< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hunters for the Hungry Program  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Hunters for the Hungry Program
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
I was over picking up my deer meat in Diller today when I noticed the sign for Hunters for the Hungry program, it talked about donating meat but the hunter was responsible for paying the entire cost of processing.  For me that was 70 dollars.  I think Hunters for the Hungry program is a good thing, and I think most hunters would harvest an extra doe if it didn't cost anything to donate.  I'm retired Navy and in Virginia, it didn't cost anything just donate the deer.  I'm wondering about if we could lobby the Unicameral to start a donation on your taxes, much like the non-game wildlife check off to fund this program.  Lots of people complain about deer, and a couple of dollars from alot of people could add up quickly.  The fund could be managed by NGPC, paid to the lockers...  What are your opinions on the subject...

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Hunters for the Hungry Program
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »
Lets add a charge to out of state hunters to cover such a thing. The lockers should be able to get a tax credit for their part of the donation too.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »
You might want to check, but I believe you can deduct the cost of processing as a charitable contribution if you donate the meat to the program.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:26:23 PM by Husker_Fan »

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
I know in Iowa they add a $1 charge to each license to pay for the hunters for the hungry program.  I think Ne has talked about doing a similar process, but on some of the hunting forums I go to there seems to be some pushback about the fee.

Not sure if you know about the deer exchange program that started 2 years ago.  It is designed to let hunters get ahold of people who want a deer but do not hunt themselves.  Go the the game and parks website to see more info on it.  I shot 6 deer last year and gave 4 away to people on the exchange program.