< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Primers  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Primers
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
So, I am finally getting together all the things needed to begin reloading my own cases.  I also have the Reloaders Bible, but there is one thing that the book is not real clear about.  Primer sizes. 

It?s pretty clear about don?t use magnum primers for regular calibers without some serious thought, but it does not seem to address which primer is normal for which caliber.  What I mean is, does 40S&W use Large Pistol Primers or small?  How about .45ACP?  Is it case dependant, or caliber dependant? 

Since I am eventually going to be reloading 40S&W, 45ACP, and 380ACP(with some .38spcl and 357mag mixed in) I figure I?ll have to have a pretty wide selection, but which to use on which is the question.  Any insight from you old hands would be appreciated.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Primers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
45 ACP is large primer.  40 S&W, 380, and 38spl are small primer.  357 mag can use small or small magnum primers.  I don't have the Reloaders Bible but if you purchase a good load book most load recipes have what primer is used.  Also make sure you buy pistol primers for pistol and rifle primers for rifle.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
There is some .45 Win NT (I think) brass that uses the small primer, just a heads up.

You should be able to identify the primers easily (large or small) just by looking at the base of the brass. If you can't tell , a caliper measurement certainly will.

Magnum or standard primer brisance( how hot the primer ignites) is recipe dependent, usually based on the powder type.

Tony is correct that the load data will tell you what you need.

There is another type of mil spec primer that is used for M16's M4's & AR15's that have a harder cup to prevent slam fires. Some use em, some don't
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:22:42 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »
Thanks guys.

Now for another question.  I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find a good price on bulk bullets.  Nothing fancy, just good range bullets for my 40 S&W.  And while I have been able to find .40 bullets in vast quantites, very few are just the old standard RNFMJ or FNFMJ projectiles.  Any suggestions on where to go for these?

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
Thanks guys.

Now for another question.  I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find a good price on bulk bullets.  Nothing fancy, just good range bullets for my 40 S&W.  And while I have been able to find .40 bullets in vast quantites, very few are just the old standard RNFMJ or FNFMJ projectiles.  Any suggestions on where to go for these?

Ron

They're not jacketed, but they are reasonably priced at about $30/500.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=11

They adjust the hardness of the bullet to the application so you can use plain lead bullets even at magnum velocities.

A-FIXER

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
Here's some prices at the nachez current flyer http://www.natchezss.com/catalog.cfm.

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:06:07 AM »
Missouri bullets is great for lead.  I use RMR Bullets for plated and jacketed.  Both have great customer service and ship extremely fast.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
Here's a Missouri Bullet post to one of their FAQs:

--------------------------------------------
Question:
What if I thought I was ordering cartridges instead of bullets and was surprised to find that the bullets I ordered are bullets and not ammunition?

MBCo Response;
It is possible that you are an idiot who

1.) Doesn't pay very close attention to detail when he orders things and/or

2.) Thinks that the descriptions and photographs of our bullets are actually very cleverly disguised descriptions and photographs of cartridges.  If one or both of these is true, it is likely that you shouldn't be handling explosive materiel.

Bottom line is - if you ordered bullets from us and then received the bullets you ordered from us, we're squared up and can't help you with your cartridge problem.
----------------------------------------------

Some may think it is just Plain Straight Talk.

Others will know that the above comment by the company displays a degree of contempt for their customers.

sfg
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:51:50 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
I saw that, but it just made me chuckle.   I met the owners when I picked up my order and they seem like nice enough people.  They aren't upscale, sophisticated business people though, so they probably don't have a marketing team to make sure they don't offend anyone. 

They don't seem to be hurting for business, so I guess things are working for them.  They were loading up 3 pallets of product when I was there and the packaging was going full bore.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
use plain lead bullets even at magnum velocities.

Don't Do That.

If you don't believe me, or most any reloading manual you care to open, ask Randy A.  about .40 S&W and leading issues.

.40S&W operates at (or was designed to operate at) pretty high pressure/velocity ...... jacketed bullets would be required to avoid leading problems above about 1200 f/sec. Pure lead (as opposed to lead alloys containing tin and or antimony) should be kept down around 800-1000 f/sec to avoid leading issues.  With really hard alloys, leading is LESSENED, and gas checks can lessen it further, but if you want to shoot the .40 Short, at the velocities it was intended to be shot, use jacketed bullets.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »
MBC tells you how to determine if their bullets will work with your loads.  Obviously you don't want to use lead at 4000 fps.

http://missouribullet.com/technical.php

Lead bullets won't work for all loads, but they give you the information you need to decide if they will.  At the price difference of about 2 1/2 times the price for jacketed, it'd be worth your time to check it out.

I will say I was pretty impressed by the owner when I talked to him. I told him the charge I was using he knew the MV and pressure off the top of his head.  I knew the correct MV, but not the pressure.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 02:17:27 AM »
For most plinking and practice - lead.

For occaissional tests with a jacketed round to "proper" pressure, the 250 pack at kabela's should do nicely... ya shouldn't be making too many.

For self defense - buy some factory loads for legal reasons.

----

With lead in .40, I believe I'm running approximately 70% of the initial starting load listed in speers / hornady books.  Something there abouts.  Within 1.5 grains of the same powder, I found virtually no leading, moderate leading, heavy leading, light leading... in that order while increasing the charge and keeping all other components the same.  I'm unsure what MV I'm generating, but it seems to safely get the bullet down range and cycle the gun... and isn't too indifferent from full charges recoil wise (although less snappy).
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
Plinking and range work.  I already bought a box of the CMPHP's and am currently loading them.  Just looking for a less expensive solution.  Also, the box I bought are 180gr and I am looking for a lighter round.  160, 155, somewhere in that area. 

Ron
KC0MXX