< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New AR 15 owner needing assistance  (Read 2488 times)

Offline huskerfan2112

• Forum Member
New AR 15 owner needing assistance
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
Spent an afternoon at a family reunion firing one of these and had a great time.  Decided to buy one.  I now realize Im in a bit over my head.  Anyone know of anywhere around Lincoln where I might get some basic instruction?  Group or individual setting is fine.  Thank you.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: New AR 15 owner needing assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
Just what do you need to know?

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline huskerfan2112

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
I'd just like some general instruction so I am able to use it safely.  Maintenance, clearing a jam, etc.  As I said in my OP, Im still a bit of a novice.  Thanks

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »
Go here: http://www.ar15.com/ and do some reading. Lots and lots of material is there all about them for your pleasure among the forums.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
Field stripping is easy, if a 11 year old girl can do it... anyone can. 

;)

And, welcome to the NFOA Forum... have you registered as a NFOA member yet?
http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/index.php?option=com_chronocontact&Itemid=18
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Engineer5

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »
AR15.com has a wealth of information.  Here's a link to a good post to get you started.......http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=456002
Have fun!
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:00:04 AM »
Field stripping is easy, if a 11 year old girl can do it... anyone can. 

;)

And, welcome to the NFOA Forum... have you registered as a NFOA member yet?
http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/index.php?option=com_chronocontact&Itemid=18

Now THAT is raising a child correctly.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago.  I spent some time on the range at Lincoln Ikes becoming familiar w/ the AR; took a three day rifle class at the US Shooting Academy in Tulsa and did a lot of reading.  I have not found any rifle classes around Lincoln.  Take a look at Signal 88's website http://signal88.com for some ideas around Omaha.  I am thinking about taking their Urban Defender Rifle course when they get one scheduled.  Best of luck on your journey!!
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
I will be spending a lot of time out at the Lincoln IKE's range this fall, and I would be glad to spend some time explaining what I know about AR's. Maybe we can make it a group thing

I am not a trained instructor, but I have built 3, and know the mechanics of them very well.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:21:29 AM »
I will be spending a lot of time out at the Lincoln IKE's range this fall, and I would be glad to spend some time explaining what I know about AR's. Maybe we can make it a group thing

I am not a trained instructor, but I have built 3, and know the mechanics of them very well.

See, if I knew I'd have free time, I'd join the group just in relation to the 'why do ppl love the black rifle' thread.... but alas.... I know I can't keep a schedule worth a damn right now :(
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 06:46:28 AM »
My wife would be disappointed if I did not reach out to a Huskerfan. If you're interested, and still want a little instruction on the AR, shoot me an email at Bluplnt3@aol.com. I can be a somewhat flexible with my schedule and could meet you out at Ikes. We can go through a few field strips and reassembly, sight in, and clearing procedures. I'm sure by now you have probably found an abundance of knowledgeable people ready to help, but if not, drop me a line.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Anyone know of anywhere around Lincoln where I might get some basic instruction?  Group or individual setting is fine.  Thank you.

Come to an Appleseed!  Not only will you learn firearm safety and rifle marksmanship, you'll learn about and hear stories you've never heard before that will make you proud of your American Heritage.  There's one in Grand Island next weekend (click here for details).  Come on out to join us!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
Wow, I shoulda thunk a that...guess I didn't think of Appleseed as an introductory level program until now.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »
American Heritage and basic rifle marksmanship is what we do!  ;D
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:22 PM »
I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago.  I spent some time on the range at Lincoln Ikes becoming familiar w/ the AR; took a three day rifle class at the US Shooting Academy in Tulsa and did a lot of reading.  I have not found any rifle classes around Lincoln.  Take a look at Signal 88's website http://signal88.com for some ideas around Omaha.  I am thinking about taking their Urban Defender Rifle course when they get one scheduled.  Best of luck on your journey!!

I've taken the Signal 88 class.   It's quite good.  As long as you have a basic understanding of the controls and are a halfway decent shot, you'll have fun in the class and learn how to use the AR at short ranges.  Well worth the cost.
NRA Life Member.

Offline huskerfan2112

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »
Thanks to all for your assistance and for pointing me in the right direction.  When time permits, I may reach out to those who have offered to meet at a range for some additional help.  What a great group.  Glad I found this site!!