< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47  (Read 722 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:27 AM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47
Says Many Gang Members Were Coming After His Family
September 7, 2010 11:00 PM

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) ? He was arrested for protecting his property and family.
But it?s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.
He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2?s Pablo Guzman.
George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious ?MS-13.? He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

~~See more at the link~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
While I feel sorry for this guy - several things about this story bother me:

1)  Grier (the homeowner with the AK-47) admitted he never saw a gun (or any other weapon). 

2)  The first time the guys that were "a threat" ever said anything or made any threatening remarks, according to the article, is after Grier has run into the house and grabbed the AK-47 and then gone back outside to face the guys.

3) Finally, he fires 4 warning shots into the grass and the "20+" "MS-13" guys that were there either take off or give up.

I hope there's more to this story but I believe this guy had little or no training in gun defense and, if he really believed they were MS-13, little or no common sense.  Why didn't he just lock the house down and call the police while waiting patiently inside with his AK-47 at the ready?  What did he think they would say when he walked outside with his AK bearing down on them - especially since there had been no threat posed up to this point?  Lastly - if there really were "20+" MS-13 gang members there he was outnumbered and probably easily outgunned if they had decided to do anything.  He's lucky to be alive - unless of course he's Charles Bronson. 

I hope we get more info on this down the road.  I just did an internet search and can't find anything except the original article.
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline Buster9mil

• Forum Member
Re: Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »
There's just no substitute for education. Maybe "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob should be required reading for anyone buying a gun for self-protection. (Much as I hate the word 'required')
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein