< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gunsmith in Lincoln  (Read 4035 times)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Gunsmith in Lincoln
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Hello all,
Looking at getting some night sights installed on my Springfield XDm and wondering if you have suggestions for a gunsmith in/around Lincoln.  XDm factory sights are notoriously difficult to remove, so looking for someone legit and experienced.

Thanks in advance...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gunsmith in Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »
I can say don't use Travis Ferking in Courtland on first hand experience.  If you don't mind a wait, we have internationally known Cylinder and Slide in Fremont, an hour north of Lincoln.  If you want to drive a bit, out to almost Lexington, Run-N-Iron is also an excellent gunsmith...

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Thanks WW,
I hadn't gotten any replies to this, so sent my slide to a guy that specializes in sights on the XDm.  Looking forward to having night sights back early this week.

I'll keep both of your other suggestions in mind for any future work though, to avoid shipping!

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
Where did you send them to?  I am thinking about sending mine to Springer Precision.  Also, Cylinder and Slide in Fremont has about a 1 year waiting list.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »
Mike Schlereth is far East Lincoln on A street.  Excellent GS in my opinion.  Never met anyone who disagreed. 488-1551

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
Late, I realize, but I send all my XDs to http://www.xd-hs2000.com in Alabama. Fast, reasonable and I have never had to adjust the sights once they come back.

Just send in the slide, so no need to FFLs. Great guys and great work.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:57:20 PM »
joe, that's who i sent me slide to.  Have heard nothing but good things and he is a site sponsor on another forum I frequent.  James Nichols is the person there I talked to.  He called today to tell me the slide has shipped back to me... must have called me 'Sir' 5 times in 3 minutes.  I got Trijicon night sights, including installation, for $100 and tax.  Shipping was $7 with USPS priority flat rate.  Only sent the slide so no issues with sending to FFL or anything like that.  He advertises 24hr turnaround on sight installs. 

Offline iiranger

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:51 PM »
bob marvel, crete

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Update:  finally got my slide back (the 2nd time).  NO ISSUES with XD-HS2000 crew... USPS shipped the slide from Arkansas to Nebraska... via Hawaii  ::) The Flat Rate Priority box was so beat up, the front sight was damaged even with the packing they included.  Luckily, James had me ship it right back and replaced the front sight at no charge.  Finally got it back today, so I volunteered to do the Thanksgiving shopping since I haven't been able to CCW at all this month  ;D

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:46:50 AM »
bob marvel, crete

Great gunsmith if you don't mind waiting forever to get it done....... And then of course have to listen to him ramble on about how his 1911's are the only reliable gun out there......

Offline Sailboarderr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
I will back up Mike Schlereth on West A.  Fantastic work!!!! Would trust to do any work for me.  Very honest too.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
I had Mike Sclereth work on my Springfield 1873.  H had an eye for detail  Found a broken piece in the stock behind the action that I would never have found unless it fractured further from firing the gun.  From my limited dealings with him, he seems to be a very honest man.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum