< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thanksgiving '08  (Read 1733 times)

Offline allcd88

• NFOA Full Member
Thanksgiving '08
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:39:48 PM »
I took my nieces and nephews along with two of my children to the range while they were here for Thanksgiving. I had them pose for this picture for me. (All unloaded) They got to shoot whatever handgun they wanted, one at a time under my supervision, of course. Good memories and a great picture. Grandma really got a kick out of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:48:50 PM by allcd88 »
Jos 24:15  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve;.............. but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Thanksgiving '08
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:13:12 AM »
That is a keeper, you had your hands full. Nice to see some youth being introduced to the discipline of firearms shooting. As long as they know and practice the 4 rules of safe firearms handling.

Rules of Safe Gun Handling

RULE 1. All guns are always loaded.

There are no exceptions. Don't pretend this is true; be deadly serious about it.
Follow this simple rule and you'll never utter those unforgivable words, "But I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE 2. Never let the barrel cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

This is the most frequently violated rule, especially with handguns. Historical reactors frequently violate this rule by folding the hands over the muzzle of a muzzleloader and then resting the chin on top of the hands, with the brain directly over the muzzle. Frequently the violator will provide the lame excuse, "It's not loaded." Bull! See RULE 1.

RULE 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

There is no delay in the speed of target acquisition by following this rule. Furthermore, there is no need to discharge a firearm before target acquisition, so there is absolutely no excuse for violating this rule.

RULE 4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

Know what your target is. Know what is in line with your target and what is behind it.
Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified.

Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Good Stuff!  Err'body with "eyes and ears"....... good job!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »
There was a bunch of lead flying around Turkey Day. We went to my folks and it was kind of slow day, I had mentioned to my sister that her new son-in-law should bring some guns to town and maybe we could  slip away for a little range time. We shot my XD's, a Kimber.45, a Remington AR and a .325 WSM Browning. Sure beat watching football! He did not know waht to think when I had my hand in my pants at the range (getting my XD40SC out of my smartcarry holster) I' think I will never forget his expression....

Offline allcd88

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »
That is a keeper, you had your hands full. Nice to see some youth being introduced to the discipline of firearms shooting. As long as they know and practice the 4 rules of safe firearms handling.

Rules of Safe Gun Handling

RULE 1. All guns are always loaded.

There are no exceptions. Don't pretend this is true; be deadly serious about it.
Follow this simple rule and you'll never utter those unforgivable words, "But I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE 2. Never let the barrel cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

This is the most frequently violated rule, especially with handguns. Historical reactors frequently violate this rule by folding the hands over the muzzle of a muzzle loader and then resting the chin on top of the hands, with the brain directly over the muzzle. Frequently the violator will provide the lame excuse, "It's not loaded." Bull! See RULE 1.

RULE 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

There is no delay in the speed of target acquisition by following this rule. Furthermore, there is no need to discharge a firearm before target acquisition, so there is absolutely no excuse for violating this rule.

RULE 4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

Know what your target is. Know what is in line with your target and what is behind it.
Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified.

Yes, they are all aware of the "rules" for firearms. I am a little obsessive about them knowing and obeying them.
The 5th and 6th rules my father learned the hard way. He was over on the rifle range to sight in a new scope on his muzzle loader while I was on the pistol range with the kids.

The 5th rule: When shooting something with a scope that kicks hard and there is no chair for the bench don't lean into the weapon too much and get close to the scope with your forehead.

The 6th rule: Always when shooting any type of long gun have it firmly seated into your shoulder to minimize recoil. especially if using a scope. :)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:24:03 PM by allcd88 »
Jos 24:15  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve;.............. but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »
way late to this party and I don't have pics...

we save-up leftover pumpkins and assorted gourds and line them up at the edge of the field on my parents "farm"... which just happens to be 100yds from the Sandbox...

then we go nuts...

I think I shot 50-rnds of 25-06, 30-06, and 35 Whelen (-06) that day, we probably cleared through 300-400 rnds of rimfire, and another 200-300rnds of 9mm.

oh... and the pumpkins lost...