< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Essential hunting equipment  (Read 2910 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Essential hunting equipment
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »
Greetings,

I am thinking about doing a little hunting this year.  I have a few friends with land who have invited me.  One has offered to use some land for turkey, another for pheasant, and I might be able to do some deer hunting if I can get an appropriate rifle in time.

I don't have ANY gear so my questions are...

• What is the essential gear I will need? Insulated boots, shooting gloves (with open fingers since my shotgun trigger guard is not very wide), orange vest with game pockets and shot shell holder, warm jacket (maybe layers?), warm/waterproof pants for traipsing through brush, etc.
  • Where do you find the best prices for said equipment?
  • What brands do you think give the best value for the price?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline jlantzer

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Essential hunting equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »
Believe it or not. Try walmart. I bought a turkey call last spring for $35 at cabelas, walmart had the same call for $20. Name brand stuff i.e. mossyoak, realtree. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
Thanks jlantzer,

What kind of equipment would you suggest?  Mind you, my friends should have all the blinds, calls, etc.  All I should need is the right ammo, my gun, a permit/stamp, and the right clothing.

Thanks,
Fly

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »
Are you looking for an excuse to buy gear or do you just want to go hunting?  :)

If you just want to go hunting, your friends should be able to make ammo recommendations (as they will know the conditions).  If you have warm clothes and the proper hunting license/permits/stamps, you're almost there.  A little blaze orange never hurts for field hunting.  You can find vests and caps at WalMart, as jlantzer said, about as cheaply as anywhere.

If you're looking for an excuse to buy gear on the other hand ....

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:14:05 AM »
Dont forget a basic medical kit. At a minimum have a commercial tourniquet handy. A small military style bandage isnt a bad idea either. No reason to lay out in the middle of nowhere and bleed to death because you dont have a simple piece of kit. It happens every year and one hunter has already died this season in Washington county.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »
Are you looking for an excuse to buy gear or do you just want to go hunting?  :)

If you just want to go hunting, your friends should be able to make ammo recommendations (as they will know the conditions).  If you have warm clothes and the proper hunting license/permits/stamps, you're almost there.  A little blaze orange never hurts for field hunting.  You can find vests and caps at WalMart, as jlantzer said, about as cheaply as anywhere.

If you're looking for an excuse to buy gear on the other hand ....

Yes and no.  ::)  I don't want to go crazy, but I know that the right gear in any outdoor situation can make it a pleasant experience or, with the wrong equipment, an excruciating one.

Fly
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:56:39 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
Geez, Shawn, you sound like a paramedic or something...

He's right on, though. A small pocket aid kit can make all the difference in the world.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
A small FAK like the Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak is ideal: http://www.lapolicegear.com/amk-trauma-pak.html

None of your hunts sound like overnighters so that simplifies things.  A good pack is a place to start.  I sell Eberlestock packs.  They're not cheap but they're VERY good.  A pack like the Mini Me isn't terribly expensive but you can carry the essentials in it comfortably.  Here's a link to the Eberlestock website: http://eberlestock.com/H1%20Mini-Me.htm  I have a Mini Me myself.  It's a great little hunting pack.  It has a pull-out bird bag that can also be used to carry deer quarters.  You can add a scabbard to carry your rifle if you want.  My price is $99.00.

In addition to my hunting supplies I also usually throw the following in my pack:
- Heat Sheet Emergency Survival Blanket (get the one for one or two people)
- UCO Stormproof Matches in a waterproof container and some sort of tinder
- Some high-energy food like Clif Bars
- Water (the Mini Me has a 2 liter water bladder and an insulated hose to help keep it from freezing)
- Nitrile gloves - I use them for field dressing; it keeps my hands dry and clean so when I stick them back inside my gloves my gloves don't get all nasty

I also like to stay warm and dry when I hunt.  

I use glove liners inside mittens that open up to expose your fingers.  That way, I have good access to my trigger when I need it, but I don't have bare skin on cold metal and I can always close the mittens up to warm up my digits if I need to.  I also have a pair of $12.00 waterproof gloves from Scheels (in their fishing department) that are life-savers in snow, sleet and freezing rain.

If it's really cold, I like a lightweight balaclava with a wool stocking cap on my head.  I bought a good quality balaclava from one of the sporting good stores in town and a wool Jeep Cap from Cheaper than Dirt.  That combination keeps the wind off my face and the heat in my head.

A 4 in 1 parka is a good idea.  Make sure at least the outer layer is of quality waterproof material.  I bought a new one this year made of the waterproof "suede" material.  It's a lot quieter than the old Goretex stuff.

An old fashioned pair of Carhart insulated bibs is nice when it's really cold out too.  If it's not that cold, make sure your pants are made of a sturdy fabric that will not be susceptible to briars and brambles.  Cabela's carries their own brand of "Upland Jeans" that are relatively inexpensive ($20-$25) but have a nice sticker-proof front on them.  Search Cabela's website for Roughneck Unlined Upland Jeans.

