< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: XD-40 Conversions  (Read 2565 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
XD-40 Conversions
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »
So-------

I just purchased this Most Excellent Springfield Armory X(eXtreme)D(Duty) - 40 [w/XD Gear package) right here on the NFOA Forum.   Yesterday.   At a Most Favorable price, at least for the Buyer.

Very sweet package, 'tis.   You XD Pistoleros know the drill on this one.   Great trigger.   Just a little military slack takeup.   No stacking.   Crisp break.   Feels like only about 4-5 pounds.   Three safeties.   Twelve-round stainless steel mags.   Etc., etc.

I wuz gonna buy an FNH-40 at NRA Instructor's price and convert it to .357Sig, just for the Sheer Wonder of It All.   Then heard that FN marks their slides instead of their barrels and doesn't furnish factory conversion barrels.

Now--Have any of you SA XD pistoleros done any .357Sig, 9mm, .22LR, or other barrel/magazine/spring conversions on this model of handgun??    EFK, Storm Lake, and BarSto make .357Sig barrels for the XD-40.  They imply that it's just a matter of dropping in the .357Sig, loading up, and blasting.   The 9mm appears to require both barrel and magazine conversion.   [And springs??]   The  .22LR--if it actually exists--probably needs all three, plus prayer.

Any advice from any of you SA XD folks Who Know What You're Doing would be appreciated.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: XD-40 Conversions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
Never done a conversion myself.  A .22 conversion doesn't exist.  Why not just shoot .40?  I know enough about what I'm doing to just go ahead and shoot .40 out of my guns that were designed to shoot .40.  :D

You might want to check out www.xdtalk.com/forums if you want to research more.

Offline mcm80

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
You can simply buy a barrel for it to shoot .357 but like mud said, why?  :)  Funny thing is this weekend I had my first XD jam, ever.  When I investigated the ammo (winchester white box) the bullet was pushed too far into the casing which at first i thought the action of the pistol did it.  Then I looked and about 4 rounds out of 100 were damaged.

Anyway, just shoot the 40 :)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
Mudinyeri
1980 [mcm80]

First of all, thanks to both of you for your prompt responses to my inquiry.   'Preciate it very much.

Second, I'm [mildly] astounded that Two Serious Shooters (as evidenced by your ongoing membership in the NFOA Forum) are both saying, "Just Shoot the .40".    It's (almost) Amazing, Grace!

Of course I'm going to Shoot the .40.    Which is 'zactly why I bought it in the first place.   Never mind they call it the Forty-Short-and-Weak; that's balogna.   It's a Mean LEO Round in a Mean, Dependable Pistol.   So for sure I'm gonna Shoot the .40.   And then pick up the brass and reload it and Shoot the .40 again.   And again.

Third--however--the Spirit of Safe and Sound Firearms Experimentation is at the core of this Forum.    Most of us can have only One Main Girly Friend (for our safety), but we can have multiple firearms, many of them in combination.   For example, Who would say, "Just Shoot Your Armalite With the Same Upper and Lower That Wuz When You Got It".   Can't Imagine.

Fourth, as a firearms instructor, I've got a certain obligation to constantly expand my measly knowledge base to try to stay somewhat broad and current.   Haven't ever shot the .357Sig.

So---as you both suggested--I'm going to Shoot the .40.   Tonight at the Armory, in fact.   But I'm gonna look around for a .357Sig drop-in barrel and shoot that one, too.  [But maybe not the 9mm conversion; breech face is different, 9mm and .40.   Causes ejection problems, that.]

Thanks, again.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:51:33 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »
No reason not to experiment.  However, changing calibers in a handgun, IMO, is a bit more complex (in terms of the R&D required by the manufacturer) than mating up AR-based uppers and lowers.

I'll definitely be interested in hearing about your results and perhaps shooting with you if you're in the Omaha area.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »
Mud..........

Well, I took your advice [and mcm80's] and "shot the .40" tonight.   At the NG Armory.

Put a box or so of Winchester White Box target stuff through it.

A Little background here:   For CF semi-auto pistol shooting, I've been using a Kahr PM9 9mm w/Crimson Trace laser at the Bullet Hole (Omaha).   It's my carry pistol, and Those Who Claim to Know say "shoot the one you carry".

Mainly been hole-punching.   But also did the IDPA/IPSC courses on Tuesday nights, up until January this year when the BH closed it down.   Main point is that I've grown accustomed to shooting a sub-compact pistol w/significant muzzle flip, some gripping issues, and a trigger which requires sorta just-so finger joint placement.

Well, switching to the Bigger Boomer this evening was a Handgun of a Different Color.  [SS and Earthtone, actually.]   First, it was nice to again hold a fully grippable handgun.   Good ergos on the XD.   And nice to just stick a finger in the trigger guard and not think about the distal phalange, or whatever.   And nice to see some decent hole patterns off a brannew gun.   Other stuff too.   Like........Makes a Nice Big Boom.   And it pretty much throws the brass around your feet.

So--you gave good advice.   And....I shot the .40.

T'would be a pleasure to shoot with you.   Whenever you get the urge, just give me a holler on
[402] 333-4509.

Ken

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »
Glad to hear you had fun, Ken.  I also own a PM9 and they're a joy to shoot for a tiny little gun in a 9mm package.

I'm a member of the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club.  Might try to get down there this week to exercise my rights.  :D  If so, I'll give you a holler.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »
Mud......

Gotcher msg.

sfg