< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Attorney Information  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Attorney Information
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »
If there is anyone here who may know of a good attorney in the Lincoln/Omaha area who is well versed in firearms law I would appreciate it if they could PM me with contact information.
Thanks

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Attorney Information
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
In what regard? Beyond what is written in law and what they can recite? 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
Irrelevant post removed...carry on
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
After I read this post the first time I went online looking for an answer to your question.  Unfortunately I was unable to find a single attorney here in Nebraska or Iowa that mentions this type of practice at all.  Closest I could find was a few Criminal Defense attorney's that may or may not have experience with firearms law from a concealed permit perspective.  I kind of doubt they do honestly, we are still a rare breed even here in Neb. 

I know a few lawyers personally and I have some feelers out looking for an answer.  I am kind of interested in this subject myself, since the boy scout motto is ...

Ron

NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
So far the only attorney in Nebraska (that I know of) with a real world working experience with the CHP laws is James Martin Davis in Omaha.

I think you are aware he has been acting only as a criminal defense attorney in this regard, defending CHP holders charged with alleged violations of the law. I am unsure of his experience outside that area.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
In Nebraska firearms cases are very rare (criminal use there is but otherwise almost nonexistant) so there is not an attorney that has put much time into firearms law issues.  The closest would be criminal defense attorneys with JMD most likely being at or near the top of the list for experiance with this issue.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
JMD`s parading of his clients on TV and radio isnt something I would want to happen if it was me. I have several acquaintances with legal backgrounds and in their opinion its also unethical.

Ive been told a good place to start is to see who any local Police Unions/Depts use as representation for officers involved in shootings.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
As the attorney representing me in a divorce 32 years ago said "it's a dog and pony show no matter how you cut it".
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Whenever you might need an attorney, one very workable approach is to:

1)   Consider the kind of court case (divorce, bankruptcy, CHP defense, traffic, shoplifting, DUI, whatever).

2)   Research to find the types of court(s) where those kind of cases are tried.

3)   Call or go visit the court offices.

4)   Speak to the judge's bailiff(s).

5)   Ask the bailiff, "If YOU were brought up before this court as a defendant in such-and-such as kind of
      case, whom would YOU want to retain as YOUR attorney."

I've tried this approach a couple of times while at a total loss for a good attorney.   It has worked out quite well, those times.

The bailiffs know the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Lawyers from each other.    And........when I've asked them, they've told me.   [Not the names of the Bad Lawyers, no.   They've suggested the names of Good Lawyers that they might themselves use.]

Offered for your consideration when the need arises.

sfg[And don't go sayin' that there aren't any Good Lawyers...................]
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
I would HIGHLY encourage ALL of you to visit the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network website and become a member.  www.armedcitizensnetwork.org  The benefits are priceless.

Also, I would HIGHLY encourage ALL of you to attend a Massad Ayoob course on the the Legal/Justifiable use of deadly force.  When you are done, you will likely have more background and education than your run of the mill lawyer.  Ask one. 

One final comment.... speaking with Mas Ayoob and Marty Hayes (two of the most highly respected expert witnesses for the defense i.e. righteous shooter), both commented that JMD was brilliant in how he handled McCollough's case.  He is a Armed Citizen's Network attorney. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
JMD is no dummy.  Regardless of how you feel about his tactics he gets the job done.  If I ever end up on the wrong end of a gun-related lawsuit he'll be my first call.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
Cops can't stand JMD, because he is a good attorney.

I don't agree with the "media whoring", but nobody can argue that there is a better Attorney when it comes to justifiable homicide cases in Nebraska. I have researched every self defense shooting in Nebraska I could find, and in the cases where the person was wrongly charged with homicide... Guess who the Attorney was that was successful in defending the accused?   JMD

Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network is the way to go.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:20:51 PM »
Also, I would HIGHLY encourage ALL of you to attend a Massad Ayoob course on the the Legal/Justifiable use of deadly force.  When you are done, you will likely have more background and education than your run of the mill lawyer.  Ask one. 

I?m going to be honest, I value what Mr. Ayoob has to say, but at $400.00 a pop I just can?t afford it.  Not many people can.  I know, it may save me $$$ if I ever have to discharge my weapon, but that is poor justification for spending an entire 2 weeks of grocery money for my family. 

I have a pretty good background in the ?Use of Force? area from my days as a military policeman, and while I?m pretty sure that I could learn a few things from listening to Mr. Ayoob I just can?t bring myself to attempt to justify that kind of expenditure.

Ron
KC0MXX

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
Chris,
I'm no criminal defense attorney, and I don't find the "media whoring" appealing either.  However, there is more to the law than the law.  County attorneys are elected and have to face the public. Jurors, as impartial as they can be, are exposed to pretrial publicity by both the prosecution and the defense.  Getting the client out early and driving the narrative changes the calculus for a county attorney who is contemplating bringing a person to trial.

The analogy of legislating and sausage making comes to mind only for the criminal justice system.  Just remember, it's the worst system in the world, right after all the others (pardon the paraphrase).

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
Ronvandyn,
I would HIGHLY recommend an alternative....take Chris Zeeb's course.  It is 4 hours and $85 (as I recall).  Several members of this forum have taken it.  VERY good, condensed course to have in your knowledge base.  Chris is also a graduate of Ayoob's course so will likely incorporate some that information.

www.neccwtraining.com

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 07:53:01 AM »
Ronvandyn,
I would HIGHLY recommend an alternative....take Chris Zeeb's course.  It is 4 hours and $85 (as I recall).  Several members of this forum have taken it.  VERY good, condensed course to have in your knowledge base.  Chris is also a graduate of Ayoob's course so will likely incorporate some that information.

www.neccwtraining.com

Thanks for the kinds words Bullit........ I hope to have another one of these classes this fall/winter. Tried to schedule a couple earlier this year, but not enough people to make the class go. Ayoob material will be incorporated, as well as a review of other shootings that have happened this year

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
Chris,
I and two of my friends who have recently applied for our CCW would be very interested in taking the course this fall/winter. Please let us know when you firm up your plans.
Thanks

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
I may also be interested in a course.  Chris was the instructor for my original CHP class so I feel comfortable with his style.  But this time, I'm not going to drive all around Lincoln looking for the classroom!

Ron

:)
KC0MXX

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »
Maybe if we can get enough people interested I will come up to the Omaha (Sarpy County) area and offer this class.

We don't need a range for this class!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
I will offer the Legal Aspects of Lethal Force class on Friday Dec 3rd in Lincoln

http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=2705.0