That brings us down to boots and socks.  A good pair of boots is absolutely essential to hunting, like upland game birds, that has you walking all day long.  I have a couple pair that I like.  One pair, believe it or not, is intended for snow mobilers and sold under the Polaris brand.  I think they're called Xtreme or something like that.  The other pair is a pair of Sorels that I've owned for years.  However, your feet may be very different from mine and these boots might be uncomfortable for you.  Look for boots that have good arch support, sturdy soles, good tread, are waterproof and are made by a reputable company.  I think Cabela's and Scheels both have "no questions asked" warranties on some of their boots - although, I had to answer a lot of questions and complain a bit at Scheels the last time I needed to exchange a pair of boots there.

Socks.  I use a liner that wicks away sweat under a padded wool sock.  Make sure you buy your boots big enough to accommodate your socks.  Boots that are too tight will smash your socks and reduce the air-space that thick socks create - which is part of how they keep your feet warm.

Oh, if it's really really cold, I wear a mid-weight base layer like Under Armour Cold Gear.  That stuff is like magic but you pay for it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:07:24 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
A small FAK like the Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak is ideal: http://www.lapolicegear.com/amk-trauma-pak.html

Mudinyeri, great post. The proper gear makes all the difference. 

But here`s something to consider. Hemostatics like QuikClot or Celox are great products but are only effective on specific types of injuries and must be used in a very specific way. If the bleeding is in an extremity a commercial tourniquet should be the first thing you use if your by yourself or bleeeding cannot be controlled with direct pressure within 30sec.

If the wound is in a part of the body that wont allow the use of a TK then hemostatics may be indicated. But in order for it to be effective you need to locate the exact source of the bleed. Simply pouring or packing this product into a hole may do little or nothing.

This is a subject that I cover at length in the Advanced Pistol Level 3 class that The Bullet Hole is now offering.

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »

Mudinyeri, great post. The proper gear makes all the difference. 

But here`s something to consider. Hemostatics like QuikClot or Celox are great products but are only effective on specific types of injuries and must be used in a very specific way. If the bleeding is in an extremity a commercial tourniquet should be the first thing you use if your by yourself or bleeeding cannot be controlled with direct pressure within 30sec.

If the wound is in a part of the body that wont allow the use of a TK then hemostatics may be indicated. But in order for it to be effective you need to locate the exact source of the bleed. Simply pouring or packing this product into a hole may do little or nothing.

This is a subject that I cover at length in the Advanced Pistol Level 3 class that The Bullet Hole is now offering.

Sounds like you're a pro.  The Trauma Pak contains more than just the clotting agent.  Here's the product description.

The new Trauma Pak with QuikClot? includes trauma pads, sterile gauze, wraps and duct tape to secure dressings or improvise a seal for a sucking chest wound, non-latex gloves and bio-hazard disposal bag, and an instructional sheet with information on how to quickly diagnose and treat wounds.. A must have item for any hunter!

I'm thinking you could make a tourniquet from the duct tape and a stick.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
In studies and in the field improvised tourniquets are not very effective. Knowing the mechanics of how a TK is supposed to work can you fashion one with the proper materials? Sure, but how long does that take? And how easy will it be to improvise under stress? It will be very difficult.

What other piece of emergency equipment would you expect to just throw together if you needed it?

These are the kits that the students in my Level 3 class will be getting.
 http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/store/Products_Detail.php?ProductID=48

There are many different kits on the market and this is just one. The Adventure Medical Kit noted above would be just fine with the addition of a commercial TK.

Its easy enough to find out how effective the duct tape/stick TK is, I`ll give it a try tommorow and let you know.

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:29 AM »
This is exactly the stuff I was looking for.  Thanks guys.

Fly

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31:51 PM »
Dont forget the Oreo's, they are in every survival / BO kit I have.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »
How far from civilization are you packin'?

Me, I don't plan on getting more than a mile rom my vehicle (Any further and I'm off the property).  The only absolute essentials are warm waterproof clothes and boots, gun, cartridges (9 in the butt-cuff),  knife and permit.

That said, when deer hunting,  I also carry/wear: a .357 revolver, binoculars, range finder, 50' of para-cord, compass, field dressing, flashlight, grunt tube, bleat can, hatchet, stoney pt. shooting sticks ..... and dried apple chips to snack on.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

A-FIXER

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
The sidearm is always a good idea if wounding the critter, and being a good hunter to put it down.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
The sidearm is always a good idea if wounding the critter, and being a good hunter to put it down.

Yeah, shooting a deer in the brain at close range with a high powered rifle is messy....... though I try to kill them with the first shot..... I'm hunting with kids now though, and the last two deer that Eldest shot did not die before we got to them.

Aside from that, I want something I can get to and use if I get suprised by a mountain lion...... A scoped boltie or a 12 guage is pretty useless if the cat is already on you.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
I never go out hunting without my .357 strapped to my hip. There are times when a rifle just isn't what is needed.
WØCHF

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »
Fly, unless I'm reading less into what your saying, you have limited if any hunting experience.  If this is true, the most essential "item" you will need is a good hunter education course.  Just like firearms, the more training you have prior to entering the field, the more enjoyable the experience will be... Good Hunting...