< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Moving targets  (Read 798 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Moving targets
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »
Ok, I went deer hunting this year for the first time in about 25 years.  I was quickly reminded that hunting is not the same as shooting.

Probably the biggest mental problem I have is that I do not want to just wound the animal, I want to kill it or mortally wound it on the first shot.  Unlike the targets at the range, the bloody deer keep moving around.  So I have a conundrum, either a) I get so close that anything short of an all-out run won't matter, b) practice shooting at a moving target, or c) accept that I am not going to get a killing shot very often.

Looking around the Net I see that several places suggest shooting at rolling tires for practce and this seems like a workable idea.  Does anyone know of any ranges around here that would do this?  Are moving targets covered in the Appleseed events?

Talking to another gunnie he thought maybe clay pigeons, but we decided that the speed, size, and scope were sufficiently different that it would be of limited application.

Anyone know of a good training program, or anything? 

A-FIXER

Re: Moving targets
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
I've read what you have said and agree that a well placed shot is not only sportsman like but worthy as good hunter. I do not know if any ranges would offer that type of moving shooting. But it is well believed that a 1 shot kill is always the rule of thumb but often is not, many of the outdoor programs state that when the 1st shot is made the chamber another with out moving your eye out of the scope view and taking another shot if time allows and not to wait to see if the animal will run out of your possible area. But as practice would allow what you could do is get at a 25 yrd target setting and start your aim away from the target steadily moving towards the target pull your shot when you believe you would hit the bullseye and as you pass the target as following through with your shot eject and chamber another round and move back towards the target then shooting the bullseye again. As you swing your rifle in one direction and then back the other direction this would allow you the motorskills to take your game running in any direction to your left or right and and still keeping this type of shooting safe. This is just my idea how to shoot on running game.
A-FIXER

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Moving targets
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
Having both missed shots at running deer this year, my uncle and I were discussing this same topic.  Our plan is to mount a target on an old tire and roll the tire down a hill.  That will help mimic the random nature of a deer running.  I think about a 4" "dot" should do the trick for aiming purposes.