< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1377 times)

Offline WheresMyJedi

• Forum Member
Hello everyone
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
I am new here so sorry if this is in the wrong section, Anyways let me tell you my story.I have been feeling the need to own a fire arm for a couple years now. Problem is i have both a "Criminal History" So they want to call it, i call it being a teenage boy, nothing serious, also I am diagnosed with a mental illness. Now these are two things that will stop me dead in my tracks, maybe literally from getting and owning a weapon for home defense, I am assuming its easier to get a gun that you cant conceal, would someone like me be able to own a shotgun or is there any advice you have for me on getting a gun, i wish to own it legally but if not possible id rather risk breaking the law then my life or someone i love. People think your paraniod if you own a gun or want to,They always ask the stupid question "What do you need a gun for?" but this just isnt true, paranoid is being afraid of something that isnt happening, but im sure we all see the world isnt heading in the right direction and violence is a daily occurance. I am 21 and i live in ralston id like any info on how to get any weapon good for home defense as i am not planning on carrying. Thank you ill check back frequently.

Offline 475okh

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
Not really a good chance at getting a firearm with your history.  I would recommend a baseball bat and everyone here would feel much better.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »
I don't know how specific you want to get on a forum regarding your criminal history or mental illness, but it depends on the situation.

For example a person who has been diagnosed "bi-polar" and checked themselves into a mental facility for treatment, is not automatically disqualified... However someone who has been forcefully committed to a mental institution is.

If your convictions were felonies, or domestic violence, then you would likely be disqualified from possessing a firearm.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
Not really a good chance at getting a firearm with your history.  I would recommend a baseball bat and everyone here would feel much better.
I don't think you speak for everyone here. This man's qualifications are unknown.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline WheresMyJedi

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »
Hey Chris thanks for the reply, I have never been convicted of a felony or been committed to a mental facility. Actually now that i think of it ive never been convicted of anything, Ive been charged with criminal mischief, graffiti but our diversion program helped me wipe that from my record and assault fighting, me and a buddy got into it and he called the cops after i left, we sobered up and he showed mercy, got over it and became freinds again then dropped the charge, now these things are all 4-6 years old but i have never been convicted of anything is that the main thing or can a charge also impede this process. I am also looking for a good gun safety class and self defense class if you have any reccomendations, and hey do gun saftey classes have some sort of certificate you could present to help one's chances? Its worrying me because it seems even the MOST upstanding are getting denied. I think im making it obvious how little i know so im gonna have to spend some time here learning. Thanks again.

Offline WheresMyJedi

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:50 PM »

I could careless how you feel, Im getting a gun either way im just looking for information. But thanks for offending me. =)

Offline WheresMyJedi

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
I don't think you speak for everyone here. This man's qualifications are unknown.

I love people that think like this, if i was a bad person would i really be trying to go through the proper channels when i could go outside and find someone to sell me a unregistered hand gun. Its not that hard if your willing to deal with criminals no matter our govn trys to do they will always be around. Also my question about ammo capacity, would anyone know if something like a shotgun would be easier to obtain LEGALLY then a handgun. After all 'People with my history" like to hunt as well, so what about hunting rifles i mean the effect is the same just that people even myself think a person is nuts for owning a handgun and or a automatic rifle. Sorry boys if you dont feel safe with a wild maniac like myself bearing arms, but its time to worry about myself. Ive seen and heard things that will not allow myself to stay unprepared in the case of an event. And Let me reiterate about this is for HOME defense its not like you can carry a shotgun or hunting rifle out in public. So would these type of arms be easier to obtain legally.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
Everyone has a past...doesn't sound like yours is an impediment to legal firearms ownership of a least a rifle or shotgun.

You may or may not have an issue with obtaining a purchase permit for a handgun, but I would advise you to try. For $5 you will find out rather quickly if you are going to be denied.

technically no permit is required for a long gun, but a federal NICS check must be passed. From what you have revealed here I see no reason you would not pass the NICS check.

ONE THING I DO NEED FROM YOU. Talk of illegal acts on this forum are unacceptable. Please refrain from posting in that manner. NFOA does not condone anyone breaking the law.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline WheresMyJedi

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »
Everyone has a past...doesn't sound like yours is an impediment to legal firearms ownership of a least a rifle or shotgun.

You may or may not have an issue with obtaining a purchase permit for a handgun, but I would advise you to try. For $5 you will find out rather quickly if you are going to be denied.

technically no permit is required for a long gun, but a federal NICS check must be passed. From what you have revealed here I see no reason you would not pass the NICS check.

ONE THING I DO NEED FROM YOU. Talk of illegal acts on this forum are unacceptable. Please refrain from posting in that manner. NFOA does not condone anyone breaking the law.

Thanks for the info and your time, and yes sir on the illegal talk.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
I teach an Intro to Self Defense Class at The Bullet Hole in LaVista. The class is for novice and experienced shooters. You will learn that there is a big difference between target shooting and gunfighting. Shooting is only one of many skills that you should make a commitment to learn and train.

From your post it sound like your focus is on personal defense. Dont waste your time learning something you will only have to change later. You want to win a bullseye match ? Go train somewere else. Want to learn how to fight ? Talk to me. (There are several other local and out of state instructors that I have trained with and would recommend without hesitation if you need info on other classes)

Class details here http://www.thebh.com/this_course_outline.php?class=14

You should see one scheduled near the end of Sept soon. If you have any questions at all, feel free to post or PM me.

- Shawn W.
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com