< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Remington Model 8 and 81 Rifles  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Remington Model 8 and 81 Rifles
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
I have recently developed an interest in these old semi-auto rifles. I would be interested in hearing from anyone here on the list who owns one or has had a chance to shoot one. I have seen them at gun shows for years and thinking of adding one to the collection. As with all old guns it pays to learn the market for them before investing and good to talk with those who have some experience. After all a guy needs a good reason to keep prowling the gun shows. ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Remington Model 8 and 81 Rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:04 AM »
Weren't a lot of those used by prison guards?  I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:03 AM »
Yep, a lot of police and sheriff departments used them too. Special models were even offered with extended magazines for more fire power, an early high cap center fire for law enforcment. Sheriff Frank Hammer used one to help dispatach two well known bank robbers by the names of Bonnie and Clyde. I am looking for one to dispatch some Nebraska venison in a vintage style sometime. ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
I was at Old West Guns in Kearney today and I think I saw a couple of these hanging on his wall.  I don't know what he was asking for them but it might be worth calling.  That's kind of a neat store, they have a lot of old lever guns.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »
I was in there today also, looking at the muzzleloaders.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I will give him a call and see what he has. I did find one on Gun Broker last week that looked like it would fill the bill that did not sell. I contacted the seller and they made me a pretty fair offer so I took the chance and picked it up. I should be getting it today. It was owned by a local hunter in the town the gun shop was in and when he passed away it came to them for sale from his estate. Kind of cool in that he had engraved his initials in the reciver and put a scope on it. This lowered its collector value enough to make it afordable for a guy like me who is just interested in a shooter. It was also made the same year I was born. If it is still functional or repairable enough to make so I will put it back in the field. If not I have a parts gun and will be on the hunt for another one. I was at Cabelas in MN. this last Thanksgiving holiday and found one there but they wanted way more for it than I could handle and since when you buy one of these old guns they are "as is" with no way to be sure if they are still safe to shoot. Kind of a treasure hunt that I am having fun with. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
Interesting rifle.  I just read the wikipedia article on it, sounds like it operates very similarly to my Winchester model 1911 12 ga. shotgun, (aka the "widowmaker") that I just happen to have for sale.   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 06:36:34 AM »
The rifle turned out to be a good find. Very good condition for its age and seems to be functional with out any major issues. ;D Now I need to get going on cleaning it up, finding a ventage scope for it to go along with the mounts and rounding up the brass and dies.  8) 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:14 AM »

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
I took a couple of pics last night before I started taking the rifle apart for a good cleaning but they didnt come out too good. Now its spread all over my gun room. Spose I better post em anyway to keep Gunny from kicking my sorry butt! ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
That's a sharp looking rifle.  Just needs an old Weaver or Lyman scope and it's perfect.  What caliber? 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:36:17 PM by bkoenig »

A-FIXER

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
I was looking at things at Don's Hobby Guns in kearney and they have a bunch of older weaver lower powered scopes, that may fit you mood on a scope for your new find.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
Wow, I need to get out to Kearney this winter for sure. The rifle is in .30 Remington Auto. It was Remington's answer to the 30-30 Winchester. The only real diffrence being that it is a rimless rifle case. There are some other dimentional changes too but one can use the same load data for it as with the 30-30 Win. Midway still has new manufactured brass for it and both RCBS and Redding still make the dies.
Thanks for the tips on the scopes guys. A low powered old Weaver or Lyman is exactly what I will be looking for. Something in the 2 to 2.5 range would be perfict for a cool retro deer rig. That way I can go for using the open sights and have the scope to back up my old eyes early in the morning or at O-Deer:Thirty at sundown.
I will post up some better pics when I get it back together.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:36:58 AM »
Got the dies, brass and some 150 grain Hornady bullets all together. Loaded up some starter loads and made it to the range yesterday. Good thing to, looks like things are headed south before the end of the year.
The old girl shot just fine, no cycling issues and she's not hard on the brass at all. The trigger is pretty nice too, old John Browning did a darn good job on his last design.
Its a good thing I have a vintage Weaver K 2.5 scope on the way that I found on Gun Broker as the buckhorns are really not working for me. Now its time to work up a good deer load and get the scope sighted in when I can. I had to do a "Bubba Fix" on the scope mount base to deal with the stripped ring mount hole. The Weaver #4 six hole mount base has been out of production for years and I have not been able to locate one yet. So I reworked the damaged one. The threads for the slotted thumb screw were of course a very fine odd size and I only wanted to go just as far as needed to retap a new hole. The next best larger thread size available off the shelf was 12-24 and fasteners for this size are a non-stock item and only come in very limited styles so the resulting fix is not to purty but it works. Hope I can find a replacement base plate some day but at least for now it will get it working. I dont think the deer will care anyway.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »
This is an interesting rifle.  I've seen it twice now, once in pieces and now together and throwing lead.  It looks like a bull barrel but in fact it is a sleeve that barrel recoils inside of.  Sort of a John Browning trait.  Nice work Ray!
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
Thanks for the complement! :) I am looking forward to heading out for some retro deer hunting this next season. Here is the finished product in all its leading edge 1940's semi-auto glory. ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
Kinda has an AK look with that safety and charging handle.  Makes you wonder...