< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OK, who's spraying bullets around the Wal-Mart parking lot?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
OK, who's spraying bullets around the Wal-Mart parking lot?
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »
Teen's Father, Boyfriend Arrested After Gunshots, Chase

Posted: 5:30 AM Aug 10, 2010
Reporter: WOWT
Email Address: sixonline@wowt.com

Link to original article from the WOWT website: http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/100331264.html

Two men were arrested early Tuesday after an incident in the parking lot of the Walmart at 180th and West Center. It started with a man shooting at his daughter's boyfriend.

Police say the 16-year-old girl had been missing since Saturday. The family believed she was with her boyfriend, 19-year-old Mohamed Haya.

Around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, the father saw Haya in his daughter's car at Walmart. He says Haya swerved at him, and that's when he started shooting.

Police say Haya already has a felony on his record. He and the father will likely face charges.

Commentary:

The TV news this morning said several cars in the parking lot were hit.  This is why I don't shop at Wal-Mart unless I have to.  ::)  Turns out the boyfriend was quite the repeat-offender and the dad says he was just trying to disable the car.  As a father, I'm glad I don't have a daughter.  :angel1:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:03:37 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: OK, who's spraying bullets around the Wal-Mart parking lot?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
   I just read this. While  a car swerving at you may be imminent,immediate mortal danger,when he goes past so does the danger. I think he may be in some serious trouble. I can understand a father's feelings however, and he has my sympathy. RJ

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »
They had an interview with the father on WOWT a bit ago.  He has hired the "Magic Attorney". 
I won't be making any judgements on whether or not the dad was justified in taking the shots based on the few details released in a news story.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »
Knowing the few details out lined here I wonder if a jury would convict him. Either way, he's lucky no one else was hurt
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
By the way, has anyone talked to HuskerGun lately?
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
   While  a car swerving at you may be imminent,immediate mortal danger,when he goes past so does the danger. 

I don't agree that the danger is past once the car is past you.  You don't know that he's not going to come around for another pass, or stop and reverse towards you. 

Once again, context is everything and we don't have it.  :-)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
This is a good place to bring up this topic... We have been concerned about the use of copyrighted news articles from the web being used in their entirety here on the forums.

I have been guilty as anyone, but we need to change this practice.

Please post the link to the article, a few lines of pertinent text and send readers to the link for more reading.

I know it is a pain in the butt, but a major local player has hired a group that is notorious for filing lawsuits over copyright infringement, and I don't want our group to fall into their trap.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
   While  a car swerving at you may be imminent,immediate mortal danger,when he goes past so does the danger. 

I don't agree that the danger is past once the car is past you.  You don't know that he's not going to come around for another pass, or stop and reverse towards you. 

Once again, context is everything and we don't have it.  :-)
Point taken. I based my thoughts on the meager info given. Repeated efforts to attack with a motor vehicle is something else.  I still sympathize with the father of a 16 year old girl who's dating a 19 year old felon.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:29 PM »
This is a good place to bring up this topic... We have been concerned about the use of copyrighted news articles from the web being used in their entirety here on the forums.

I have been guilty as anyone, but we need to change this practice.

Please post the link to the article, a few lines of pertinent text and send readers to the link for more reading.

I know it is a pain in the butt, but a major local player has hired a group that is notorious for filing lawsuits over copyright infringement, and I don't want our group to fall into their trap.

If I'm not mistaken, the concern in the lawsuit is over un-cited work.  The work above is properly cited.  My undergrad is journalism.  I know to mind my P's and Q's.  One new source cites another thousands of times per day.  When I take news from another agency and present it as my own (or simply don't properly cite it) that's where the lawsuit comes in.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:47:36 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 10:18:10 PM »
You are mistaken on this one, there is a @#$! storm going based on the DMCA and newspaper articles being linked to (yes just a link to the newspapers website) and most of the close to 100 websites hit can not afford to fight.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »
You are mistaken on this one, there is a @#$! storm going based on the DMCA and newspaper articles being linked to (yes just a link to the newspapers website) and most of the close to 100 websites hit can not afford to fight.

These recommendations are specific to Righthaven ... and good practice in general.

If you run a single publisher BLOG website as opposed to a user submitted content site like a forum, the best thing you can do to ensure "fair use" on your postings is:

1. limit the amount of the article copy / pasted BY YOU on your website to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and NO MORE THAN 50% of the source material
2. Include your own original commentary / criticism WITH THE POST of the original article on your site. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR BLOGS ESPECIALLY
3. Provide a link back to the source article

Further, if you own a forum or anything that has user submitted content that might be copyright someone else you need to be very careful about not asserting ownership rights over that content..

You can't go around claiming you hold a copyright on someone else's copyrighted work that was posted on your site for education / criticism... and you should not be issuing DMCA notices based on theft of copyright...

So make sure your copyright statements reflect the fact that you assert no copyright ownership rights over user submitted content, only your web design, scripts, etc....

My guess is this will all blow over in a few months but until then we'll have to tread carefully.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:05:52 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
I just got back from a trip to the Irvington Walmart. The fellow in front of me strikes up a conversation by mentioning it was the first time in a while being at a Walmart where there weren't bullets flying around. He said the father (Jerry?) had a CCW permit and that all charges had been dropped against him. He said the car had made repeated passes (is Bill psychic?) and there was immediate danger. While this is obviously hearsay, it is heartening. This fellow,"Bob" said he was employed in searching for the daughter and was there as part of that   RJ

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
Hopefully we can get some confirmation of that, but good intel there RJ!

I bet the man will never see his handgun again though
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »

I bet the man will never see his handgun again though

He sure won't, unless he fights OPD like hell to get it back. That is another "gun off the streets" for OPD. They like to run their count up by taking away guns from law abiding citizens