< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why do people love the black rifles so much ?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Why do people love the black rifles so much ?
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:36:58 AM »
Seriously.  What is the fascination with the AR15 style rifles ?  I personally find them extremely ugly visually, don't overtly approve of the function, and have nothing positive to say about the 223 round.

Why do so many people love these infernal things ?

With most weapons I can find redeeming qualities that I can see people enjoying, but not these. The closest I can come to understanding the fascination is with the semi-modular build for customization and maybe some romance due to being trained with one in the military earlier in life. The last 'stretch' might be higher capacity magazines being available.

I hate them, I know others love them. I understand that they love them and respect their love... but... WHY  ???

*ducks*
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
Re: Why do people love the black rifles so much ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »
I have an Armalite AR10A2 which chambers 7.62 X 54. I wanted a stronger round than the 5.56 but like the function of the AR style. I can, and do, load up a 4 round mag with .308 for hunting. I bought it primarily as a defensive weapon against the day when our freedom, safety and way of life are threatened by internal or external forces.
WØCHF

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56:57 AM »
I wouldn't say I "love" AR-style rifles but I have to ask ... What is your counter-proposal for a relatively inexpensive, reliable, lightweight, semi-automatic rifle in a caliber that is inexpensive to shoot and has been battle-proven?

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »
Seriously.  What is the fascination with the AR15 style rifles ?  I personally find them extremely ugly visually, don't overtly approve of the function, and have nothing positive to say about the 223 round.

Why do so many people love these infernal things ?

With most weapons I can find redeeming qualities that I can see people enjoying, but not these. The closest I can come to understanding the fascination is with the semi-modular build for customization and maybe some romance due to being trained with one in the military earlier in life. The last 'stretch' might be higher capacity magazines being available.

I hate them, I know others love them. I understand that they love them and respect their love... but... WHY  ???

*ducks*

First when you say 'Black Rifle' I don't automatically assume 'AR' I think 'Military style' including the FAL, AK, etc.

Beyond that while I don't LOVE the AR platform necessarily, I do appreciate it and recognize it does have a lot going for it. As you mention it is extremely modular & customized. That counters your argument about the .223- just get a 6.8, 6.5, .308, etc. Don't care for the carbine? Then get a 20" rifle, don't like DI? then get a piston...you get the idea. It has a jillion accessories, options & configurations. I have a Win M94, about all I can do with it is (maybe) add a scope or different sights. Same for my Remington 700 or even my FAL's, other then changing the stocks. With an AR I can pull 2 pins, swap out uppers & lowers and have a huge variety. Plus it has proven itself over 40+ yrs of combat & competition. Importantly, they are pretty accurate- more so then any other semi-auto I own. Finally they aren't that expensive anymore- you can get a very decent complete rifle for under $800. Try that with a M14, FAL, ACR, SCAR, Aug, etc. And mags are dirt cheap and everywhere too. Would you rather have a Mini 30?

I agree the AR isn't the most beautiful or even interesting rifle platform, I think it has too many little springs and is a pain to clean.....but on the whole it brings a lot to the table and is awfully hard to beat.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline senax

• NFOA Full Member
  • Trust, but verify.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »
To me, it's partly the modular nature of the AR platform. It's like LEGO for grownups...you can mix and match to make it just what you want, and it doesn't take a gunsmith to do a lot of different things with it.

It's simple, reliable (not as much as some, but more than most), has nice ergonomics and is a handy size. Ammo is reasonably priced, as are the rifle and most accessories. I was introduced to the AR in military service, so maybe that's a factor. The gadget freak in me admires an efficient, well-designed mechanism.

As for the way it looks, I think it's attractive in a functional way, which is not the same beauty one would see in a hunting rifle with a nice walnut stock. Military hardware tends to be that way.

You say you hate it. Would you mind explaining why?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
It's a tool. It works well.

Beauty...not a high priority to me.

I have a $6,000 Ljutic trap shotgun, uglier than sin by most peoples thinkin. All it does is crush targets. Over a million I would guess in the last 45 years.

My AR's are just as efficient, as are my Glocks.

You might be picking up on a theme here.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »
I wasn't a fan until I played around with one.  Now I have one of my own and absolutely love it. 

It's accurate (granted, not as accurate as a good bolt gun, but darn good for an autoloader).  It's modular, so I was able to set my rifle up exactly like I wanted it.  Set up correctly they're extremely reliable - don't believe all the BS about them being jam-o-matics.  To top it off, it's probably the most versatile rifle out there.  Pull two pins and swap in a new upper and there's not much you can't do with an AR.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »
I had one that grouped better than any bolt rifle I have ever owned, JP 20 inch with low mass bolt. Play with an AR a while and you will catch the BRD also.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
Trucks, women, guns; proof that everything is sexier when you dress it in black!!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Engineer5

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »
As mentioned before the AR platform is like LEGO's for adults.  I can literally build one from the ground up.  The only thing I need to transfer through my FFL is the stripped lower receiver.  Every other single part I can order on line and have it shipped to my door.  There are a ton of parts to allow you to customize it any way you want.  If I don't like how it's set up I can literally change it to any configuration I want.  I can even change calibers.  Your imagination is the limit when it comes to building AR's. 

The AR platform has become a hobby for me.  I have built a 10.5" SBR, several 16" carbines, 18" and 20" rifles.  No gunsmith required.  You can do it all at home with a few inexpensive tools.  What could be more fun than building your own guns?

My lever actions and bolt guns rarely leave the safe anymore........
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:21:55 PM by Engineer5 »
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »
Don't they say, "Once Black - Never Back"
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Some great replies.  Thanks guys.  I naturally don't agree with all that was said, but meh... it's helped me understand better.

While... my reasons for disliking the rifle are not at issue... and... would like to avoid any kind of argument (since I was looking for why people love the rifles as opposed to trying to start a discussion if they rock/suck or not) ... I guess I can throw my two cents out there.

As far as aesthetics, the designs for the rifle that semi-hide the gas chamber/piston are more pleasing to me... particularly those that don't have the over-the-action handle for carrying.  If this handle is handy in the bush, I dunno.  The variety of support hand guards are typically all... hideous in my book and probably not overly important in semi auto mode as they might be in full auto.  I don't doubt that some are more comfy to hold, though.  Other than just saying in general I despise the look... meh.... to each their own.

The modularity and lego analogy I can quite understand.  I still have a kitchen garbage can full of lego  :angel1:.  However, with a weapon, particularly a rifle, I'm unsure if I would be comfortable with such a vast difference in modularity to key operating components.  This is a bit of a mix of questioning my own skill and how 'tight' a modular system can be.  Granted, I don't subscribe to a high rate of fire using a rifle and prefer slower longer range / heavier hitting stuffs.

They myriad of small parts is discouraging, and while I know the dependability of the rifle has improved much over the last 50 years, there's just entirely too much that seems like goes wrong with the things.  Granted, there are ALOT of them on the market, so there will be more reports... but... blech :P.  Myriad of small parts also means a lot more cleaning for someone who insists on cleaning after every trip to the range....

I hadn't done much research on the rifles due to general distaste, and all that I had been exposed to in FL and here have been 223 chambered.  I knew there were other chamberings for the rifle, but thought they were an outright expensive mod.... not knowing that 308/338 could just as easily be had.  Soooo... this completely decouples what I had perceived as the weapon being inexplicably tied to the 223 round, making the ammo moot.  I won't argue that 223 has taken a lot of lives, much like the 9mm has.  Doesn't mean I like either round :).

Speaking of ammo -- I honestly don't see much of ammo cost as being overly relevant.  If you only head out once or twice a year, the cost shouldn't matter much... and if you shoot frequently, hand/re-loading your own makes a lot of sense both economically and for getting the best ammo for your particular gun. There's a bit of time involved in learning, a possibly moderate initial outlay, but if you shoot frequently .... why not expand your hobby ? :)  If you refuse to hand/re-load your own, then yes, 223 is relatively cheap to buy factory.

As far as other rifles, I'm not a huge fan of semi auto's, but there are plenty out there for under $700.  Most don't offer anywhere near the modularity nor accessories of the military rifles, but for me, the only accessory I might want / miss would be a flashlight if it's for home defense.  If to continue with the cost line, all of those extra accessories or 'high performance internals' stuff start to drastically raise the cost of your black rifles.... much like a decent scope can easily cost the same or more than a hunting rifle.

And just to make myself sound hypocritical, I don't think I wouldn't mind owning an m1a hehehe.

Once again, I do appreciate the informative replies.  I, now, do understand better the fascination with the rifle.  I still don't share it, but I appreciate them more.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
I did my time with black guns for Uncle Sam, they don?t hold any fascination for me.  I am also not a big believer in the ?SHTF? scenario, so I can?t really rationalize that as a reason to own one.   I know guys who do, and for them it?s great fun time and bragging rights to a point.  If that?s what they are into, good for them.

I personally am into the whole ?tack driving? thing.  I get a great deal of personal satisfaction out of putting 9 out of 10 into the ?X? at 100 yards, or vaporizing the errant prairie dog at 300 yards.   I use to do it with my grandfathers old .22lr at 75 yards and up, but am now in the market for something that has a bit more reach.  And I found it on Monday, now I just have to figure out a way to buy it without the wife removing body parts.   Cabelas has a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift for right around $1k, and if I can swing it I will be taking it off of their hands in the next few months.  Nothing says ?Hi there? like a 4,000fps rifle round.   ;D

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Engineer5

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
Speaking of accuracy............

The first pic was taken at the dead prairie dog looking back towards our trucks.  The trucks are hard to see but the are at about the 12:00 mark.
That was one shot one kill at 444 yards.  Mostly luck but still cool I thought.  The second pic is the rifle I used.

"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
That's a nice looking SPR.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »
Ronvandyn:

When you get tired of the .220 Swift--say, in about 10 years--you might wanna consider the .17Rem for your next caper.

It's a 4000+ fps round also, and it has One Very Redeeming Feature:   You Can See What You Hit.

I started P-dogging with a .22-250 Remington XB, then a Remington 788 in .22-250, and then a Remington 788 in .223.   In each of these calibers, without a spotter, the recoil usually took the scope off target.  Couldn't see the results.

With the .17Rem, You Can See What You Hit.   The shooter actually gets to see prairie dogs fly.  Red Mist.

And--of course--the round is a Screamer.   But....it's not Real Noisy.

The "experts" say that wind is a factor for the .17Rem.   Yes, indeedy.   Same way w/.223 & .22-250.   With Nebraska's wild crosswinds, many's the time I've had to lead the .223 about 15 inches upwind to curve the bullet into Mr. PD.

So the wind's always a factor.

Come to think of it, you don't have to wait until you're tired of the .220 Swift.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »
I have yet to encounter a rifle that's as easy to shoot, easy to build, and that can put a lot of shots on target like an AR-15.  They're light (sometimes), ergonomic, and can be anything you want it to be - a varmint gun, a short-barreled CQB rig, a Camp Perry trophy gun, a 1/2 MOA benchrest rifle, a deer rifle, a bear rifle, a paper puncher.  And you can do it for $600 or $3,000.

Go prairie dog hunting and you'll be shooting a lot.

Shoot a 3-gun match and you'll be shooting a lot.

Take a carbine class and you'll be shooting a lot.

Inexpensive, standard capacity mags make it easy to do those things, as does relatively inexpensive ammunition.

I'm not sure where all the talk about unreliability and lots of small parts is coming from.  I've seen the schematic and parts list for a Remington 700, and it is by no means a simple gun.  The US military and several of our allies have been using the AR-15 (M16, M4, Mk12, etc.) for decades.  The M16 is the longest serving standard issue rifle in the history of the country.  Build it from quality components and maintain it, and you won't have problems.  Buy gun show parts of unknown origin for 'a great price' and don't be surprised if the rifle craps the bed.

As for the .223 Rem (5.56 NATO), it performed well enough that the Soviets decided to make their own version (5.45x39) and so did the Chinese (5.8x42).  Yes, the .223 is a bad deer cartridge and a bad long-range target cartridge.  But for what Uncle Sam uses it for - two-legged critters - it is fine, especially with modern ammo such as Mk262. 

Let's not forget the military heritage of the bolt-action rifle.  It proved itself on the battlefield before it became a stalwart of hunting camps.
NRA Life Member.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
So Rich, why didn't you tell me all this before you turned me on to the AK?? ;D ;D
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
Ya see 20 nickels, it's all part of the plan.

Black rifle disease (BRD) is like drug addiction - you start with the small stuff, then you go big.  You don't just jump into BRD with a LaRue OBR and a Dillon 1050.  You start with an AK and some Wolf.  Give 'em a taste, and they'll come back.

They want better optics.  They want different stocks.  Longer barrels.  Different calibers.  Lighter triggers.  Chrome bolt carriers.

So the collection grows.  An M4gery.  An A4gery.  A service rifle match gun.  A varmint rig.  A suppressed SBR.

At that point, the safe is overflowing with black guns.  Then you buy a SCAR, a FAL, an FS2000, a Steyr Aug.  The wife tries to ask some friends for an intervention, but they're all down at the range with you.

And then you become an enabler.  You start helping others assemble lowers.  You buy the tools for an upper receiver build and loan those out.  You share reloading data for those sweet Hornady OTM bullets.  When the old guy at the range has a Mini-14 jam up tight, you loan him your AR so he can finish the match.   
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »
True Dat...LOL
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.