< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Senate race 2012  (Read 2923 times)

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
Nebraska Senate race 2012
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
It's probably in the news by now, but some old friends tell me that current Attorney General Jon Bruning will form a Senate exploration panel now that Gov. Heineman has opted not to challenge Ben Nelson.

In all openness, I used to work for Bruning. He can be a bit polarizing, but he is 100% committed to protecting gun rights and the Second Amendment. He is also the rare political figure who says what he thinks instead of what is "proper."

This is something for we gunnies to keep an eye on. Obviously 2012 is ways out, but we would be hard pressed to find a better pro-gun politician to take on Nelson.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Nebraska Senate race 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
While my pet salamander (Independent) could win against bin Nelson, I would vote for Mr. Bruning. As far as I can remember, he has not done anything to even appear to take rights away from me.

There is a poll here that if it is and indication, he would win.

http://www.khastv.com/news/local/Bruning-Considers-Senate-Run-in-2012-106766938.html

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »
joe,
I ask this with all due respect.....what does the term "polarizing" mean/imply.  I hear it oft used by the Dems and RINOs (not an attack on you by any means).  Just curious as to your definition...again with all due respect.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »
Not answering for JM24, but usually in the media what they call "polarizing" is just someone that is not wishy-washy and sticks to their ideals... be they conservative or liberal.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
Bruning has always struck me as a bit of an opportunist, pretty much a stereotypical career politician.  That being said, he does fall on the right side of pretty much every issue I care about so I intend to vote for him if he runs.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
And I plan on voting for him also...

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:34:55 AM »
I'll reserve judgment until I see who else gets into the Republican primary.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
I'll reserve judgment until I see who else gets into the Republican primary.

Yeah, that is wise. I hope whoever emerges is a strong enough candidate to kick Back-room Ben to the curb once and for all. I would like to think Nebraskans have enough sense and pride to vote him out....but I'm not that confident.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
Nelson is obviously a survivor, and what was reported this week is that his favorable rating is still at or just above 50%.  But, as was pointed out to me, he'll be 71 in 2012.  He may not want to fight a tough reelection battle and choose go out on his own terms. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't run, and nobody else on the democratic side of politics in this state would have a prayer.

Offline ScottC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
I to believe Ben will likely retire rather than go the re-election route. 

Makes sense since he's sold out Nebraska so many times in the last couple years. 

He's likely been promised either a cush-title-pretend-job somewhere or a fat nest-egg to sit back on.

I doubt he'll be coming back to Nebraska to retire either.

And then they wonder why people say the clowns in DC are NOT representing us...

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »
Prediction....Bob Kerrey will run in Ben's place if he decides not to
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:33:48 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »
Prediction....Bob Kerrey will run in Ben's place if he decides not to

Hmm...a guy who hasn't lived in Nebraska for a decade or more.  That would really tick me off.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
Pat Flynn from Schuyler is running again.  Did respectable against Johanns.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:33:50 PM »
Rumors are floating that the present Secretary of Ag, Vilsac wants out or is wanted out of the Obama administration and that Ben might be in the running to replace him.  Farm Bill is coming up for discussion, the Dems know that he has a good chance of losing his seat.  Not sure that there is anything to it, but it's something that I have heard more than once.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
Rumors are floating that the present Secretary of Ag, Vilsac wants out or is wanted out of the Obama administration and that Ben might be in the running to replace him.  Farm Bill is coming up for discussion, the Dems know that he has a good chance of losing his seat.  Not sure that there is anything to it, but it's something that I have heard more than once.

What's the procedure for replacing a missing Senator in NE?  Does Heineman appoint someone, is there a special election?  Either way, I doubt the White House would take Ben since his seat will almost certainly go red.
NRA Life Member.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
Yes, the Governor of each state has the authority of replacing a Senator.  A recent example is Blago of IL replacing HBO (and look at the trouble that became).  In fact, US Senators used to serve at the whim of the Governor as out Founding Fathers intended.  It was only until recent times the position became an elected position. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=18423

In the following 36 states, the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly-scheduled, statewide general election.  The person elected at that next regularly-held general election serves for the remainder of the unexpired term, if any.  If the term was set to expire at that general election, the person elected serves a full six-year term.

Arizona (1)   

Kentucky   

New York (2)

California   

Maine   

North Carolina

Colorado   

Maryland   

North Dakota

Delaware   

Michigan   

Ohio

Florida   

Minnesota (2)   

Pennsylvania

Georgia   

Missouri   

South Carolina

Hawaii (1,2,3)   

Montana   

South Dakota

Idaho   

Nebraska   

Tennessee

Illinois   

Nevada   

Utah (1)

Indiana   

New Hampshire   

Virginia (2)

Iowa   

New Jersey (2)   

West Virginia

Kansas

New Mexico

Wyoming  (1)

(1) The governor's appointee must be of the same political party as that of the vacating Senator.

(2) If the vacancy occurs before a specified date preceding the regular primary (HI:  60 days; MN:  6 weeks; NJ:  30 days; NY:  59 days; VA:  12 days), the election is held in the following November; if the vacancy occurs within the specified period preceding the regular primary, the vacancy election is held at the second November election after the vacancy occurs.

(3) The governor makes an appointment by selecting from a list of three prospective appointees submitted by the party.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
I have been thinking about this 2012 election, I really think Benedict Nelson will not run.
I don't think he has the stomach to take the heat from Ne. voters.
I noticed that after he sold his soul to Harry Reid, he didn't have the nerve to march in the Ralston July 4th parade, maybe a coincidence, but he had never missed for many years.
Plus he cost me a 6 pack of Sam Adams, as my brother and I planned to heckle him there, and we bet weather he would show up or not...
Brunning has good conservative credentials, he seems a bit of an opportunist and self promoter but what politician isn't...

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 11:47:31 PM »
Bruning would make a fine replacement of traitor Ben Nelson. Nelson not only sold Nebraska out he did so as well to all the people of the United States by voting for an unconstitutional healthcare bill that was rammed down the throats of the American people by a wicked and rebellious government.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »
Bruning would make a fine replacement of traitor Ben Nelson. Nelson not only sold Nebraska out he did so as well to all the people of the United States by voting for an unconstitutional healthcare bill that was rammed down the throats of the American people by a wicked and rebellious government.

Dan, based on your statements here- I would vote for YOU!

'Experience' is always lauded in candidates- but what's important is not political experience. We already have a LOT of 'experience' in D.C. We have a notable lack of character and adherence to the Constitution. Hopefully Nebraskans will stop contributing to the problem by sending Senators of Nelson's ilk.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud