< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Next Pistol?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
Next Pistol?
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:26 AM »
So I have been saving up for a Rock Island Tactical Compact, but I saw one of these for 600 at the Gun Store in Kearney, and have been on the fence now.

S&W M&P45, Link:Youtube,

Pros/Cons
-------------
Pros 1911: I already have a 1911, so mags, holsters, etc would fit.
               Costs less than the M&P.
               Smaller than the M&P.

Pros M&P: It's lighter than 1911.
               S&W has a lifetime warranty.
               It looks awesome.

Anyone have any thoughts?
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Next Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »
I have a Rock Island 4" Mil Spec as my carry gun so I can give you some opinion on your question.

Love the Rock, it always goes bang when I want it to and it is very accurate.
Don't remember the Warrenty info off the top of my head but I do know the Importer in Nevada stands behind them.  They have taken care of issues for second and third generation owners and helped with any issue with the gun they can, even taking care of some of the older guns that are under the Charles Daily name (same manufacturer in the Phillipines made these).

Now the fall back - it is an all steel gun which means it is heavy for that reason I am considering getting a Glock (it also would be used for other things), personally the lower amount of rounds it (a 1911) carries in the magazine is not an issue for me but for some it is. 

I find that I hit all the time with my 1911 and only 50% with other guns what is better hitting 7 out of 7 or 7 out of 14.  I know if I practiced with another gun as much as I have with a 1911 I would become just as good with it as I am the 1911, but it has taken me 25 years of shooting to get where I am with the 1911.

Both guns are good guns neither would be a bad choice.  It comes down to what you want and are comfortable shooting.  If you are going to be learning a new platform with either I might lean toward the M&P just because of the weight issue, but thats me.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:36:32 PM »
I've never shot the .45 model, but I absolutely love my M&P 9mm.  With an Apex sear it's about 90% as good as a nice 1911 trigger.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:38 PM »
The M&P is a great gun! Shoot a polymer framed .45 next to a steel framed 1911, and you will be amazed at the difference and how much softer the polymer framed guns shoot.

Only down side I see with the M&P 45 is that the mags are only 10 rds.... Compared to Glock and Springfield XD which both hold 13

I own an M&P 9, and if Glock was not an option for me anymore, M&P would likely be my next choice in Polymer framed guns

Offline wingz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »
I have the M&P in .40. So far I really like it. Felt recoil is minimal, accuracy is good for me out to 40 yards. I tested one out at the bullet hole in Omaha before I bought mine. Only have 1000 rounds through mine so far so I can't attest to the warranty or longevity, but it has never failed to go boom yet. Good luck in your quest!