< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW Ordinances  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Coyote Dan

• Forum Member
CCW Ordinances
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
Greetings,

I am new to this site forum and joined to speak about the CCW reform that took place against permit holders.  I have personally spoken to Steve Shaw, the legislature in Lincoln that wrote the right to carry law.  He told me on both occasions when we spoke, and I quote "it was never our intention that individual cities would be able to override the CCW permit law".  He stated that it was these cites that were choosing to define and interpret that last clause to fit their own needs.  He clearly said it was not their intentions.
     The bad news is that to get it changed, one must address the legislature when they meet in January and it is becoming too late now for this years session.  All though the NRA has a representative that will be sent, I don't know that this will be 1st on their agenda. 
     Shaw also stated that the only other way to get the definition interpreted properly was to challenge a CCW charge in court.  I don't know about you all, but I can't see anyone wanting to play the scapegoat and spend the money to try it.  If you did not prevail, your license would be revoked and you would have a CCW charge on your record.  In short, you would be a criminal. 
     What do you think?  I mean this is where we have to start and its going to take organized work.  We would have to start at the bottom with NRA and Judicial Branch to get the interpretation correct.  That is going to take, effort, and money; all which people seem to be short on these days.   

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
Re: CCW Ordinances
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
I'd say it's just about time for the first Nebraska Firearms Owners Association poll to determine our legislative priorites for the 2009 session.  Maybe premption will be our top issue.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »
All though the NRA has a representative that will be sent, I don't know that this will be 1st on their agenda. 

As evidenced last go-round, the NRA's agenda  and OUR interests are NOT necessarily the same thing.

Here's hopin' that somebody more effective than Jordan Austin is sent......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »
JoeMerchant, on his blog, considers a bill to rid us of local restrictions is "likely".  I don't know if "likely" means it's likely to pass or merely come up for a vote. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »
I'd say it's just about time for the first Nebraska Firearms Owners Association poll to determine our legislative priorites for the 2009 session.  Maybe premption will be our top issue.

The NFOA Board of Directors is discussing this very issue as we speak. Stay tuned for more information on this.

Offline ARTEDNA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
This is off subject a little -does a city that has a ordinace against CCW do they by law,have to post a sign at the city limits?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
This is off subject a little -does a city that has a ordinace against CCW do they by law,have to post a sign at the city limits?

No the cities are not required to post it. However the cities of Seward and Beatrice are so blatantly against CCW they do post the No CCW signs right by the "Welcome to our city" signs.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
No the cities are not required to post it. However the cities of Seward and Beatrice are so blatantly against CCW they do post the No CCW signs right by the "Welcome to our city" signs.

Don't forget Kearny!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »

I thought those were "Don't spend money here" signs? :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller