< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 1338 times)

Offline duramax

• NFOA Full Member
Need Help
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »
Looking for somebody in the North Platte area to teach my wife handgun use and safety. I might tag along also . She is intimadated by them and I personally don't have the the expertise to show her but the basics. She will listen and is a very good student, just not with me. I have a gp-100 357 mag and its nowhere near the right gun for her. Thanks for any help or leads.

Offline RWNJ

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
Actually, with light .38 spl loads, the GP100 is generally an excellent gun to train with.  What barrel length is this?
Cynical, opinionated, and far to the right of conservative.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
Actually, with light .38 spl loads, the GP100 is generally an excellent gun to train with.  What barrel length is this?

I would agree, I started the Scout moms out with my S&W 28 4" loaded with factory load .38s. They shot it very well. Just enough recoil to know something happened.  The GP100 shouldn't be much different. If I was closer, I would come out and help ya; between my scout moms and scout sisters, I enjoy teaching women to shoot, as then tend to listen and not overthink it. I'm not yet certified anywhere, but the basics is what she needs for now, once she is comfortable, then start working on tactics and stance, etc. Safety first, everything else later.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:59:41 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline duramax

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
Yes, I could use the 38 special loads, but she has real small hands. It has the 6 inch barrel, she has trouble handling the thing. And thanks for the replys, guys.

Offline RWNJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
Small hands with a 6" may be a bit much; they are heavy.  I have a 4" GP100 that would be great, as would NE Bull's S&W model 28.  Good luck with finding someone to help.  It is terrific that your lady desires to learn.  And I agree completely with Bull, Safety first, everything else later.  Revolvers are wonderful for new shooters (and fun, too - in my humble opinion).
Cynical, opinionated, and far to the right of conservative.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:33:28 AM »
Why not start her off with a .22 of some sort? 
When she is comfortable with that, then she can move up to something a bit more powerful.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.