< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Converting a pistol to a SBR?  (Read 3752 times)

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
Converting a pistol to a SBR?
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »
I am thinking about a conversion kit to convert a pistol to a SBR.
My questions are:
1.   What paperwork will be involved? I know there is a $200 tax on this.
2.   If I register this pistol as a SBR, will I still be able to use it as a pistol when not in the conversion unit legally?

Any info you guys can provide would be a big help. I am trying to figure out which way to go. Conversion or complete build on a SBR sub gun.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Converting a pistol to a SBR?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
i would post this on ar15.com under the armory section.  they have NFA gurus that know their stuff.  make sure to add what state you're in and any other info that might be important.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Any NFA firearm you are building yourself requires ATF Form 1 two copies with passport type photos attatched, a form 5330.20 citizenship form, and two ATF marked fingerprint cards you can order from ATF website, or get from other sources, do not use local cards available from PD and Sheriff.

Fill out the form 1s, attach photos, take to Chief Law Enf. Officer CLEO to sign the forms stating they know no reason why you can not possess a firearm,  Mail form 1ns completed fingerprint cards, citizenship form, to NFA branch with a check for $200 for each item registered.   Impatiently wait, when form 1 returns approved.  Then you can attain and combine with the parts needed to complete your configuration. Durring the time waiting for the form 1 get the receiver or barrel marked with name/city/state in a not hidden spot.  You will have to specify a barrel length and overall length and caliber, if you are going to configure differently I would suggest you put in the description text, also to be used with caliber x,y,z  barrel lengths x,y,z  with and without butt stock overall lengths x,y,z  keep all parts needed to configure match with form specs, if changing configuration permanent then later send a notice to the NFA brach, temp changes are covered by the description text. 

AOWs and silencers do not need form 5330.20 to transport across state lines, your SBR will before you travel.  You can travel through non NFA states like Iowa, etc if your destination state is legal, but do not use in non NFA state.  You could use in NON NFA states in NON NFA configuration, by federal law but if your gun is ran by authorities I would expect to loose it when it comes back as registered illegal in that state. If you don't loose the gun bonus for you, but be ready the Chicago cop that wants a new Sawed off Shotgun for duty use just might take it for officer safety.  When you sell the gun, either it sells as SBR or you notify the NFA branch to remove gun from registry and then you sell as a title I gun.

If you live somewhere that the CLEO will not sign for you, then you will have to look at Trust or Corporation ownership routes.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
Tag....I'm considering building an SBR out of a Draco AK pistol.  I'm just starting to research this myself.  Unfortunately Herr Casady refuses to sign off on any NFA items in Lincoln so I have to go with a Trust.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:33:59 AM »
Not that hard to find a second residence in another location. With a different CLEO.

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »
Thats great info David, maybe i'll just get one already mfg'd and leave the hardwork up to you boys.

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
Thanks Dave! I'll contact you soon! Waiting to get back the dough I loaned the goberment over the past year. Will do it then.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
Not that hard to find a second residence in another location. With a different CLEO.

You know, I would consider a trust anyway even if he would sign off, just because I don't think it's anything the CLEO needs to know.  It's none of his business whether I have NFA items or not.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
Am I correct in thinking the trust would allow for your entire family to use/possess  an NFA item if they are trust members?

Would it not also make it very easy to pass on your NFA hardware to your children?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
get a trust.  that way every time you add to it, you won't have to get fingerprints, photo and a CLEO sign off.  its just easier and bypasses hassles and having to explain yourself to the antis.  i think im about to add to my trust very soon.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

A-FIXER

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
As I understand it, they must be listed as co-owners of said item and as the main executor you the purchaser has the power to change said trust at will, but with the trust there would not be an additional 200.00 transfer upon your death. and legally can us said item without question or your presence.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
I am thinking a suppressor is in my near future...
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
I did the trust route, only way to go in my opinion. It is also a good way to get one over on the likes of Cassidy. Suppressors are fantastic.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.