< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So ...... what did YOU learn this Deer Season?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
So ...... what did YOU learn this Deer Season?
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:19:26 AM »
Me, I-

-Learned that I do not shoot an open sighted gun very well,in comparison to my regular scoped boltie........  100 yards seems a lot longer when you don't have any magnification to aid you.....

-There is nothing so beautiful as watching one of your children do something well, even if they are not ultimately successful at the task at hand......

-already knew this, but was reminded that the best things in Life are not things, but are the company of Good People and the opportunity to share your best efforts with them.

.....SO ..... what did YOU lean?

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: So ...... what did YOU learn this Deer Season?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »
.I had open sight problems too.  The place where my stand sits is in a deep canyon with tall trees so it stays dark a long time there.  I couldn't see the sights and missed a buck opening morning.  I borrowed a scoped rifle that night and missed another buck because scope's reticle was miving around inside the tube.  I borrowed a third rifle next morning and finally filled my tag.  So I guess my lesson was use the right equipment and test it first.  Between my tiny buck and my rifle problems I took a lot of good ribbing from the other guys. 

We had a lot of fun though, with my 10 year old nephew going on his first hunt and my brother in law's 12 year old cousin taking his first deer.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:09:30 AM »
I learned that success in hunting and family involvement may be at odds with one another, but family is far more important.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
I learned that success in hunting and family involvement may be at odds with one another, but family is far more important.

Keep at it: Eldest (14) dropped her first "one shot" deer this year..... her smile was so big, I thought the corners of her mouth would meet in the back and her head would fall off above the mouth...... excited jabbering went on well into the 4 hour drive home..... Third daughter "Cold Toes  Jac" did not get a shot, but is overcoming her fear of recoil, ringing the 50 yard steel plate 3 of 5 times with her sister's 30/30 Friday night...... Little James (8 years ancient) is just learning to be quiet in the woods and working on his gun handling still....... It is not easy taking deer with kids in tow, but is certainly more rewarding when they are successful than it is when you are by yourself!  I have killed many deer in the past, but would rather get skunked (it happened a couple of years in a row when I first started taking them) than tell them they can't go.  Besides, Eldest has taken up weight lifting, and dragging deer has gotten a WHOLE lot easier since!

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:06 AM »
Claymores at the driveways to keep poachers/dirt bikers the hell out.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

My dad has a real problem with trespassers coming on his land without permission.  The ones that road hunt and shoot a deer standing on private property are bad enough, but he has people who drive right onto his land looking for deer.  We've run a number of them off over the years.  If we ever catch one close enough that I can identify them I plan to ask them how much it's worth for me to not call the sheriff.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
I really have a tough time with the ones who tell me they know the owner (my land ) and have permission to hunt
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:29:04 PM »

Actually, road hunters are Lazy by nature, and if you can OK it with the land owner, a little barbed wire and a fence stretcher are wonderful tools for closing gates.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
What have I learned?

Moving mine and my family's 20+ year collection of crap to a new house during rifle season leaves no time to hunt.

:'(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »
I learned that hunting deer in Eastern Nebraska is not like hunting deer in Western Nebraska.

I learned what an earthquake in Nebraska feels like.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:25:40 PM »
well i haven't had time to hunt deer yet.  im getting married soon, so i won't have time until the first of the year.  but while i did sneak out and hunt pheasants, i learned what a tree stand and trail cam would look like when a trespasser sets up on your land and baits deer.....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
So do you have a new trailcam and tree stand?

Offline kruegster

• NFOA Full Member
    • Owner: Kitchen Tune-Up of Lincoln
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:14 AM »
I learned how to get my deer with a new dodge with 2159 miles on it.
They are on the roads more during hunting season.
Wish everyone could get the 20 head "kill Permit" like landonwers can.
WAYYYYYYYY too many deer in eastern NE.
Kruegster
"I refuse to grow up!"

A-FIXER

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
Yup, on the personal side What I learned this Deer season, after finishing cutting wood and having it nicely stacked and after covering with a tarp is.........." DON'T JUMP OFF THE WOOD PILE AFTER AN OFFER OF A LADDER TO GET DOWN" I fractured my ankle and toe bones and now hopping around like chester off of gunsmoke. Some old guys like me NEVER LEARN.....your not that young anymore, and you take longer to heal.......NUTS....

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
I learned how to get my deer with a new dodge with 2159 miles on it.
They are on the roads more during hunting season.
Wish everyone could get the 20 head "kill Permit" like landonwers can.
WAYYYYYYYY too many deer in eastern NE.
Kruegster

You have some land w/ excess deer? I have 2 daughters with tags remaning for BP and Anlerless Late seasons!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
Yup, on the personal side What I learned this Deer season, after finishing cutting wood and having it nicely stacked and after covering with a tarp is.........." DON'T JUMP OFF THE WOOD PILE AFTER AN OFFER OF A LADDER TO GET DOWN" I fractured my ankle and toe bones and now hopping around like chester off of gunsmoke. Some old guys like me NEVER LEARN.....your not that young anymore, and you take longer to heal.......NUTS....

You stacking wood that high that you need a ladder?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:03 PM »
I learned that in Deer Season, you see LOTS of Turkeys.

Compare that experience to Turkey Season, when I saw LOTS of .........yep...........DEER.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

A-FIXER

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »

You stacking wood that high that you need a ladder?

Well it was 6' high 50' long 12'wide and then I had to attempt to jump off far enough to miss 3/4 of the remaining pellet and decorative retaining blocks and thats about 5' from the stack it was dark and on and on but yes I have a fully functional furnace but my wife and daughter really enjoys the wood burning heat out of the earth stove. and lucky for me I have not used my furnace for 10yrs or so, and I really like cutting with my dad gives us time together.