< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Last ENGC action pistol match of 2010....  (Read 1393 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Last ENGC action pistol match of 2010....
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
For everyone who shoots USPSA pistol matches:

The Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters' last USPSA pistol match of the year is this Sunday, Dec 5th.  Reload some ammo, get your gear ready, and come on out to ENGC for some fun stages...

http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com
http://www.engc.us

Registration starts at 7:30am (by all means, come early to help set up!), and shooting starts at 10am.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Last ENGC action pistol match of 2010....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »
How many rounds do we need to bring?  I swear I'm going to make it one of these days.

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »
How many rounds do we need to bring?  I swear I'm going to make it one of these days.

That makes two of us!!!!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:38:35 AM »
I would recommend you bring 200-250 just to be safe. You will likely only shoot 150 or less, but just in case you have a re-shoot or something

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
"I would recommend you bring 200-250 just to be safe. You will likely only shoot 150 or less, but just in case you have a re-shoot or something"

Agreed.  5 stages, and each stage is anywhere from 8 to 32 rounds---and we like shooting, so most of our stages end up over 20 rounds--so technically, 150 rounds should do it.  (This, of course, assumes you never miss, and if there is a Texas Star on the stage, that assumption is a BAD one...  :-\  )

I dislike loading magazines between stages, so I own a ton of glock mags.  ;D  I load 25 magazines (I shoot Production division, so I only get 10 rounds per mag, so I generally carry 5 mags per stage) and bring an extra hundred rounds just in case.

Never have needed the extras, and always have a lot of rounds left afterward---but having lots more that you don't need is much better than the alternative.  :)  (And no, you don't need that amount of equipment to shoot.  I'm just lazy, and would rather load mags while I'm sitting at home.)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »
Sounds good, barring some unforeseen calamity (which seems to be happening a lot lately) I'll be there.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
Ok, a couple of questions....

First, I only have 4 mags for my M&P 9.  Looks like I'll be shooting in Production division, do you think will this be enough?  Hopefully I won't miss much  :o

Second, I'm debating what holster to use.  I have an el cheapo nylon think thats works ok, but I also have a home made Kydex holster that seems to work really well.  It retains the gun well and draws fast, but I'm concerned that I may not have covered the trigger guard well enough.  The trigger itself is not exposed (except for a tiny bit at the very top) and can't be bumped when it's holstered, but the back of the trigger guard isn't covered.  I wasn't sure what's required.  Here's a pic from my phone:

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:15 PM »
Kydex will probably be best, bring both just in case. 4 mags will get you by for most stages....... If there is some convoluted stage that requires 5 reloads, then chances are usually pretty good you can borrow a mag from someone

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
"First, I only have 4 mags for my M&P 9.  Looks like I'll be shooting in Production division, do you think will this be enough?  Hopefully I won't miss much."

Shouldn't really be a problem.  I just carry 5 (and sometimes 6) because I'm paranoid, and have managed in the past to fling a perfectly good full magazine downrange when I was trying to reload.  So I bring extra.  If you don't do anything nearly that stupid, you'll be fine.  :)  (Or in case I have a faulty mag for some reason--though I shoot Glock, so mags are not nearly the problem that they can be in other guns.)  And like Chris said, someone else will probably be shooting an M&P there, and so if you need one, someone will probably let you borrow a mag.

"Second, I'm debating what holster to use.  I have an el cheapo nylon think thats works ok, but I also have a home made Kydex holster that seems to work really well.  It retains the gun well and draws fast, but I'm concerned that I may not have covered the trigger guard well enough."

I agree with Chris, that you should just bring both and have people take a look.  It would be better if the whole trigger guard was covered, but technically as long as the trigger isn't accessible (and it looks like it isn't) you'll be fine. 

The one thing extra I _would_ say is that don't worry about really fast draws.  :)  Unless the stage is a 3-second burner (and I don't think any of them will be) taking an extra 0.5 second on the draw won't make any difference at all, comparatively, and you are much more likely to have a safe, perfect grip on the gun otherwise---which will make your shooting faster and better.

See you there!