< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading supplies - bullets and powder  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Reloading supplies - bullets and powder
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
I'm rapidly coming to the end of the supplies bequeathed to me by my father along with the press and I've started looking for sources for more stuff.

I have a good recommendation for these guys for lead bullets and their prices are excellent.  http://grandmasterbullets.com/  Has anyone bought anything from them?

I'm looking at the .357 SWC, and RNFP (158 gr.)  for general target and plinking loads.

Anyone have any recommendations on a local supplier for powder?  I have a smidge of Bullseye left, and then I need to find something else. 

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Reloading supplies - bullets and powder
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
Another good place to buy lead bullets is Missouri Bullet Co.  I believe they are the third largest bullet reloading supplier in the US.  Great prices, quality product, great customer service, extremely fast shipping (orders are usually shipped same day), dsicount for certain gun clubs and web forums, and is a fairly local company.  As far as powder goes I think Guns Unlimited has the best powder selection.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:40:41 PM »
grand master bullets seems to have appropriate pricing.  missouri is also similarly priced.  My recent purchase was from a "AJ's Cast Bullets" or something like that out of Ocala, FL and have nothing but praise for'em.  So ... that's... 3 sources of lead :)... all ... fairly similar.

I, personally, am afraid to put lead through my 357mag.  The higher velocities just seem like a leading disaster waiting to happen.  I'll undoubtedly try it one day, but... given that I shoot it more as a pride/joy/love thing... i don't mind getting plated/jacketed bullets to load for it.  Btw, Win 296 is an awesome 357mag powder. much much <3

Powder near Omaha is definitely Guns Unlimited in my searchings so far.  Cabela's doesn't seem to carry the 8lb'ers.  GU's powder prices are decent, have a wide variety, and you can actually handle the powder (not behind a counter).  About a month ago, GU also had primers on sale ($125 for 5000).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »
I found some links for Missouri and A.J.'s.

http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php

http://www.round2brass.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=43

Don't fear the lead unfy.   :D  In all seriousness between my Dad and myself we've probably put a couple of thousand rounds of lead bullets through our .357's and we've had nary a problem with leading.  Of course we also use very light loads with the lead bullets.  By very light I'm talking sub 1000 fps muzzle velocity.  My current load uses 4.5 gr of Bullseye behind a 158 gr bullet.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
Grand Master Bullets and AJ's Cast Bullets are both on www.reloadersauction.com.  There's also a "Master Caster"... that... I've not had any product experience with, but will try them the next time I pick up some lead.

As far as lead and the 357mag -- I love my S&W 686 with a short (3" i think) barrel oh so much.  I want to hear it roar.  To me, it's got a more satisfying report and recoil than a 41 or 44mag  :angel1:.  Even at the starting load mentioned in the latest Hornady book (which is less than mentioned in the speer's book for same weight), it's oh so satisfying. I even bend over and whisper 'daddy loves you' to it after every cylinder ;D

And since I shoot it for 'wuv' and not for practicality, I'll gladly feed it copper. I have no desire to put 38special or lighter equivalent loads through it  >:D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
I also use Missouri Bullet Co's bullets - their 230gr 'Softball' .45 ACP bullets.

For local powder, I get it from 3 Lees at various gun shows in the state. 

If you order it online, you generally have to order $400-$500 worth of powder and primers to make it worthwhile between shipping costs and hazmat.  If you can round up a few friends to get to that mark, Powder Valley is good to order from, as is Wideners. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:59:15 AM »
I shoot Missouri Bullet Co. bullets through my .357 and get almost no leading.  Just use the right ones.  For example, they offer the same bullet weight and shape for .38 spl and .357 mag.  The difference is that the bullets for .357 are made from a harder alloy.