< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: For Dog lovers  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
For Dog lovers
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:39:49 PM »
I don't know how many if you are dog lovers like me.

My wife and I have kept a pair of Goldens all the time we have been married. 30 years.

Today is a very sad day for us, as our oldest boy, Sandhills Goldust Selka, was sent over the rainbow bridge. Selka died from complications of Osteosarcoma or Bone Cancer. We vowed that we would keep him happy as long as we could, but we would not let him suffer. Our Vet, Dr Hank Cerny, was very kind to come to the house today and free Selka from his pain   :(   

Selka has been the light of our lives for 11+ years and was a very special dog. He worked as a therapy dog in Hospice, and was obedience and service trained.

He has been my disabled wife's companion and therapy dog.

Our lives will never be the same, for having shared them with Selka.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HenryPatrick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: For Dog lovers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I know it's painful to lose a pet. Remember all of the fun times you had, usually helps some.
"If this be treason, make the most of it"

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »
Dan I also am a dog lover. Currently have two Golden Retrievers ages 10 and 11.
My wife and I have three Golden's at Rainbow Bridge awaiting their masters.

To you and your wife my sincere condolences.

Randy
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
Randy, I know you used to be a GRRIN volunteer, as my wife has been too.

We will survive, but it hurts like hell right now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:11:14 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of a great true friend.

Making the call to end the sufferring is one of the hardest things to do, but Selka was glad you had the compassion to do the right thing. You will always have the good memories and they will make you smile when you do.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  My Lab is my best buddy, I can only imagine what losing him would be like.

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
Sorry to hear this.  We've got a 7-year-old Beagle that doesn't even realize she's a dog.  She's my wife's baby.  My heart goes out to both of you on this loss.
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »
I feel for ya, bud.

(+1 on the vet, I was no longer living at home when our family dog of 14+ years passed, but mom says that tuff ol farm boy dad drove her to the vet 20 miles away and back to the home for burial and it was quite possibly the hardest trip he ever made. )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »
My heart is with ya man. I had to put my best friend down a few years ago and still miss the h*** out of him.  I know it doesn't make it any easier but you did right by not letting him suffer.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
Saturday I am driving to Alhambra Illinois. ( near St Louis MO )

A pup from a very high level breeding has been offered to us, and we could not turn down this chance for another Golden. We have never had a dog with an upper crust pedigree, including a slew of master hunters, utility champions, and obedience trial champions, like this one has, so we are pretty excited. Maybe I will hunt with my own dog once again.

Not looking forward to 17 hours on the road, or to transporting firearms into Illinois, but you only live once.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
  I'd like to offer my condolences also.  We often share companionship and loyalty with our pets beyond anything we are comfortable with "real" people.  Then we are amazed at our grief! May your  many happy memories give  comfort.   RJ

Offline RWNJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »
Dan, my prayers are with you.  I have a 12-year old Yellow Lab (my yellow shadow) who was diagnosed with jaw cancer almost two years ago (it seems to be in remission).  We have been trying to make her as happy as possible.  I know what you were going through.  May you both join Selka in your afterlife.
Cynical, opinionated, and far to the right of conservative.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »
Make sure you post pics of your new buddy when you get him!  New puppy pics are right up there with new gun pics.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »
Dan,

So sorry to hear about your loss.  We just had to put down our Vizsla, after 11 great years of hunting.  I know how tough it is.  

Dr Hank Cerny is great Vet. You must be near Crete.  I worked with him at Belmont Vet clinic here in Lincoln.  He was fresh out of school.  Great guy.  I should look him up sometime.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:07:07 AM by Dan W »

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:03 AM »
Make sure you post pics of your new buddy when you get him!  New puppy pics are right up there with new gun pics.

YES +1
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »
Oops, I started to reply , then I realized I was in your post Chad...

Hank Cerny's vet hospital is down by 27th and Yankee Hill Rd.

Hank is very nice, seems to be up on all the latest treatments. That is why we ended up there. We were thinking of hauling Selka to KState for bisphosphonate infusions, until we found out Cerny was the only area vet already doing this advance treatment.

His partner Dr. Brown, and the staff are very kind, they all sent us a signed sympathy card.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
Here is my new pup playing with his balls  ;D

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
DanW.............

Looks Like Next Week He'll be Wanting a Little Birdie of Some Type.

And Not the Rubber Type.

One with Feathers.

Real Feathers.

sfg
[PS - What did you name the little bugger?????]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:22:05 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
He is so cute.  I'm happy for you Dan.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
No disrespect Dan, but are you gonna be able to keep with a lil ball of energy like that?