< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Positive LEO encounter  (Read 1784 times)

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
Positive LEO encounter
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:00:12 AM »
I was stopped by a Lancaster County Deputy Sheriff yesterday afternoon for speeding. I was CCW so I did everything the way I was taught in class. When I informed him I was carrying concealed all he said was I need to see your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. He didn't even bat and eye about me carrying and all I got was a warning for speeding. Thank you LEO for a positive encounter.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Positive LEO encounter
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:28:29 AM »
That is good to hear, I have often wondered how an encounter would go if stopped. Maybe the police are getting used to the law, and the fact that those who carry don't pose a threat to Law enforcement.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
I too was stopped in Gretna awhile back and the LEO was great!

It was at night so I turned all the interior lights on and it went well...only got a verbal warning!

Be polite and courteous and it goes far...but it is much better to slow down  ;D

The LEO's really appreciate that!

Offline kruegster

• NFOA Full Member
    • Owner: Kitchen Tune-Up of Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
I got stopped on 91 between 15 and 79 a while back in a company vehicle so I was not carrying but handed him my ccw card with my licence. I told him I was naked and he was very cool about it. (not so much about the 72 in a 60)

"I refuse to grow up!"

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
I have been pulled over a few times, always a decent experience as long as you have the right attitude.

Only instances I know of where the cop was a jerk and/or took the gun away from the permit holder have been with Omaha Police. No surprise there

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
Yeah, I need to slow down on that stretch of road. I am lucky this was the first time I have been stopped. The somewhat ironic part was I was on my way to and advanced CCW class and got to report on the encounter there.  :)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »
Could you please elaborate on this and or link me to a discussion, tks.
I have been pulled over a few times, always a decent experience as long as you have the right attitude.

Only instances I know of where the cop was a jerk and/or took the gun away from the permit holder have been with Omaha Police. No surprise there
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »

There is not an online discussion of this case, it is someone I personally know, and I heard first hand what happened.

One of the nicest, most cooperative gentleman I know..... Yet after being pulled over for speeding, the OPD officer asked him to surrender his gun. It was returned at the end of the traffic stop

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
I have also had a couple of encounters with LE. Every time the stop was handled professionally and without incident.

Only once was the weapon secured for the duration of the stop and then returned. That was by a State Trooper at a checkpoint off the Interstate.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
Been stopped twice for DOT checks, informed the officer both times I had a concealed carry permit and loaded gun. Both said thanks for telling me, now pull over so we can inspect every little moving part on your truck and trailer. No tickets either time.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »
Here's an LEO in Iowa Story:

An Iowa Friend/Training Associate/Permit-to-Carry-Weapons Holder was stopped by an Iowa State Trooper on I-29.

Friend ID'ed himself as a Packer; showed PCW credentials.   [No Card; No Photo.  Just a Little Green Piece of Paper in Iowa]

Trooper took possession of the handgun, placed it in cruiser.   Then wrote a ticket.

Afterwards, Trooper returned the handgun to my friend and then sped off.

The handgun was in a plastic bag, field stripped.   [All parts were there.]

The magazine had been emptied.    [All rounds were in the plastic bag.]

I offer no further observations nor conclusions about this event.   It simply happened that way.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 07:45:09 AM »
I'm starting a new thread on this topic as not to interupt this one.

There is not an online discussion of this case, it is someone I personally know, and I heard first hand what happened.

One of the nicest, most cooperative gentleman I know..... Yet after being pulled over for speeding, the OPD officer asked him to surrender his gun. It was returned at the end of the traffic stop
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.