< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Adjusting sights? How? Where?  (Read 850 times)

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Adjusting sights? How? Where?
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
   As I practice more with my Bersa .380, I've noticed a bit of tightening of my groups. WooHoo! I'm not even approaching excellence but I'm getting more consistant. My problem is my group is off center! The center of my group is about 2 inches to the right of dead center at 50'. I caught myself "allowing" for this and aiming a bit to the left and getting better results. I know that's not the answer. Perhaps my rear sight needs adjustment? What size screwdriver do I need?  Is this something I can do myself? If yes,how? If it's needing a bench with a vice and more tech stuff, who can I go to?  Thanks, RJ

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Adjusting sights? How? Where?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:46:27 PM »
Have you tried a 'pistol correction chart' (see attched below)

I went thru the same with my 24/7 (only low and left)  Changed sights, adjused sights till they wre so cranked over it was an uncomfortable hold.  Then I changed the way I was holding and following thru on trigger pull and started punching the center out of plates. Almost unheard of with that gun.

Anyway, found these on another forum. They have come in useful for many a shooter.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
Thanks for replying Ne Bull. I concede it may still be me,but what if it isn't?  My groups have gotten smaller and more circular,just a bit to the right of center. I'm a little frustrated as I've worked at correcting incorrect  trigger finger application(although Double Action can still bring it out). I just wanted to eliminate the excuse if nothing else. Anyone have any idea where or how I can confirm my gun is true at 50"?  Thanks RJ
BTW- thanks for the charts, I've seen similar (that's where I learned it was my trigger finger screwing up my aim) Those are helpful.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
Omaharj:

You might consider borrowing a method from the bench rest rifle shooters, w/slight variation.

That is, use a pistol bench rest.   Lohman (and others) makes a Pistol Sight Gun Vise which solidly clamps the pistol barrel (revolver) or frame (semi-autos).   Gives the handgun a solid, consistent sight alignment/picture while sighting in and shooting.   The shooter sits while squeezing them off, similar to a rifle shooter.

Using this device takes most of the wiggle out of aiming and minimizes the effect of poor trigger control.   Helps to determine if it's the shooter or the pistol sights that need adjustment.

This device would be useful for every firing range and gun club, just like the shot bags and benchrests used by rifle shooters.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »
RJ,
Some sights are drift adjustable meaning they reside in a dovetail and you use a hammer and brass punch to move them.  Sometimes a set screw must be loosened first.  This can also be done with a sight pusher which many armorers and gunsmiths have. 

Other sights are adjustable just using a simple screwdriver. 

Other sights are not adjustable at all.

Consult your owners manual for more information.
NRA Life Member.