< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Issues with CCW form  (Read 1556 times)

Offline jlantzer

• Powder Benefactor
Issues with CCW form
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
I'm looking into getting a CCW permit. My concern is that 2 years ago I went through an ugly divorce and the ex filed a protection order against me.  Question 9-  asks " Have you been a subject of a protection order." Just wondering if this will hurt me or if I can do anything about it.  The order has expired with no problems. My opinion is was a dick move on her part to try and hurt me.  Thanks for any help.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Issues with CCW form
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
When I got my divorce in Omaha 25 years ago it was common to have a PO filed no matter what. I called the State Patrol office and asked them about it and they said that I should just put it on the application. It didn't keep me from getting my permit, but there was never any reason for the PO to come into play. I didn't think it was common practice anymore to have them automatically filed. Call the State Patrol, I think they said they would do the check for $15.00 before you apply for the permit. If you think it might affect you, the cost is minimal.

Offline jlantzer

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »
Straight the source. Thank you very much!

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
They will not issue a permit if the restraining order is still in effect.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline rich17z

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »
All of the protction orders are normally good for one year by I think Nebraska law. You might just want to call John Brunning on this at the state capital building on this.   He might be able to help or Talk to Linda at the state patrol office in Lincoln.  That is who I talked to 2 years ago because mine was dismissed.  My ex did get poed about it.  Check up and tell them all the details and they can run it for you.  Good Luck.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:30:17 AM »
The AG's office cannot provide legal advice or interpretation to anyone but lawmakers, state agencies or government bodies. It's statute.

Call the State Patrol.

Offline jlantzer

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
called NSP. they said as long as the PO is no longer in force and you had no violations of it you are good.   SO LET THE PROCESS BEGIN!!!

Offline rich17z

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »
But remember to put the date when you got served with it and when the order was dismissed.