also a much stronger aftermarket for the M&P.
NRA Life Member.

Offline VooDoo69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
Here is the Mod I don't see the need for it really not that bad.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/520103904/m/2711011482

I read somewhere in a review the gun has 9.1lbs the mod here I think says 4.75 either way dont bother me
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:08:55 PM by VooDoo69 »
Chad Lloyd
Saiga .410
HI-point 9mm
Sold the rest.

Offline VooDoo69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »
Sigma, how does the Sigma compare to S&W's M&P models?
Very reasonable price tag.
A comparison test would be of interest.
Are there any options for the trigger pull weight?
Is this a striker type firing system?
If you look at a Sigma M&P and compare it to the Glock 21 there real close.
 GLOCK 21                                      M&P                                                                                                   
Weight w/ Empty Mag 29.5                              28.7
Trigger Reach 2.936                                       2.716
Grip Circumference 5.818 to 6.286                    5.552 to 5.594
Grip Frame Thickness (Max) 1.284                    1.190 to 1.321
Grip Frame Thickness (Min) 1.262                     1.082
Slide Thickness 1.125                                    1.082
Height w/ Mag 5.556                                     5.4
Overall Length 7.59                                       7.75
Barrel Length 4.6                                          4.6
Trigger Travel .5                                           .3
Trigger Pull 5 lbs 10 oz                                 6 lbs 12 oz
Ammo Capacity 13+1                                   10+1

All Information came from www.gunblast.com
http://www.gunblast.com/SW-MP45.htm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:51:50 PM by VooDoo69 »
Chad Lloyd
Saiga .410
HI-point 9mm
Sold the rest.

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »
How is it still performing?  I have been thinking about picking one up....  The last time i went shopping I ended up with a Glock 19   ;D   

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
No Comparison between the S&W SIGMA vs S&W's M&P
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
The Sigma was introduced in 1994 in the Sigma 40 version followed by the 9mm. It was basically a "knock off" of the Glock and intended to be Smith's answer to same.
In fact Glock eventually filed a lawsuit against S&W for patent infringement. Smith ended up changing the trigger system to avoid patent issues with Glock.
The original versions did develop a reputation for a stiff trigger and some feeding/ejection problems. Smith changed the original design in 1999 by shortening the barrel and slide, adding an accessory rail, and more importantly, enlarging the ejection port.
Sigma and SW99 pistols were good guns, the M&P introduced in fall 2005 is better.

Not to be confused with Smith and Wesson Military and Police Model 10 revolver developed in 1899.

Sigma http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=53917&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15713&isFirearm=Y

M&P http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=88455&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15711&isFirearm=Y
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »
VoooDoo69,

I purchased a new spring from Wolf Springs and put it in my Sigma. I think it reduced the pull to around 6 lbs. You can ordered them directly from their website or you can buy them from Midway USA. 
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I own both a Sigma and an M&P40. Two totally different weapons systems. The Sigma's trigger is very similar in weight to a DA revolver. Not quite as smooth as S&W triggers should be but after you put about 1k rounds through the gun it smoothes up and lightens a bit. It's really not an issue except for those who make it one. The M&P is a fantastic weapon. Alot of law enforcement agencies have switched over to the system including the one I work for. I started with my current P.D. being required to carry a Glock 22 and we just transitioned to the M&P40. I like the S&W much better. The grip is much more comfortable and natural feeling, the trigger pull is very good and seems to be getting better as the round count is going up. I don't understand some of the bad feelings towards S&W pistols. I've carried S&W since starting in law enforcement back in the early 90's and I always felt I carried one of the best quality firearms available. I've never had to use S&W to fix any of my guns but from what I read on the S&W forums is that their customer service is hard to beat. I have ordered a few items from them and they are very helpful. They will have my business for a long time to come.

Offline DJPeter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
Sounds like the Smith & Wesson  M&P wins over the Sigma model. Does anyone know the price difference between the two models?

"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country".
James Madison

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
i have a S&W sigma 40VE and i hate it.  im trading it in for a M&P.  (it will match my S&W M&P15T rifle)

the sigma has a hard plastic body and the grip isn't the best.  there's a reason why its sooo cheap.

the M&P has changeable grips, more capacity, better looks/feel and just better quality.

go with the M&P!

robert
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »
Depending on the model, features, promotions, and place of purchase, an M&P will generally run ~$150 more than a Sigma.

If  absolutely can't swing a new M&P, I'd consider a used Glock.  If you can live with a metal-framed gun, used Berettas and S&W autos are also fairly common and cheap.  Check CDNN and Summit Gun Broker.
NRA Life Member.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »
i had a sigma for a few months.  i shot it a lot.  and frankly i traded it in for a M&P.  the sigma was good for the price, but the trigger pull and accuracy wasn't good (but then again, i can't hit anything with a handgun).

also, i didn't have the money for an M&P but i traded it in and got my 2 free mags with S&W's mag promo.

M&P is a lot better.....but to each his own.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 11:19:04 PM »
You can easily modify the Sigma's trigger pull to be much lighter.  There are a couple of springs at the rear of the lever that's actuated by the trigger (can't recall the technical term right now).  They consist of one spring inside another.  S&W put them in there to deliberately make the pull heavier for "safety" reasons, or so I'm told.  If you take one of them out it helps the pull immensely.  Mine had a horrible trigger when I got it.  It was like a formal dinner at the Adam's Family house - stiff and creepy.  Now it's only mildly repulsive, still really long and gritty, but a lot lighter.

I don't think I'd try the lighter weight striker spring, because it really seems like it would reduce reliability.  The only trouble I've had with mine is with Wolf ammo which apparently has hard primers.  About 1 or 2 in 10 wouldn't fire. 

Overall, though, it's a pretty good pistol for the price.  Mine is reasonably accurate for a combat handgun, especially considering I don't really shoot pistols much.  I can easily keep a full mag on a paper plate at 25 yards, which even though it won't win me any competitions is good enough to take down any goblins who break into my house.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:24:24 PM by bkoenig »